Portzline leaving the Dispatch

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I'll miss the daily blog and the insight. I have never heard of The Athletic. I had hoped he would join 1st Ohio Battery, a site I enjoy so far.

There is literally no reason for me to visit dispatch.com anymore now. It's amazing how poorly they've transitioned to the digital world over the last 10 years.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'll miss the daily blog and the insight. I have never heard of The Athletic. I had hoped he would join 1st Ohio Battery, a site I enjoy so far.

There is literally no reason for me to visit dispatch.com anymore now. It's amazing how poorly they've transitioned to the digital world over the last 10 years.

1st Ohio Battery is awesome.

The Athletic has had some good articles in their short time - but I haven't subscribed yet.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Don't blame him.

The Dogpatch has been unreadable to me since it was bought by that outfit in NY. I cancelled my print subscription and allowed my on-line subscription to expire. My only connection since then has been Porty's tweets.

Good luck to him in his future endeavors, and I look forward to continuing to follow him on Twitter.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
What do people do after 30 years at a company? They retire, get their pension, and then either double dip and keep their job or move onto another one.

This is pretty much standard practice. Combine that with what he's seen with his hockey writer community. He probably sees this as a more stable long-term play. He'd be right.

He's a good dude. Not sure our front office has leaks so his speculation is leaks coming out of other NHL front offices to their beat people. Not exactly the best way to get scoops for our team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Don't blame him.

Blame him for what? Having said that assuming he left voluntarily there is no one else to "blame" than the owner of decision.

As I said this has no impact on me. Even if I really liked his stuff, it still wouldn't make much difference to me. Beat writers are a dime a dozen, they'll find someone.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
1st Ohio Battery is awesome.

The Athletic has had some good articles in their short time - but I haven't subscribed yet.

i had high hopes for 1OB when Mixer and Svoboda were at the helm, but their other writers leave me shaking my head a lot...

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
i had high hopes for 1OB when Mixer and Svoboda were at the helm, but their other writers leave me shaking my head a lot...

Yeah sometimes some of the others are just posting mindless articles regurgitating --- but I just try to ignore those.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
Porty was a great writer and superb follower and covered the Blue Jackets like a pro. His mom was a teacher in my Elementary school a million years ago. Sweet lady.

I wish he would have left his left leaning political tweets out....and not blocked anyone who pushed back on them. But thats how some do it.

Good luck AP

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I wish he would have left his left leaning political tweets out....and not blocked anyone who pushed back on them. But thats how some do it.

I got blocked in '14 (I think?) for merely pointing out cap implications of his speculated/proposed Johansen for Kesler trade at the TDL that year. I wasn't even a **** about it but Porty wasn't having it.

Also, the Dispatch can launch Arace into the sun any time now.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
I got blocked in '14 (I think?) for merely pointing out cap implications of his speculated/proposed Johansen for Kesler trade at the TDL that year. I wasn't even a **** about it but Porty wasn't having it.

Also, the Dispatch can launch Arace into the sun any time now.

Yep...he has some thin skin. He still did a nice job and had a passion for the sport. Maybe he will go write for The Huffington post or something now :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Porty was a great writer and superb follower and covered the Blue Jackets like a pro. His mom was a teacher in my Elementary school a million years ago. Sweet lady.

Good luck AP

Maybe its just because I lean left too, but I didn't care for his political tweets. Its his twitter account, he can tweet what he wants, I just didn't pay attention to anything that wasn't hockey related. Same went for when Hartnell tweeted at Trump asking if he wanted to meet some of the boys.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Maybe its just because I lean left too, but I didn't care for his political tweets. Its his twitter account, he can tweet what he wants, I just didn't pay attention to anything that wasn't hockey related. Same went for when Hartnell tweeted at Trump asking if he wanted to meet some of the boys.

I sort of wish celebrities, sports writers, and sports players would keep their political views to themselves. Sadly, too many people judge others strictly for their political views rather then for everything that makes them a unique individual. But, that is where we are at today.

Unlike some others, I enjoyed reading Porty's Tweet. I had a chance to chat with him several times at the Ice House, and he was a friendly, personable guy.

He'll be fine, and I look forward to continuing to read his Tweets.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I read them, but nothing made me think Portzy was a flaming liberal.

There's such a thing as being anti-Trump and not being political. Much of the angst toward the president has nothing to do with politics or leanings. Portzline believes in the freedom of the press and is a journalist.

Freedom of the press is not a political issue. It's an anti-Trump position. Republicans are not opposed to the freedom of the press. Check that -- I am not sure what Republicans actually hold as values anymore. And I am/was a Republican.

I think he touched healthcare at some point, which is political -- but the feeling that people should be taken care of -- in my opinion isn't political especially when people have seen the benefits of healthcare in their personal lives.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I sort of wish celebrities, sports writers, and sports players would keep their political views to themselves. Sadly, too many people judge others strictly for their political views rather then for everything that makes them a unique individual. But, that is where we are at today.

Not to try to hijack the thread or make it even more political, but what's the point of censorship or putting a muzzle on? Part of the problem with modern day politics is that neither side will talk anything out anymore, its this way or the highway. There's no budging. Talking about things is good. Whether that's everyday joes like us and Portzy or the actual people who are supposed to be doing things. Talking is good. Even if you disagree.

I understand that you (and I and probably all of his followers) follow him for hockey/CBJ news, but he's human. He can express his thoughts. As long as someone is semi-knowledgable about something political I don't mind them putting their opinion out there. I only draw the line when insults come in (racist, snowflake, etc) then it's just ignorance. This is coming from a lifelong (even though I am only 22) democrat.

There's such a thing as being anti-Trump and not being political. Much of the angst toward the president has nothing to do with politics or leanings. Portzline believes in the freedom of the press and is a journalist.

Freedom of the press is not a political issue. It's an anti-Trump position. Republicans are not opposed to the freedom of the press. Check that -- I am not sure what Republicans actually hold as values anymore. And I am/was a Republican.

I think he touched healthcare at some point, which is political -- but the feeling that people should be taken care of -- in my opinion isn't political especially when people have seen the benefits of healthcare in their personal lives.

Pretty much.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Who cares what his political views are? I barely cared what his thought were on the Jackets; I certainly couldn't give a crap less what he thought about health care or the middle east. I thought it was Arace that I asked "what does this have to do with sports?", maybe it was AP.

If you aren't a political journalist and/or opinion guy/gal don't use your work account for political opinions. I'm there looking for an opinion on sports; specifically the Jackets.

None of that stuff bothered me, however. Everyone is weighing on this stuff now.

As I said I wish AP well in whatever he does. I wouldn't really be looking for whatever that is however. I'm pretty sure he was the smart ass that feigned surprise that the HFBoards still existed recently. It was one of those guys at the Dispatch; it was a garbage post.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
If you aren't a political journalist and/or opinion guy/gal don't use your work account for political opinions. I'm there looking for an opinion on sports; specifically the Jackets.

Clearly it's Portzline's account and not the Dispatch's because he is keeping it. If it were the Dispatch's, they would have a right to reprimand him however they see fit I suppose.

People work really really really hard to get to place where they have a platform and voice and whether they be athletes, journalists or actors they can use their platform for whatever the heck they want. Suggesting otherwise (a lot of people do this), I think it is silly. A lot of people want to consume the world the way they want to consume it -- imposing the way they think it should be on others -- "he shouldn't tweet about politics!" -- "he shouldn't tell jokes!". Says who and why?

It's there's they've earned the platform -- and frankly if they are secure enough with their lives, I'm sure they don't care what you think (Because I don't care what people think when I do this on my platforms). You have a right to tune out to it -- or unfollow. If he was concerned he was using the platform in a way that negatively affect his business -- he probably wouldn't do it. As I know there are lines I would be ill-advised to cross on my platforms.

A little ranty here and I apologize, but when people complain about this with athletes or whatever it irritates me.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Maybe it's because I went to school at Denison, but I feel comfortable saying that people who are from Granville (now rather than 20 years ago) tend to be liberal and outspoken. With this comes a few things - namely an appreciation for farmers markets and craft beer as well as some undying dream of one day writing for the New Yorker.

I for one didn't really mind the political commentary since his political tweets mainly consisted of re-tweets and jokes. It's easy to ignore re-tweets if you don't agree with them and as for the jokes I don't mind an attempt at humor now and again.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Porty has done a fine job and definitely deserves a hat tip.

I'm not always a fan, and I won't gush over him, but he did his job well and brought a lot of energy and dedication to spreading hockey news in Central Ohio.

:handclap:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Clearly it's Portzline's account and not the Dispatch's because he is keeping it. If it were the Dispatch's, they would have a right to reprimand him however they see fit I suppose.

You took that way too literal. That account is what he was using for work, not tweeting to his family and friends about a birthday.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I like Porty. The man ain't perfect, but then who is? Certainly not me and I'm damn good at my job. The value he has brought to Jackets reporting, in my mind, far exceeds the flaws and at the end of the day that's what I'm concerned about.

I wish him well at his next venture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad