Speculation: Possible Coaching Change?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
why would they extend him? "Here's a season, earn your next contract" that's what I'd say not that I want him back..........
Better question, why would Gallant and Q work for Keefe ? And I doubt Keefe wants them anywhere near the bench waiting for him to get fired.

Reactions: myleafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bring on Roy.

If nothing else it would make for some great headlines during the season and who knows, maybe he's nuclear meltdowns would inject a much-needed pulse into this group come playoff time.

I think the fact that he creates drama on his own will be an issue. But we almost need a snap show dynamic to combat the comatose personality we seem to have.

Reactions: kevsh and myleafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Better question, why would Gallant and Q work for Keefe ? And I doubt Keefe wants them anywhere near the bench waiting for him to get fired.

I wonder how different Keefe will be now that he’s no longer kind of in lock step with management above, same hive mind as the GM.

Reactions: ToneDog

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
It would be pretty funny if Brendan Shanahan and co. hired Patrick Wah.
Nagano 98' Olympic teammates
but did Roy ever Forgive Shanahan for this;
lol

Screenshot_20230606-130000_Opera.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: the squared circle

myleafs

May 25, 2021
There's no doubt that he cares. It's that he doesn't know how to care in a healthy way. He lets it eat him, rather than drive him. He tied how much he cares in with his ego, which is enormously insecure. He cares so much, but he wilts under the pressure of it all. Honestly, he'd be better if he cared just a little less. The passion will one day become a strength for him, but for now it's killing him and the real question is if he can learn to handle it here. For my money, I don't think he can, I think he needs to go somewhere where he cares just a little less so he can learn to carry the burden rather than drop it.

He's on this wild Quixotic journey to becoming a man and a true hockey player™, and the problem is that our team is riding the roller coaster with him.
I wish he would hurry up because none of us including him are getting any younger

Reactions: LeafGrief

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Same coach and same core can not be brought back. Sure, go ahead and improve the D, but it has not been the issue. The issue is the offence drying up in crucial games. And Keefe has no answers how to get things going or how to get to hot goalies. Look at what Vegas is doing. Cassidy was available last year but dumbass thought Keefe could be the next Trotz or whatever. If BT now brings back the core and the coach, i won’t have any confidence that 2024 won't be same old same old.
Im having deja vu all over again

Just have to look at Vegas (and Panthers for that matter) cap allocation compared to the Leafs to see what the problem is.

Last edited:

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There's no doubt that he cares. It's that he doesn't know how to care in a healthy way. He lets it eat him, rather than drive him. He tied how much he cares in with his ego, which is enormously insecure. He cares so much, but he wilts under the pressure of it all. Honestly, he'd be better if he cared just a little less. The passion will one day become a strength for him, but for now it's killing him and the real question is if he can learn to handle it here. For my money, I don't think he can, I think he needs to go somewhere where he cares just a little less so he can learn to carry the burden rather than drop it.

He's on this wild Quixotic journey to becoming a man and a true hockey player™, and the problem is that our team is riding the roller coaster with him.
I have been saying this for a couple of years now whenever someone says he doesn't give a shit. It is, as you pointed out, the exact opposite. When he leaves this market he will become a much better player without having the hometown pressure that he feels. I think after watching the playoff interviews with FLA that he might be at the point that he would welcome a change.

Reactions: LeafGrief

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Perhaps the new GM acquires some picks?

IMO, this looks to be the most interesting off season in a long time. I don't really pay attention to the draft though.
I hope your right cause im flip flopping from the most interesting to the most disappointing

Joel Quenville. This would be my choice if it were up to me. Clearly the best candidate available IMO. The resume speaks for itself. Highly competitive personality who clearly knows how to motivate. I think if the league reinstates him, he needs to be our target. Players love playing for Q, and he knows how to get the most out of them as well. I don't know if Rogers and/or Bell have the stones to make this happen, but I do think he is a worthy reclamation project if he shows accountability for his actions/inactions. If the league deems him fit to coach in the NHL again, we don't need to employ a moral compass that is harsher than that judgment. But that is just my opinion on the matter.
I get the feeling that is a big NO

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I get the feeling that is a big NO
Ya I agree with you on that. Rogers and Bell care far more about their brand image than winning hockey games.

I by no means am trying to insinuate Q is an angel who has been mislabeled. His inaction and advocacy towards Brad Aldridge directly resulted in other offences. I do not find it fair as an outsider to continue to throw stones at a man without knowing the entirety of how things went down. There are always 2 sides to every story, and it really feels like Q was caught somewhere in the middle of it all. He's not HR, and he also has never worked in a normal environment before. People seem to forget that. Professional sport is not like your typical 9-5 workplace. It's hardly like Q was ever educated on how to tackle issues like the one he was dealt with. Do I agree with how he eventually handled it? of course not. But I also have empathy for the fact that Q was in the middle of a cup run, and understandably had a lot more on his plate.

In my mind, he is not beyond rehabilitation. Whether that is with us, or another team. He's paid a price, and as long as he shows accountability he should be reinstated.

That said, Bell and Rogers don't care about the NHL ruling. They care far more about the court of public opinion. Which is a shame TBH

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Ya I agree with you on that. Rogers and Bell care far more about their brand image than winning hockey games.

I by no means am trying to insinuate Q is an angel who has been mislabeled. His inaction and advocacy towards Brad Aldridge directly resulted in other offences. I do not find it fair as an outsider to continue to throw stones at a man without knowing the entirety of how things went down. There are always 2 sides to every story, and it really feels like Q was caught somewhere in the middle of it all. He's not HR, and he also has never worked in a normal environment before. People seem to forget that. Professional sport is not like your typical 9-5 workplace. It's hardly like Q was ever educated on how to tackle issues like the one he was dealt with. Do I agree with how he eventually handled it? of course not. But I also have empathy for the fact that Q was in the middle of a cup run, and understandably had a lot more on his plate.

In my mind, he is not beyond rehabilitation. Whether that is with us, or another team. He's paid a price, and as long as he shows accountability he should be reinstated.

That said, Bell and Rogers don't care about the NHL ruling. They care far more about the court of public opinion. Which is a shame TBH
would you say this if it was your child that Aldridge preyed on when he got referred by Q?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
would you say this if it was your child that Aldridge preyed on when he got referred by Q?
Of course there is this angle as well. I genuinely have empathy for all of the victims in this case. I am certainly not trying to dissolve Q of criticism or fault in this. He mad a decision to recommend a sex offender, and he will have to live with that poor judgement for the rest of his life.

I am sure Q in that moment would not have recommended Aldridge had he actually felt he would put vulnerable people at risk. Unfortunately that is exactly what happened.

I think the thing we have to remember is that this is all unfolding to the public in hindsight. Q made decisions in real time, and he was forced to decide what the truth was in all of this in the moment. It is easy for all of us to be critical of his decisions in that moment, but when you're paid to win games, that becomes your only focus. As I've said many times, as long as Q shows accountability for his actions, I don't see any reason to think his previous wrongdoings are beyond rehabilitation.

I did read the Jenner and Block report, but by no means does that mean I have all the facts. This is just my own personal opinion on the matter

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Aren't we lucky as fans.

Nothing says "I like losing" more than bringing Keefe back.

Keefe has been given more leash than any other coach in the NHL could beg for. The only reason he hasn't been fired yet is because Treliving is so neutered in the nether regions he probably doesn't have the authority hire a replacement. I don't know what we did as fans collectively to deserve being saddled with god awful ownership like this again.

But here we are.

Tanenbaum is an actual honest to god turd for keeping Shanahan around.

He chose friendship over business. He put his whole buddy, buddy, relationship ahead of the teams best interests. Made sure to step all over the fans in the process too.

Absolute disgrace for an owner.

At first I couldn't figure out how Shanahan still had a job. I know he is an owner's butt kisser, but it struck me as odd this failure for a president didn't get fired by now. Then Treliving was hired, Keefe got to keep his job, and it confirmed Shanahan as nothing more than a bootlick "yes" man for a meddling owner.

The fans deserve better.

We really do. The fans, the city. All of us.

We ALL deserve better.

Better than this.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Aren't we lucky as fans.

Keefe has been given more leash than any other coach in the NHL could beg for. The only reason he hasn't been fired yet is because Treliving is so neutered in the nether regions he probably doesn't have the authority hire a replacement. I don't know what we did as fans collectively to deserve being saddled with god awful ownership like this again.

But here we are.

He chose friendship over business. He put his whole buddy, buddy, relationship ahead of the teams best interests. Made sure to step all over the fans in the process too.

At first I couldn't figure out how Shanahan still had a job. I know he is an owner's butt kisser, but it struck me as odd this failure for a president didn't get fired by now. Then Treliving was hired, Keefe got to keep his job, and it confirmed Shanahan as nothing more than a bootlick "yes" man for a meddling owner.

The fans deserve better.

We ALL deserve better.

Better than this.
Pretty much been like this since Ballard took over. Until it affects their pocket books, it's business as usual, f*** the dumb, loyal fans. City needs a 2nd team but MLSEL won't share the cash cow.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Replacing a coach isn't like replacing a general manager. Remember that changing an entire coaching staff can happen in the middle of any season and within a month or two it's like the old coaching staff was never there. Yes, there can be players in place who are there to please the coach and may not mesh with the replacement coach but they're still pro hockey players motivated by competition/team/individual achievement to perform. Fortunately I don't think we have a coach in place who dominated the decision making regarding the players.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Pretty much been like this since Ballard took over. Until it affects their pocket books, it's business as usual, f*** the dumb, loyal fans. City needs a 2nd team but MLSEL won't share the cash cow.
This is one of my out-there ideas that Bell and Rogers could make a deal for the Toronto market. One gets an expansion franchise, the other gets full control of MLSE or something like that. Perfect way to overcome the territorial issues that have kept a second NHL team out of the GTA.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Silence on this matter could go either way.

Could mean that Treliving is going to roll with Keefe to start the year otherwise why keep him guessing still?

Or since Treliving hasn’t officially come out and said Keefe is staying, he’s looking around at other potential candidates?

Ideally Keefe is fired.

Reactions: Buds17

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This is one of my out-there ideas that Bell and Rogers could make a deal for the Toronto market. One gets an expansion franchise, the other gets full control of MLSE or something like that. Perfect way to overcome the territorial issues that have kept a second NHL team out of the GTA.
Bring back the Toronto Toros!

1686492328815.png

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

Q will never be allowed to coach this team. They hired and fired Dusty in a matter of a week or so because he liked some tweets on twitter that were not considered mainstream. There is Zero chance they will allow a coach like Q who has been run out of the league to come here. I look at it in a different way. If we can let people out of jail after serving their sentences...why are we not applying the same logic to a coach who's role in the whole thing is not clear?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Silence on this matter could go either way.

Could mean that Treliving is going to roll with Keefe to start the year otherwise why keep him guessing still?

Or since Treliving hasn’t officially come out and said Keefe is staying, he’s looking around at other potential candidates?

Ideally Keefe is fired.

Ideally, you make your moves this summer. Not have this wait and see attitude that wastes another year. Put the best team out there to contend for the cup in 2024.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Aren't we lucky as fans.

But here we are.

The fans deserve better.

We ALL deserve better.

Better than this.
A lot of your point I agree with, but let's judge Treliving by what he's done, and not what he hasn't done.

For all we know he's in a bidding war to hire the best coach out there.

As far I can tell all he's done is hire Doan as a special consultant. This doesn't really say that ownership has him by nuts does it?

Also why would ownership be loyal to Sheldon Keefe? How does Bell/Rogers prophet from him being there? Perhaps it's the opposite: Keefe has cost them big-time playoff revenue.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
H
A lot of your point I agree with, but let's judge Treliving by what he's done, and not what he hasn't done.

For all we know he's in a bidding war to hire the best coach out there.

As far I can tell all he's done is hire Doan as a special consultant. This doesn't really say that ownership has him by nuts does it?

Also why would ownership be loyal to Sheldon Keefe? How does Bell/Rogers prophet from him being there? Perhaps it's the opposite: Keefe has cost them big-time playoff revenue.

Hiring Doan is a nothing move akin to hiring Spezza.

Ownership may not be loyal to Keefe. But they are to Shanahan. And Shanahan is loyal to Keefe.

I don't understand what the point was in hiring Treliving if he isn't able to replace.the coach or trade a member of the core.

The search for a new GM started and ended with him.

Much like the search for Babcock's replacement only saw one candidate interviewed.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
H

Hiring Doan is a nothing move akin to hiring Spezza.

Ownership may not be loyal to Keefe. But they are to Shanahan. And Shanahan is loyal to Keefe.

I don't understand what the point was in hiring Treliving if he isn't able to replace.the coach or trade a member of the core.

The search for a new GM started and ended with him.

Much like the search for Babcock's replacement only saw one candidate interviewed.
I've got to get away from this negative/self-loathing/all-loathing oven you're in. It's just too hot.

This is not a conversation. This is you telling everyone that you hate everything.

The new season is in October. This is not The French Revolution where everyone is getting the guillotine for your satisfaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad