Portzline leaving the Dispatch

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
I read them, but nothing made me think Portzy was a flaming liberal.

There's such a thing as being anti-Trump and not being political. Much of the angst toward the president has nothing to do with politics or leanings. Portzline believes in the freedom of the press and is a journalist.

Freedom of the press is not a political issue. It's an anti-Trump position. Republicans are not opposed to the freedom of the press. Check that -- I am not sure what Republicans actually hold as values anymore. And I am/was a Republican.

I think he touched healthcare at some point, which is political -- but the feeling that people should be taken care of -- in my opinion isn't political especially when people have seen the benefits of healthcare in their personal lives.

He was posing liberal stuff long before Trump arrived on the scene.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
Not to try to hijack the thread or make it even more political, but what's the point of censorship or putting a muzzle on? Part of the problem with modern day politics is that neither side will talk anything out anymore, its this way or the highway. There's no budging. Talking about things is good. Whether that's everyday joes like us and Portzy or the actual people who are supposed to be doing things. Talking is good. Even if you disagree.

I understand that you (and I and probably all of his followers) follow him for hockey/CBJ news, but he's human. He can express his thoughts. As long as someone is semi-knowledgable about something political I don't mind them putting their opinion out there. I only draw the line when insults come in (racist, snowflake, etc) then it's just ignorance. This is coming from a lifelong (even though I am only 22) democrat.

Pretty much.

He isnt talking. He puts it out there then blocks anyone who pushes back.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
https://theathletic.com//78665/2017/07/26/portzline-trading-one-dream-job-for-another/?redirected=1

My job description with The Athletic is simple and bold, just like the company’s business model. Cover the Blue Jackets. Bring them to life for the hardcore fans who want insight and analysis that go beyond the day-to-day grind. Give them something they didn’t expect or never imagined, without the constraints of limited print space or early deadlines.

You won’t find game stories here. You’ll find beyond-the-game stories.

You won’t read updates on every roster move. Instead, you’ll learn what the move means, why it was made, and what might be next.

When we have breaking news to report, you’ll hear it immediately. But the goal here is to illuminate the team you care about so deeply, to bring them to life in a way that hasn’t been done previously.

This is going to evolve over time, as I find my legs with this new platform. Tell me what you like, what you don’t like and what you need. (I know you will!) But my goal at The Athletic is to give you way more than you ever expected for the price of a subscription.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Not to try to hijack the thread or make it even more political, but what's the point of censorship or putting a muzzle on? Part of the problem with modern day politics is that neither side will talk anything out anymore, its this way or the highway. There's no budging. Talking about things is good. Whether that's everyday joes like us and Portzy or the actual people who are supposed to be doing things. Talking is good. Even if you disagree.

I understand that you (and I and probably all of his followers) follow him for hockey/CBJ news, but he's human. He can express his thoughts. As long as someone is semi-knowledgable about something political I don't mind them putting their opinion out there. I only draw the line when insults come in (racist, snowflake, etc) then it's just ignorance. This is coming from a lifelong (even though I am only 22) democrat.Pretty much.

My point isn't to muzzle people, my point is the unhinged reactions and hatred to their opinions, and posts. I don't want to see these people disliked for their political opinions. That isn't fair, but it is where we are at today. People are hating other people solely because of their politics, every other quality about them be damned.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
I signed up for The Athletic now that Porty has joined on.

For $2.50 per month it isn't a huge monetary burden and I can always cancel after the season if it didn't live up to my hopes.

Anyone else jump on board?

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
My point isn't to muzzle people, my point is the unhinged reactions and hatred to their opinions, and posts. I don't want to see these people disliked for their political opinions. That isn't fair, but it is where we are at today. People are hating other people solely because of their politics, every other quality about them be damned.

I've never interpreted Porty as unhinged, but politics can bring out the worst in people. Just read the comments on any political article.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He isnt talking. He puts it out there then blocks anyone who pushes back.

Well, that's not right. But I guess some people don't like discussion which is again part of our ever polarizing politics.

I am considering an Athletic subscription but 30 bucks a year for a college student is a bit hard. I will have to think about it. If you have a subscription please let me know how the content is to help me out, it would be much appreciated :).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

In today's world a political opinion can be a pretty huge indicator of one's moral compass. I have no problem disliking people for their political opinions in many cases. :)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
In today's world a political opinion can be a pretty huge indicator of one's moral compass. I have no problem disliking people for their political opinions in many cases. :)

In today's world, political opinion of any sort is potentially immoral. It all depends on how you want to frame morality.

Hence why political discussion is so heavily moderated on here (and why Portzline would block people rather than engaging with them).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hence why political discussion is so heavily moderated on here (and why Portzline would block people rather than engaging with them).

This is an apt time to point out how well this has gone so far.

dame-de-l-accueil-enfer.jpg

imderekpoe

Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, OH
I signed up for The Athletic now that Porty has joined on.

For $2.50 per month it isn't a huge monetary burden and I can always cancel after the season if it didn't live up to my hopes.

Anyone else jump on board?

Yup. I was already considering a subscription. Porty being on board pushed me over the edge. And the 25% discount didn't hurt either.

bluejacketsfanwpsl

Dec 15, 2006
Hmm...no mention of the Kansas City Athletics or the Philadelphia Athletics. Somehow that's disappointing, but understandable.

But yeah, I've been to the site since Porty made the move. I guess I'm just unfamiliar with the concept of paying for this kind of content. It's a new model and Cleveland (and Columbus as a suburb) is one of the handful of cities targeted.

It should be interesting to see whether this hurts The Dispatch (more than migration away from print) or puts The Athletic in my face (because up until now it hasn't been).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Hmm...no mention of the Kansas City Athletics or the Philadelphia Athletics. Somehow that's disappointing, but understandable.

But yeah, I've been to the site since Porty made the move. I guess I'm just unfamiliar with the concept of paying for this kind of content. It's a new model and Cleveland (and Columbus as a suburb) is one of the handful of cities targeted.

It should be interesting to see whether this hurts The Dispatch (more than migration away from print) or puts The Athletic in my face (because up until now it hasn't been).

It's a new model for sure - subscription for content with no ads, from what looks to be a fairly highly reputable roster of writers. The promo for the first year works out to $2.50/month -> much cheaper than a Dispatch sub. So if you only got the Dispatch for the CBJ updates, The Athletic is your place. If you want high-quality sports writing & reporting across multiple sports (they're expanding - looks like the ultimate goal would be a national/North American platform with bases in most of the major cities) and not the garbage that Barstool puts out, then The Athletic may be your place.

teamkory

Dec 18, 2006
I signed up. I guess I am in the minority here where I really love Portzline's content.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think he's very very good. You can tell by the comments of other writers when he left the Dispatch how well respected he is by his peers.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think he's very very good.

I appreciate your opinion, but I'd have to say I'm in the "dime a dozen" view of AP. There's nothing special about his writing. His Q&A thing with the readers was just painful to read and proved that he really didn't know much about hockey.

We'll get an equal or better replacement without too much of an issue, assuming the Dispatch wants to.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I appreciate your opinion, but I'd have to say I'm in the "dime a dozen" view of AP. There's nothing special about his writing. His Q&A thing with the readers was just painful to read and proved that he really didn't know much about hockey.

We'll get an equal or better replacement without too much of an issue, assuming the Dispatch wants to.

Agree with this, he can't really take credit for the fact that his position exists - and that's really what's great. His writing is pretty meh. But I definitely appreciate his work over the years nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad