[Poll] Will Carlyle be fired ? - Register your prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

If I am Shanahan I do the following if I don't want to blow it up:

1. Phone Ron Wilson. Ask his opinion on the players he coached with the leafs
2. Call Carlyle. Ask his opinion on the players he coached with the leafs
3. Assess the players with footage of games this season

If there is a [check] with all the three points above for a certain player(s) they have to be shipped out. Period!

If carlyle is fired it will be the a third coach coming with the same bunch of losers.

What I want? BLOW IT UP!!!

3 years in a row its been nothing but "Choke-Fest" and if it wasn't for Bernier this season we would have been out of playoffs a long time ago

New coach, New management, New players

Start from scratch.

Players that shouldn't be on this roster: Phaneuf, Lupul, Clarkson, Franson, Bozak, Kessel (may be), Gleason, Raymond

Last edited by a moderator:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
If we lose tonight we will have lost 12 out of our last 14, correct?

Even if you're Babcock and have a long leash of past accomplishments, you get fired for losing 12 out of your last 14.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
For me is make as hard of a Push as I can to get this Ekblad, Could eventually be our much desired #1, possibly captain material and simultaneously get rid of Phaneuf.

Enough is enough, hes proven to be an average D with soem good stretches over the years and def not a leader. Leafs will ahve to keep soem of the salary but priority is to get him and clarkson doing their thing somewhere else. I cant stan watchign these two wearing the blue and white jersey anymore!!!

Leafs do this and they have me back!!!

And we better lose tonight on purpose, thinking of the Draft!!! Stop being idiots already

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If I am Shanahan I do the following if I don't want to blow it up:

1. Phone Ron Wilson. Ask his opinion on the players he coached with the leafs
2. Call Carlyle. Ask his opinion on the players he coached with the leafs
3. Assess the players with footage of games this season

If carlyle is fired it will be the a third coach coming with the same bunch of losers.

What I want? BLOW IT UP!!!

Was wondering when you were going to tell us. .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If the players didn't do what was asked, I feel they should be moved. If they did what was asked, it's see ya Carlyle. Only those with the inside scoop know for sure.

leafstilldeath*

For me is make as hard of a Push as I can to get this Ekblad, Could eventually be our much desired #1, possibly captain material and simultaneously get rid of Phaneuf.

Enough is enough, hes proven to be an average D with soem good stretches over the years and def not a leader. Leafs will ahve to keep soem of the salary but priority is to get him and clarkson doing their thing somewhere else. I cant stan watchign these two wearing the blue and white jersey anymore!!!

And we better lose tonight on purpose, thinking of the Draft!!! Stop being idiots already

Agree with this.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

They have you regardless of what happens - who are you trying to kid?

All that passion and emotion that summons you here to discuss this team with so much energy - you realistically expect anyone to believe you'll just shut that off if they don't land one of the top 2 picks in this draft?

Save it

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They have you regardless of what happens - who are you trying to kid?

All that passion and emotion that summons you here to discuss this team with so much energy - you realistically expect anyone to believe you'll just shut that off if they don't land one of the top 2 picks in this draft?

Save it
I dont care about draft pick, that woudl be great but as long as Phaneuf and Clarkson are on the line-up I amd def off the band wagon. I use to watch every game....Ive hardly seen any game in the last 2 months...and the few Ive watched I honestly didnt care on the result so quite the change from what I use to be!!!

But believe what you want...10 years of crap is enough for me but great job by MLSE of taking attention away from the garbage on the ice by announcing Shannahan lol

I post due to my frustrion of the last 10 years!!! Being Neutral is kinda nice actually

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Disagreeing with his player personnel choices is not a good point to bring up. Sure these players may not have performed up to expectations, we must keep in mind that this coach is around the players throughout the year... not just practices and games. He knows what's what because he has won a cup and I'd bet he has a clue about what's going on behind the scenes.

Could he be playing Dion more because he does all the right things off the ice?
Could Kadri be playing less not only because of his underwhelming on ice play or is it because of how he conducts himself off of it?

The leafs are trying to create and maintain a winning culture and image. This way, players that want to win are attracted to the team and are more willing to take a discount to come play for the city. If the new president were to come and can a Stanley Cup winning coach, what message will it send to free agents and the team?

Everyone has to be held accountable and in this situation, I wouldn't put too much blame on Carlyle. He has been saying since the start of the season that this team and it's players need to be better defensively. He has had to implement a collapsing style of play because he found out that our wingers were either willing or unable to consistently transition the puck out of the zone through the zone. He must have made a judgement call that playing in this manner would give the team a better chance at winning.

If it were up to me, I'd get a different set of players... or at the very least a new set of wingers and defensemen. Unless we want to keep this group, then a coach like Lindy Ruff or John Stevens would be someone I'd target. Ruff was successful with a high-powered offensive group in Buffalo after the lockout; Stevens has been successful in both roles as assistant and head coach and may want to get out of LA since he was given the head coaching job for only 4 games and probably doesn't have a chance of reclaiming it until Suter goes away.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
The new NHL where defence-first teams win the Cup almost every single year?

Because that's exactly how Carlyle coaches in case you didn't realize.

Defence first teams are not the ones that are winning, puck possession teams are winning. LA's coach, Sutter, said it himself.

Carlyle doesn't coach like defence first either. Bottom 5 in pk, allows more goals than Buffalo, etc while receiving top 10 goaltending. Horrendous.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
2hey2xs.jpg

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
any chance carlyle gets fired tomorrow or do we have to wait for a few more weeks?

I think it depends on what coaches become available by then, and how big of a splash MLSE wants to make. Like if DeBoer or Trotz is layed off tomorrow, Leafs will probably fire Carlyle ASAP, and if their not they'll probably see their options because having all hell break loose

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I figure, Shanahan gets announced on Monday. Meetings Tuesday, next presser could be Wednesday at the earliest. But who knows.

no, exit interviews are Monday (because that's when locker cleanup is).
Mark Masters and Jonas Siegal were both saying how Monday was going to be a very busy day and neither of them knew what their playoff assignments were.

Feb 24, 2004
Disagreeing with his player personnel choices is not a good point to bring up. Sure these players may not have performed up to expectations, we must keep in mind that this coach is around the players throughout the year... not just practices and games. He knows what's what because he has won a cup and I'd bet he has a clue about what's going on behind the scenes.

Given the fact that he played Kostka and Holzer for significant minutes, completely misused Grabovski, pushed MacArthur out the door, played Orr and Mclaren way too much, pushed for a style that included the targeting of David Clarkson, completely misused both Gardiner and a toaster, and - oh ya - was responsible for one of the worst shots against totals for a team in the modern era , something tells me he doesn't exactly know as much as you hope.

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
Carlyle is going to be fired because the team won't play for him anymore. I'd rather keep Carlyle next season and try to turn over the roster instead, but it's easier to just fire Randy.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I voted yes, however, there is still a chance he may be retained if the players are identified as the main cause of our problems!

It's the same core of players who quit, or collapsed, under 2 different coaches! Maybe, it's the core of players that needs changing!

Last edited:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
personally I think any coach would have problems with this team.

no heart, no drive and no passion or pride.

while a coach can be a bit of a mentor, and assist players in finding their way; most of the leafs are well into their careers even though the leafs have a "young by statistical averages" team.

I'm not sure what more we want when the core of the team is made up of players that other teams - did not want anymore.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Should he be fired? No.

Will he be fired? Possibly.

I personally think Randy Carlyle is the least of this teams worries. This team has no heart, passion and I get the sense there's problems in the dressing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad