Portzline leaving the Dispatch

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I don't like that title. "Still with Blue Jackets.." I mean i know Porty was eager to expose Murray but, this is TMZ level to me.

I sure hope that Ryan will react exactly opposite to Duchene to all this rumours and JK actually spoke to him about that..

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Another really nice piece today on Zach spending the off-season working on his one-timer so he can be better offensively.

https://theathletic.com/104906/2017...eason-werenski-seeks-to-sharpen-finer-points/

His private coach, Brandon Naurato of Total Package Hockey in Detroit, was given passcode access to the Blue Jackets’ video system so he could watch literally all 2,096 of Werenski’s shifts during the season.

By almost every statistical measure last season, Werenski was among the NHL’s best defensemen. But in shooting percentage, his 5.9 percent was tied for 51st among defensemen who played more than 41 games.

Within that number, Naurato found that Werenski was more accurate with a one-timer when the pass was side-to-side, say a pass across the blue line from his playing partner Seth Jones.

He was less accurate when the puck he one-timed was coming from low to high, such as a pass from below the goal line from a forward to Werenski on the point.

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013
@spin Thanks for sharing the gist of the Athletic article - I have somehow managed to avoid buying it so far so I really appreciate hearing the gist of it.

My thoughts are that it could be tough for Werenski to focus on the one timer with such a high flex stick. He's a 220 lb guy using like an 80 flex or something like that, which makes wristers easier but slappers harder.

And I am curious to see some improved endurance and quickness. There were just a lot of games last year where Bob had to bail him out because Werenski didn't have the legs. It's startling to think about how much better he can become, he was already so good.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Since the Dispatch has STILL not assigned a hockey writer to the CBJ, I subscribed for a year. I'd like it much more if it were an Ohio edition that included Cincinnati "pro" teams (and I use that term loosely)

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
There was a Dispatch Podcast released yesterday. Michael Arace did it solo with special guest Jarmo K. At the outset, Arace mentioned that the Dispatch is conducting a "nationwide search" for two full-time hockey beat writers. I found that interesting because it was the first indication I have seen or heard about what level of commitment The Dispatch was going to make to covering the Blue Jackets. Maybe others have heard this previously, but it was news to me.

Jarmo opened with a plug for the Juvenile Diabetes event scheduled for this weekend. I guess he is the Honorary Chair for the event. When talk moved to hockey, he was outstanding in providing every cliche in his General Manager arsenal. No specifics about Boone's injury. No specifics about who is going to make the team. No specifics about any trade news.

I was left with the thought about the old joke of a contributor having a "face made for radio", but in Arace's case, he has a voice made for newspapers.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There was a Dispatch Podcast released yesterday. Michael Arace did it solo with special guest Jarmo K. At the outset, Arace mentioned that the Dispatch is conducting a "nationwide search" for two full-time hockey beat writers. I found that interesting because it was the first indication I have seen or heard about what level of commitment The Dispatch was going to make to covering the Blue Jackets. Maybe others have heard this previously, but it was news to me.

Selfishly, I am pissed that they didn't leave a year from now. I would be out of college and would apply for that job. I wouldn't get it, since I have no experience yet, but I would have applied anyway.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Selfishly, I am pissed that they didn't leave a year from now. I would be out of college and would apply for that job. I wouldn't get it, since I have no experience yet, but I would have applied anyway.

One of Porty's stated reasons for leaving was he sees print media as the past and online media the future. No question building experience and a resume is your first priority and I wish you good luck when you exit Thur the college door to open the door to your next like phase.

PS - one note of advice though....don't wear the bag in your first interview. :)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
What is a Techbro? Is being a techbro a positive thing or negative thing?

Techbro definition
October 21, 2017 Urban Dictionary
A bro dance music artist/producer/DJ, whom frequently possesses ignorant and bigoted characteristics.​

As time marches on, I'm more and more feeling like an Old Guy that is out of touch with the world around me.

See, I don't even know what a bro dance is. I try to look it up and do the right thing, but I'm still confused. When I was growing up and for most of my adult life, being ignorant and bigoted were not good things. But now, I'm not so certain that is correct anymore. I'm not even certain if one of those characteristics are "bliss" anymore.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
What is a Techbro? Is being a techbro a positive thing or negative thing?

Techbro definition
October 21, 2017 Urban Dictionary
A bro dance music artist/producer/DJ, whom frequently possesses ignorant and bigoted characteristics.​

As time marches on, I'm more and more feeling like an Old Guy that is out of touch with the world around me.

See, I don't even know what a bro dance is. I try to look it up and do the right thing, but I'm still confused. When I was growing up and for most of my adult life, being ignorant and bigoted were not good things. But now, I'm not so certain that is correct anymore. I'm not even certain if one of those characteristics are "bliss" anymore.

That's not a good definition. It's about the out-of-touch arrogance and complete lack of concern for others.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Interesting that Portzline has remained silent as his new employer pissed on the newspaper industry, after he spent the past few years accosting everyone and their brother on Twitter over the importance of print media.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Interesting that Portzline has remained silent as his new employer pissed on the newspaper industry, after he spent the past few years accosting everyone and their brother on Twitter over the importance of print media.

Portzline has backtracked a bit recently, I believe he's even said in his Ask Porty sessions that he got out of print media because he sees the online medium as more viable long-term.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Portzline has backtracked a bit recently, I believe he's even said in his Ask Porty sessions that he got out of print media because he sees the online medium as more viable long-term.
He also said that in a Denver radio interview with a fellow who covers the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad