Poor attendance

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
And more than ever this is not a best on best tournament at all and it's junior players. Why would you charge prices like this? Especially when the demand isn't there either...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The World Cup was a joke and that had NHL All-Stars everywhere. Toronto doesnt like hockey as much as we all thought.

The game was sold out, wtf. As for the World Cup Bettman even said the only place it would work at this time was Toronto.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
I saw non Canada games on StubHub yesterday for $6...the prices on ticketmaster started at $29 plus service charges..

Prices for Canada games are ridiculous...

I'm interested in going to some games in Vancouver/Vancouver but I'm not gonna spend $100 for a ticket unless it's a semi final or gold medal game..

I think Victoria sits around 7,000 but who from the mainland is gonna take a expensive ferry to Victoria to see non Canada games?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I saw non Canada games on StubHub yesterday for $6...the prices on ticketmaster started at $29 plus service charges..

I'm interested in going to some games in Vancouver/Vancouver but I'm not gonna spend $100 for a ticket unless it's a semi final or gold medal game..

I think Victoria sits around 7,000 but who from the mainland is gonna take a expensive ferry to Victoria to see non Canada games?

$30 is dirt cheap.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

If the tickets are reasonable Victoria will have no problem filling their arena. A lot of people on the island would make the trip. I'm hoping to catch a Sweden vs Finland game if the tickets are not ridiculous. If the Canucks have a couple prospects on the teams it would help a lot.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
As so many others in this topic, I agree that Montreal doesn't seem like a good fit from hockey point of view. It's a great city for visiting fans though so that has to be taken into consideration. Nevertheless, I feel that Toronto + Montreal is a combination that doesn't fit the spirit of the tournament. Those cities combined with some extreme prices just highlights the commercial aspect that I really don't like when it comes to WJC.

If I had the power, I'd probably spread the experience throughout all of Canada and reserve Toronto/Montreal for other events.

Alternate between those options. Here are some possibilities:

Calgary/Edmonton - doesn't really matter where Canada plays. Should have good overall hockey atmosphere for the tournament, especially in Edmonton.

Saskatoon/Regina - not sure how the arenas are in either town so won't comment but I like the feeling of smaller prairie towns for this tournament. I love Saskatchewan hockey and their folks.

Winnipeg/Brandon - Canada + playoffs in Winnipeg, non-Canada group + relegation in Brandon. Brandon would be quite the experience for foreign fans though... :laugh: I'd love it though.

Vancouver/XXX - no idea about this one since I've never been to BC.

Obviously some of these options would not be in the interest of HC and IIHF from a financial point of view - especially the Saskatchewan and Manitoba options. How big of a dip would we seen in the amount of foreign fans? Would the visiting fans enjoy these towns, spend money and spread the good word for the next time? However, I feel that the image boost for HC would be great if they acknowledged the heart lands of hockey a bit better.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
As so many others in this topic, I agree that Montreal doesn't seem like a good fit from hockey point of view. It's a great city for visiting fans though so that has to be taken into consideration. Nevertheless, I feel that Toronto + Montreal is a combination that doesn't fit the spirit of the tournament. Those cities combined with some extreme prices just highlights the commercial aspect that I really don't like when it comes to WJC.

If I had the power, I'd probably spread the experience throughout all of Canada and reserve Toronto/Montreal for other events.

Alternate between those options. Here are some possibilities:

Calgary/Edmonton - doesn't really matter where Canada plays. Should have good overall hockey atmosphere for the tournament, especially in Edmonton.

Saskatoon/Regina - not sure how the arenas are in either town so won't comment but I like the feeling of smaller prairie towns for this tournament. I love Saskatchewan hockey and their folks.

Winnipeg/Brandon - Canada + playoffs in Winnipeg, non-Canada group + relegation in Brandon. Brandon would be quite the experience for foreign fans though... :laugh: I'd love it though.

Vancouver/XXX - no idea about this one since I've never been to BC.

Obviously some of these options would not be in the interest of HC and IIHF from a financial point of view - especially the Saskatchewan and Manitoba options. How big of a dip would we seen in the amount of foreign fans? Would the visiting fans enjoy these towns, spend money and spread the good word for the next time? However, I feel that the image boost for HC would be great if they acknowledged the heart lands of hockey a bit better.

You have left out the following

Ottawa)Hosted both groups last time with solid attendance at all games no reason they would not do it again.

London/Windsor)Would have good crowds at all games.

Kingston/Belleville)Attendance would not be a issue.

Halifax/Quebec City)Hosted the worlds once and did a great job same would happen for the jrs.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
If the tickets are reasonable Victoria will have no problem filling their arena. A lot of people on the island would make the trip. I'm hoping to catch a Sweden vs Finland game if the tickets are not ridiculous. If the Canucks have a couple prospects on the teams it would help a lot.

Yeah...wasn't a slight against Victoria at all..great city and my son lives there!

if WHL prices are $25 or so, then that should be close to what the juniors should charge..if $40 and up then might be a challenge..

Wonder why Pacific Coliseum wasn't used along with Rogers...perhaps just spreading it around I guess

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
There's at most 1000 at the Bell Centre for this game. That's what they deserve with those prices.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
42,50$ are the cheapest tickets for games in Montreal. Add parking and or public transport, couple of drinks etc and it's complete nonsense.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
There's at most 1000 at the Bell Centre for this game. That's what they deserve with those prices.

If it was just the prices that would be one thing but Montreal and to a lesser Toronto don't seem to like non Nhl that much.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
To watch meaningless round robin games where 8/10 go through anyway and there's only 5 legit contenders! It's juniors and the best juniors are not even there, why charge idiotic prices when the demand isn't there and the players are not paid?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
There was 1600 tickets unsold for Canada-Russia last night as well which is quite something.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
To watch meaningless round robin games where 8/10 go through anyway and there's only 5 legit contenders! It's juniors and the best juniors are not even there, why charge idiotic prices when the demand isn't there and the players are not paid?

Maybe it should not have been in Montreal.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I agree. There's already no interest here for anything hockey except the Habs, even at 10$ I think they would have problems. At the current prices they are complete idiots.

Hockey isn't in good health here compare to many big Canadian cities. No junior team, nobody plays in outside rinks anymore etc...

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
You have left out the following

Ottawa)Hosted both groups last time with solid attendance at all games no reason they would not do it again.

London/Windsor)Would have good crowds at all games.

Kingston/Belleville)Attendance would not be a issue.

Halifax/Quebec City)Hosted the worlds once and did a great job same would happen for the jrs.
Yeah, those are good options for sure. I was having a serious case of tunnel vision and completely disregarded all of the east coast... :laugh: My bad.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If Canada actually had a history of success maybe they'd sell more, but they've been **** for the past 5 years.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I live in montreal & I wanted to go to some games, but the prices are ridiculous. 52.50$ for a seat in the Reds for Denmark vs Swizterland, who will pay that much to watch this game?. It should be max 15$ for a game like this.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I live in montreal & I wanted to go to some games, but the prices are ridiculous. 52.50$ for a seat in the Reds for Denmark vs Swizterland, who will pay that much to watch this game?. It should be max 15$ for a game like this.

You have to price it right yes but at the same time you can't be giving tickets away with $15 would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad