Poor attendance

kulenova seka

Does anybody care about World Juniors in Montreal and Toronto? The view on the empty grandstands is deplorable.

Where is the mistake?

In other thread I wrote it that WJC is overrated tournament, hyped, for to me unknown reason, by canadian media...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Exactly. There is several negative aspects of overpricing an event like this. I think its not very clever to set high prices on a product that isnt really that popular, like a NA placed game of two European sides.

That kind of game could still be a bit interesting for the Candians that follow the championship. With the disclaimer that I really dont know if there are package deals already, but they could for example have deals were if someone buys a Canada game they get 50-70% off on games involving only European sides.

More butts on the seats = more sales of food and drinks, and souvenirs etc. Lower the ticket price and get steep prices on the soft drinks instead.

If the Swedish games, for instance, would be cheaper more people from Sweden (or from whatever foreign pariticpant) would have had affort to buy a holliday package to Montreal, giving an increase in tourist industry profits.

AND the kids on they ice get a greater experience with a filed arena. Not fair to them to have to play for empty seats.

If you only charge $10 the money will have to be made up some how likely that means huge increases in cost of food and drinks.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
This was the same last time it was in canada...why not hold it in toronto and calgary? Or vancouver or something...just take it away from montreal.

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
maybe the reason is that too many world class players of their generations are missing because NHL-teams don`t let their pets to come out to play hockey for TWO WEEKS for their country:/. for example Finland: Laine/Aho/Puljujarvi ,canada Mcdavid/Marner/Crouse/konechky/Chychrun, Usa: Matthews/Hanifin/Werenski/Tkachuck, russia ivan provorov and pavel zacha from czech!!. That makes that 14 best players of their age glass are missing

Lets say if patrick laine is going to play for Jets about 20 years!. IMHO it would not be too much for asking to him play for his country about two weeks. IIHF is too much letting NHL controlling?.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
This was the same last time it was in canada...why not hold it in toronto and calgary? Or vancouver or something...just take it away from montreal.

There is zero way you could have two groups that far apart look at it this way a team plays in Toronto dec 31st then js to fly to Calgary or Vancouver which is a 4-5 hour flight get use to the western time zone in 2 days it just would not work.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Those cities like their club teams more than they like hockey, which is perfectly understandable. Had it been the leafs playing on a Monday afternoon on boxing day in the pouring rain, sellout.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ticket prices do seem quite high and the weather today is rain and a high in the 50's but turning colder today as there is a bigger snowstorm thursday through friday that could bring 6 ++ inches....YUCK!!!! When I buy tickets during the winter months I try and buy early or late in the season due to storms as it is a hour and a half to Boston and 3 1/2 hours to Montreal.

I'd take 6 inches of snow over the absolute ********* of yesterday. Every. Single. Time.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am rooting for Canada but do not have same enthusiasm as other years. Why? No one from my nhl team's roster/prospects is on it; no high draft prospects are on it;the team has no players with the pizzazz it usually has. Just a confluence of events that all this is being played out in my home country....

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
I checked out ticket availability fo the Canada vs Latvia gae and the ticket price range was $80-$230 which is absurd. Happy to watch on TV. When they were held in Halifax took my two sons and the price for the 3 of us was less than the cheapest ticket to this. Sadly,it has become a money grab event in Canada.

When they held the WJC here in Ottawa in 2009, the ticket prices for the Canada-Germany game at the CTC (then known Scotiabank Place) ranged between $50-$100, while the non Canada games at the Civic Centre were $15-$20. Why would they price the Canada-Latvia game for that much at the ACC???

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
When they held the WJC here in Ottawa in 2009, the ticket prices for the Canada-Germany game at the CTC (then known Scotiabank Place) ranged between $50-$100, while the non Canada games at the Civic Centre were $15-$20. Why would they price the Canada-Latvia game for that much at the ACC???

Ottawa did host both groups so there was not as much pressure on making as much out of just one group in Toronto.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Montreal obviously isn't a hockeytown, they just care about the Canadiens. I was at the Czech Republic - Finland game yesterday and most people were geared up in Canada and Canadiens clothes, besides a few Czech fans...

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Montreal obviously isn't a hockeytown, they just care about the Canadiens. I was at the Czech Republic - Finland game yesterday and most people were geared up in Canada and Canadiens clothes, besides a few Czech fans...

And a couple of Finns! I was seated beside one lol

Your first time attending a world jrs in Canada?

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
Friends went yesterday.........$10 warm beer.x12=$120....not to mention it took 3 1/2 hr.drive in ice(normaly 1 hr.) $500 for 4 tickets bought in advance plus food $300 and lost day of pay for work=about $1600.......they enjoyed the experience but now it`s "Been there....done it"......never again.........

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Based on a few other posts in this thread previous junior tournaments were priced significantly cheaper. Organizers have clearly priced this thing beyond what most people in Toronto and Montreal are willing to pay. Perhaps attendance would be better in other markets, but at the current prices I have my doubts.

Another factor, and I could be wrong on this, is I believe every single game being broadcast is a fairly recent development. Perhaps spending the day on the coach watching 4 games/10 hours of hockey is more appealing than making your way down to the rink and missing most of the other action.

The World Cup was a joke and that had NHL All-Stars everywhere. Toronto doesnt like hockey as much as we all thought.

Based on the TV viewership numbers it would appear Toronto wasn't exactly alone when it came to being indifferent towards the World Cup.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Based on a few other posts in this thread previous junior tournaments were priced significantly cheaper. Organizers have clearly priced this thing beyond what most people in Toronto and Montreal are willing to pay. Perhaps attendance would be better in other markets, but at the current prices I have my doubts.

Another factor, and I could be wrong on this, is I believe every single game being broadcast is a fairly recent development. Perhaps spending the day on the coach watching 4 games/10 hours of hockey is more appealing than making your way down to the rink and missing most of the other action.

Based on the TV viewership numbers it would appear Toronto wasn't exactly alone when it came to being indifferent towards the World Cup.

Even if the ticket were free attendance still would not be great.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada

All valid points......and yes all games are televised ..........i sat on my fat arse yesterday and watched most of all the games while watching ice engulf my castle.......

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
My personal view is the tournment should be in smaller cities like Halifax, Regina, Hamilton. It's always nice to see how those cities just come together to rally behind the tournment itself.

As someone from the Maritimes, that would be great. Halifax-Moncton or Halifax-Saint John would work well.

If a bigger venue is needed, Quebec City-Halifax would be a good one too. These were the two hosts for the 2008 World Championships.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Montreal should never get games again. But HC should have already known this.

Give it to the non-NHL markets where people will pay to see higher hockey than they are used to seeing.

I think it's painfully obvious at this point that Montreal is not a hockey town, but just a Habs town.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The two main reasons for Montreal : Ridiculous ticket prices and Montreal not being a hockey city but a one team city. Nobody plays hockey in the streets or on outdoor rinks anymore here. Junior hockey has never succeeded and the prices are beyond stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad