Poor attendance

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
The two games in Montreal had attendances of 4518 and 4703. My God.
Hockey mecca, etc

I wouldn't pay more than $5 to see any of the non-Canada games tbh

Although I did pay 30 something last year to watch Nylander and Sweden play Finland. The Leafs contribution to the WJC is pretty minimal this year.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
My personal view is the tournment should be in smaller cities like Halifax, Regina, Hamilton. It's always nice to see how those cities just come together to rally behind the tournment itself.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The two games in Montreal had attendances of 4518 and 4703. My God.

The Toronto market is much different than the Montreal one. The Toronto market essentially consists of the GPA and it's surrounding markets so as long as the prices aren't killer both non Canada games and Canada games will see. The Montreal market is much smaller and is more Hab centric, junior hockey isn't well received. Tickets have to be given away or sold at dirt prices.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Hockey mecca, etc

I wouldn't pay more than $5 to see any of the non-Canada games tbh

Although I did pay 30 something last year to watch Nylander and Sweden play Finland. The Leafs contribution to the WJC is pretty minimal this year.

Bring it to St.John's then ;)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Montreal should never get games again. But HC should have already known this.

Give it to the non-NHL markets where people will pay to see higher hockey than they are used to seeing.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
National holiday?

Yes.... And no.

Today was considering Dec 25th for some people (labour-wise)

And the 26th isn't a civic holiday. Some people get a free holiday, but not everyone.

A huge issue today was the weather though. Skates were probably the most efficient way to move around. My car still looks like an igloo and it's been raining for 3 hours.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Agreed. It was embarrassing when they couldn't even sell out the NYE game against the US. Habs fans actually justified it by saying the wouldn't pay NHL prices to watch a WJC game.

Give it to the non-NHL markets where people will pay to see higher hockey than they are used to seeing.

Hockey Canada has become greedy with this tournament.

P.S - Same with US hockey hosting the tournament in Buffalo again for obvious reasons.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ticket: $25
Delivery charge: $7.50
Service charge: $10

What?

Agreed. It was embarrassing when they couldn't even sell out the NYE game against the US. Habs fans actually justified it by saying the wouldn't pay NHL prices to watch a WJC game.

I'm totally on board with their reasoning.

Sure NHL tickets cost a lot because you have to pay millions in salaries. Juniors are amateurs...

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Ticket prices seem absurd and I was able to slide down my street on a crazy carpet today so im PRETTY sure alot of people were stuck at home. Also had a few friends stuck in their houses because the salt trucks couldn't make it due to ice, heh.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Hockey Canada has become greedy with this tournament.

P.S - Same with US hockey hosting the tournament in Buffalo again for obvious reasons.

I understand your disappointment in the game not selling out but the reasoning of the prices being high is quite justifiable. These are junior players not some of the world's best players and as such the price should reflect that. The belief that Canada-USA NYE games should be sold out no matter what plays in to Hockey Canada's ability and reasoning to charge such an outrageous price.

It was my hope that the Montreal ticket sales in 2015 opened a few eyes in Hockey Canada. Some markets just won't say yes to any ticket price because it's Team Canada.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Prices should not be more then $10. This is the World Juniors. Finland priced it perfectly.

But even if prices were low, Montreal is not a Hockey town whatsoever like other Canadian cities, so the atmosphere is so boring just like the boredom of a Canadiens game. MAKE SOME NOISE, like seriously, shut up. The Bell Centre is a horrible place to watch a Hockey game.

It has to be held away from the big Canadian cities for real atmosphere.

But I look on the bright spot, I change seats every period to have different vantage points, which is interesting lol.

But yah, this tournament is just a cute little christmas time event, nothing more, the real fun is the World Championships, which this will never emulate.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think its just stupid and short sighted to overprice the tickets. A filled arena makes for better atmosphere and a better experience. Maybe a good experience will make people go back to the arenas next time, you know, maybe the general interest for live hockey, the WJC in partcular, would increase in the long run.

That said, maybe the attendance would be low at some games no matter the price.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think its just stupid and short sighted to overprice the tickets. A filled arena makes for better atmosphere and a better experience. Maybe a good experience will make people go back to the arenas next time, you know, maybe the general interest for live hockey, the WJC in partcular, would increase in the long run.

That said, maybe the attendance would be low at some games no matter the price.

Teams in any sport never seem to get this. Lower the ticket prices and get more people, so it will be more enjoyable event. Nobody wants to watch sports live when it's boring and quiet.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Teams in any sport never seem to get this. Lower the ticket prices and get more people, so it will be more enjoyable event. Nobody wants to watch sports live when it's boring and quiet.

Exactly. There is several negative aspects of overpricing an event like this. I think its not very clever to set high prices on a product that isnt really that popular, like a NA placed game of two European sides.

That kind of game could still be a bit interesting for the Candians that follow the championship. With the disclaimer that I really dont know if there are package deals already, but they could for example have deals were if someone buys a Canada game they get 50-70% off on games involving only European sides.

More butts on the seats = more sales of food and drinks, and souvenirs etc. Lower the ticket price and get steep prices on the soft drinks instead.

If the Swedish games, for instance, would be cheaper more people from Sweden (or from whatever foreign pariticpant) would have had affort to buy a holliday package to Montreal, giving an increase in tourist industry profits.

AND the kids on they ice get a greater experience with a filed arena. Not fair to them to have to play for empty seats.

Last edited:

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Ticket prices do seem quite high and the weather today is rain and a high in the 50's but turning colder today as there is a bigger snowstorm thursday through friday that could bring 6 ++ inches....YUCK!!!! When I buy tickets during the winter months I try and buy early or late in the season due to storms as it is a hour and a half to Boston and 3 1/2 hours to Montreal.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
I checked out ticket availability fo the Canada vs Latvia gae and the ticket price range was $80-$230 which is absurd. Happy to watch on TV. When they were held in Halifax took my two sons and the price for the 3 of us was less than the cheapest ticket to this. Sadly,it has become a money grab event in Canada.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Prices should not be more then $10. This is the World Juniors. Finland priced it perfectly.

But even if prices were low, Montreal is not a Hockey town whatsoever like other Canadian cities, so the atmosphere is so boring just like the boredom of a Canadiens game. MAKE SOME NOISE, like seriously, shut up. The Bell Centre is a horrible place to watch a Hockey game.

It has to be held away from the big Canadian cities for real atmosphere.

But I look on the bright spot, I change seats every period to have different vantage points, which is interesting lol.

But yah, this tournament is just a cute little christmas time event, nothing more, the real fun is the World Championships, which this will never emulate.

The issue with charging $10 is it would not cover the cost of the events which is not cheap to run but the big thing is scalpers would have a field day.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

The issue with that is most non nhl markets don't have the venues/hotels etc to handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad