Portzline leaving the Dispatch

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Well, after noting last week that I was considering it, I subscribed to the Athletic over the weekend. Thought I might be wasting a few dollars, and would not access it often enough, but y'all convinced me to give it a shot.

What I am finding is that I did not waste the subscription fee, but I am wasting productive work time!!! Thinking (hoping) that the amount of time reading will subside once I catch up (just subscribed Sunday).

For the most part, good stuff. Some of the writing in other sports (or other teams) is a bit rough, but for the most part the content is good.
And much to my surprise Portzline's articles on the CBJ have fluctuated from well-written to excellent. Maybe he is working harder to make an impression on his new job, maybe the platform gives him more flexibility that better suits his style, but whatever the reason, the Porty articles I've read thus far are a clear cut above what he was writing in the Dispatch.

My only concern is that I may still have to read the Dispatch or some other source for the game-by-game reports. That remains to be seen for CBJ, but the stuff on the Tribe, for example, is good stuff but not a report on the game from the night before. 50,000 foot view. The Athletic, to its credit, said as much in its own marketing, so not a complaint as much as an observation. Might be enough for me if they just added a box score section.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We must be bored if we still have this thread going. AP was ok, but no reason I'd follow him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We must be bored if we still have this thread going. AP was ok, but no reason I'd follow him.
It's kind of abruptly shifted from the "Portzline moved" thread to the "The Athletic is actually kind of good" thread.

I'm waiting for them to add Nashville and Boston so that I can finally tell a friend of mine "you are out of excuses, subscribe now". ;)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Reed has a great piece up on Dubi.

https://theathletic.com/100363/2017...-important-offseason-in-blue-jackets-history/

“When I got here, I heard so much about Jeff Carter and the fact he hated it here and that he wanted out and there were questions about whether I would be the same way,” Dubinsky said. “I didn’t feel that way at all. I wanted to be part of the solution, not the problem.”

Last week, Dubinsky reflected on his final season in New York with typical candor.

“I remember Torts telling me, ‘I can't give you 20 minutes of ice time anymore, you’re not performing well enough,’ ” Dubinsky said. “As much as you hate hearing that, you love it for the fact he’s honest. … When I left New York, I left pissed off, but as I look back on it, he was right. And he’s the same fair guy he’s always been.”

“Columbus is home now,” he said. “I didn’t know where I was going to end up, but after getting here for a little while, I knew this was it for a lot of reasons. Trust me, it’s not BS. I'm dead serious: I have lived in New York, and I would 1,000 percent rather live here.”

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Just read Adam Jarty's CBJ Notebook piece in today's Ohio Sta.....errr....I mean...Columbus Dispatch.

He said that Anderson is having Visa problems and would probably be in on Thursday evening.

I listened to the conference, so I know he meant Wennberg. But these type of mistakes make me question the writer and editor responsible for looking over the work. What else did they get wrong I didn't catch? Casual fans and readers have to be scratching their collective heads.

Can somebody look at a print copy and tell me if it went out that way?

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
Just read Adam Jarty's CBJ Notebook piece in today's Ohio Sta.....errr....I mean...Columbus Dispatch.

He said that Anderson is having Visa problems and would probably be in on Thursday evening.

I listened to the conference, so I know he meant Wennberg. But these type of mistakes make me question the writer and editor responsible for looking over the work. What else did they get wrong I didn't catch? Casual fans and readers have to be scratching their collective heads.

I read it this morning and it did say exactly that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I suspect this is yet another symptom of just how good the Dispatch had it with Portzline and Reed w/r/t Jackets coverage. I for one have pretty much dropped the Dispatch entirely from my regular news gathering cycle.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Plus I inferred that Adam doesn't know the difference between infer and imply since he said Torts inferred that Anderson would have problems if he wasn't in camp.Yikes!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
https://theathletic.com/103559/2017...ue-jackets-ryan-murray-seeks-to-elevate-play/

Murray conceded to The Athletic on Saturday that he never expected to come to training camp with the Blue Jackets this fall. The trade rumors that swirled all summer made too much sense.

“After everything this summer, and after how last season went,” Murray said, “I didn’t think there was a chance in hell I’d be back here.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad