Portzline leaving the Dispatch

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I heard Tom Reed shooting questions at Joe Thomas during a Browns practice. Didn't realize he fully left the Dispatch again. Huge blow to CBJ coverage in the Dispatch losing both Porty and Reed in one swoop

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Can't underestimate the superstar's desire to win the Cup before their career is over. This along with a potential homecoming would ramp Nash's effort to 11. Depending on the price, I certainly wouldn't oppose it.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I scanned the Ohio Sta.........er.....I mean Columbus Dispatch this morning before church. I was wondering if they might have a Blue Jackets article since many of the guys are returning to town. The Sunday sports section has more room than any other, so I thought there might be a chance (cue Lloyd Christmas).

At this point, we, as Jackets Fans, might want to consume the final weeks of the off-season by entertaining ourselves. We could get a pool going on when the next Dispatch article would appear. I guess we could make a poll out of it.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I scanned the Ohio Sta.........er.....I mean Columbus Dispatch this morning before church. I was wondering if they might have a Blue Jackets article since many of the guys are returning to town. The Sunday sports section has more room than any other, so I thought there might be a chance (cue Lloyd Christmas).

At this point, we, as Jackets Fans, might want to consume the final weeks of the off-season by entertaining ourselves. We could get a pool going on when the next Dispatch article would appear. I guess we could make a poll out of it.

I have been a fan of the Dispatch in the past, but since the Athletic has come to the forefront, I must say that their coverage of the Jackets is outstanding. A day doesn't go by that there isn't at least one article. It is well worth the money. I look at it as a subscription to a local sports print magazine only on the web. I highly endorse the Athletic, and will not spend too much time with the Dispatch for CBJ coverage. Of course, if you have a problem with Porty and Reed, the former writers at the Dispatch, then the Athletic is probably not for you. But it is well worth the price.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Portzline wrong once again. Said they weren't close to a deal when, yesterday?

This morning. About 8 hours before deal announced. Got scooped on the deal as well.

So in one day he posted an article about sides not being close and the deal got done without him breaking it.

Yeah, he's really in tune with what's going on with the franchise.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Got scooped by whom? A national guy?

Look at all professional sports. Rarely do local guys ever break any signings or trades, it's all national guys.

hcs76

Sep 27, 2006
This board has a really weird obsession with Aaron Portzline.

It's true and it's frustrating.

Portzline is a very good beat writer. Not a national writer. I bet he has some national sources, but if this story was "broken" i bet it was done so by someone with a connection to Pat Brisson. I'll admit i don't really know.

I think with a beat writer it's fair to expect complete coverage of the local market, the players on that team, including the farm team, the coaches, the executives. That's that person's focus. Does it really matter that he/she is not reporting something 5 minutes before someone else? Portzline, as beat writer, has in-depth knowledge of this team and market that no one else does and it's not really replaceable. The national guys have national sources as they're asked to track the entire league. He's asked to track one team. Pat Brisson is a national guy with a national client base. It fits a national writer would have the story first.

I believe he said that neither Wenny nor Anderson "seemed" close to signing. With Anderson it's clear as to the "why" there given the public back and forth between agent and Kekalainen, Anderson skating in Switzerland and so forth, in terms of Wenny if there were "dots" to that surmise, perhaps Portzline should have outlined them in his story. if there were not "dots" along the same lines, then perhaps Portzline got out a little over his skis and if so, that probably was a small mistake. He has done this before, he "goes with his gut" a little at times and it seems to rub people on this board the wrong way who apparently think they could "trade up" to a better beat writer.

However, see Jardy's article on Wennberg's contract today in the Dispatch. Dry as a bone, very little history as to why this signing matters from a salary cap perspective for the coming years, or as to what Wennberg may grow into as a #1 center, etc. You got basically no context. People on this board could have provided that context, right? Portzline is a much better writer and that's not to say that Jardy is garbage, for all I know.

Finally, one thing that has always bothered me about the dogpile here and on twitter about Portzline is the "stay out of politics" ridiculousness, which is really "stop saying political things that are not the same as my politics". I am willing to bet we know who 80% of them voted for. People are allowed to have a public profession and also allowed to have political opinions. And also Twitter is not defined as a platform like Linkedin where you're only supposed to use it for one purpose (i.e. work-related matters). Grow up!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have no complaints about anyone getting "scooped". That seems like a bizarre standard to hold someone to, that they tweet 5 minutes before everyone else. Like I need to read about it on the toilet the minute it happens. Porty doesn't seem to have the best sources right now, maybe since they stopped flying together, but he talks to the team a lot and has good valuable insight.

Occasionally I'm miffed with his takes - he was still referring to Wennberg well into last season as our #3C. But I wouldn't be able to read if I shut out every writer who I disagreed with. And there's plenty of beat writers around the league that aren't half as good.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
This board has a really weird obsession with Aaron Portzline.

How do you figure its an obsession?

Simply a majority here that realize he isn't a great sports beat reporter. Its really no different than you constantly shoveling out that crap about our FO supposedly not being fair with contracts/RFAs....

-------

Can he write a story here and there? Sure.

But outside of that, he's proven to be clueless as to what is going on with the team - as evidenced by his article yesterday -- which was about both Anderson & Wennberg not being close.... then suddenly the signing of Wennberg happens shortly later. Quite silly.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How do you figure its an obsession?

Simply a majority here that realize he isn't a great sports beat reporter. Its really no different than you constantly shoveling out that crap about our FO supposedly not being fair with contracts/RFAs....

-------

Can he write a story here and there? Sure.

But outside of that, he's proven to be clueless as to what is going on with the team - as evidenced by his article yesterday -- which was about both Anderson & Wennberg not being close.... then suddenly the signing of Wennberg happens shortly later. Quite silly.

First of all, the 'crap' about being unfair with contracts has been in two maybe three threads by me, an individual. Portzline is brought up in almost every single rumors or speculation thread by multiple people. Usually to bash him. He even has his own thread on here (this one). It is very different.

If he's not a great sports reporter in your eyes, then why do you care to read his stuff? If you're subscribed to The Athletic, you have plenty of other writers to read, you don't need to read his stuff. And if not, then even easier.

He got scooped on a signing and incorrectly speculated about the closeness of a deal. Big deal. He's a former beat reporter not a national insider.

I really don't understand why this board has the same expectations of their former beat reporter as it does for players on ice performance. Porty might get beaten to a scoop but he usually doesn't report false information. (And before it's posted, yes I am aware of the 2010 draft article where the title said Fowler but the body said Johansen.)

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
It's true and it's frustrating.

Portzline is a very good beat writer. Not a national writer. I bet he has some national sources, but if this story was "broken" i bet it was done so by someone with a connection to Pat Brisson. I'll admit i don't really know.

I think with a beat writer it's fair to expect complete coverage of the local market, the players on that team, including the farm team, the coaches, the executives. That's that person's focus. Does it really matter that he/she is not reporting something 5 minutes before someone else? Portzline, as beat writer, has in-depth knowledge of this team and market that no one else does and it's not really replaceable. The national guys have national sources as they're asked to track the entire league. He's asked to track one team. Pat Brisson is a national guy with a national client base. It fits a national writer would have the story first.

I believe he said that neither Wenny nor Anderson "seemed" close to signing. With Anderson it's clear as to the "why" there given the public back and forth between agent and Kekalainen, Anderson skating in Switzerland and so forth, in terms of Wenny if there were "dots" to that surmise, perhaps Portzline should have outlined them in his story. if there were not "dots" along the same lines, then perhaps Portzline got out a little over his skis and if so, that probably was a small mistake. He has done this before, he "goes with his gut" a little at times and it seems to rub people on this board the wrong way who apparently think they could "trade up" to a better beat writer.

However, see Jardy's article on Wennberg's contract today in the Dispatch. Dry as a bone, very little history as to why this signing matters from a salary cap perspective for the coming years, or as to what Wennberg may grow into as a #1 center, etc. You got basically no context. People on this board could have provided that context, right? Portzline is a much better writer and that's not to say that Jardy is garbage, for all I know.

Finally, one thing that has always bothered me about the dogpile here and on twitter about Portzline is the "stay out of politics" ridiculousness, which is really "stop saying political things that are not the same as my politics". I am willing to bet we know who 80% of them voted for. People are allowed to have a public profession and also allowed to have political opinions. And also Twitter is not defined as a platform like Linkedin where you're only supposed to use it for one purpose (i.e. work-related matters). Grow up!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

"Stay out of politics" = "don't care about human existence or the state of our society b/c your not a politician"

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I highly recommend subscribing to the Athletic. They are placing an emphasis on hockey coverage on the site. A great article is up by Justin Bourne on how video is influencing the NHL as it relates to the lack of offense in the game. Bourne also goes into detail how much video the players actually watch and how their performance is broken down by video coaches so that they can improve even the slightest flaw in their game.

There will also be articles on every team's farm system, the incoming draft class, trends, player evaluation, etc. You may not like Porty's writing, but there is enough on the site that any hockey fan will find worthwhile

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
When a story breaks, my focus is on the story, not who broke it. Almost never do I stop and think about who breaks a story.

I want a story correct, complete with background and some analysis. What I like best is a basic announcement, then a later followup which includes quotes, and perspective on how things fit together and what this means for other players and other teams.

Others can dump on Aaron and not like his work. That's your choice. Maybe you want something different than me.

I'll take correct over first every time.

Oh yea....well written with proper grammar and all them punctuation thingys too (but y'all knew that part already).

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The same people who say "stay out of politics" talk about politics ALL the time when they are at work, but they don't want anyone else to do it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So, who would you suggest to follow on Twitter for the best CBJ coverage?

Depends on how frequently you like tweets to pop up in your timeline, if you want them to be a credentialed media member, etc.

I'd say Portzline and Tom Reed from The Athletic - they typically tweet out straightforward stuff. You'll get lost on Porty's timeline if you catch his in-game tweets without watching (he tweets out stuff fast so there's typically no context in those tweets).

Mark Scheig is a good follow as well.

Maetzold and Shelley are good follows, but as team employees you won't see a whole lot of negative in there even if it's warranted.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
So, who would you suggest to follow on Twitter for the best CBJ coverage?

On Twitter, for the Blue Jackets I follow;

@CBJProspects - They put up snippets and clips of what the franchise prospects are doing.
@CBJFoundation - Charity events and works.
@TReed1919 - Dispatch writer has moved to The Athletic
@APortzline - Ditto
@BobbyMacSports - Bob McElligott has his CBJ in 30 podcasts linked and announced to Twitter, usually a daily thing during the season.
@LeoWelch - a quiet Twitter user, but some interesting stuff.
@RobMixer - Writer and contributor to several publications
@BlueJacketsNHL - official team feed
@ShellyHawk45 - Jody Shelly - usually some good takes.

For General Hockey;
@TSNBobMcKenzie - always has insight and good rumors on deals
@Craig Custance - The Athletic Editor
@KeeperoftheCup - Phil Pritchard - I wish I could be this guy!
@Buccigross - John Buccigross - if you never played Bucci's Overtime Challenge, you need to check it out.

I also follow a couple players. Bobrovsky has joined Twitter this summer and it has been fun and interesting watching him travel all around Europe and Russia. He just put up a picture of him rock climbing in Aspen Colo this morning. It has been amazing to watch him get more and more familiar with English and engage with fans and friends.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
On Twitter, for the Blue Jackets I follow;

@CBJProspects - They put up snippets and clips of what the franchise prospects are doing.
@CBJFoundation - Charity events and works.
@TReed1919 - Dispatch writer has moved to The Athletic
@APortzline - Ditto
@BobbyMacSports - Bob McElligott has his CBJ in 30 podcasts linked and announced to Twitter, usually a daily thing during the season.
@LeoWelch - a quiet Twitter user, but some interesting stuff.
@RobMixer - Writer and contributor to several publications
@BlueJacketsNHL - official team feed
@ShellyHawk45 - Jody Shelly - usually some good takes.

For General Hockey;
@TSNBobMcKenzie - always has insight and good rumors on deals
@Craig Custance - The Athletic Editor
@KeeperoftheCup - Phil Pritchard - I wish I could be this guy!
@Buccigross - John Buccigross - if you never played Bucci's Overtime Challenge, you need to check it out.

I also follow a couple players. Bobrovsky has joined Twitter this summer and it has been fun and interesting watching him travel all around Europe and Russia. He just put up a picture of him rock climbing in Aspen Colo this morning. It has been amazing to watch him get more and more familiar with English and engage with fans and friends.

This is a good list. Also @FriedgeHNIC, @DarrenDreger as a national media types. If you want news first, Bobby Mac or these two usually have it.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a subsciption to The Athletic. $4 a month for legitimate hockey coverage (and other sports I follow) sounds like a good deal considering how far the Dispatch has fallen

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a subsciption to The Athletic. $4 a month for legitimate hockey coverage (and other sports I follow) sounds like a good deal considering how far the Dispatch has fallen

I'm in the same boat, especially with it being 30% off today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad