[Poll] Will Carlyle be fired ? - Register your prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
"The leafs are not 1 coach away from fixing this problem"

-Scott Morrison, Hockey Central
Well what is the one move away from fixing the problem? If there isn't one move that can be made then we either do absolutely nothing or we fire the coach because that is one step towards fixing the problem.

Juggernaut of Joy

Dec 19, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I don't understand how by firing Carlyle it's giving into the players. This is what Randy did (or did not) do whilst as coach this year.

From the hop - the Leafs weren't playing well. Like they looked decent enough in training camp but October 1st 2013 - the team did not look right. His comments: well I keep telling them they have to play more defensively, we're going to lose games soon like this.

In November-December i think there were like 9 wins in total and 4 of them were in regulation. you can put a chunk of that due to the fact we lost 3 centres in a 3 game span, but it wasn't changing the fact that we were brutally being out played. Randy's response - bench Gardiner/Rielly instead of nailing Franson's giveaway butt in the press box.

January - lost 4 games in a row in horrendous fashion (blow-out, gong show, blow out, and barely won but played slightly better). Instead of now taking the time to fix whatever system he had in place, Randy is now deploying what is lovingly called "Scrabble Face" looked heavenward, mystified and "oh God, why me?" the past several months now he keeps going "we stopped skating." "we lack compete level"

Then we win 11 out of 14 games. And then we hit the Olympic break. And then we come back and we look even worse. Every other team had their "oh yah, it's the Break, but we're over it now" the Leafs just played crap poor hockey. Randy's big move - go to 11 forwards, 7 D to get Ranger in (which is a good thing), but this means he's riding Kessel and JVR more, despite the fact that they were hitting career minutes before the Olympics, went to the Olympics put on a clinic and came back. NOTHING else changed - no systems, no line up juggling, other than trying to find someone to play with David Clarkson (to which at this point, knowing how brutal he was, you were better served just healthy scratching him)

Then we go to California, win 2 out of 3. Carlyle - knowing that Bernier wasn't 100 percent (and even the player saying yah i';m goood) - decides to play Bernier in LA instead of Reimer and Bernier is hurt.

Then we proceed to enter the Collapse of 2014, where the Leafs could not even pick up a win in regulation. And whilst everyone was playing like hot garbage - did Randy even consider then to change something, line combinations, bench someone, start MacIntyre anything? Nope. not a thing, he kept tossing the same lineup over and over again. Even when there were games where a guy (phaneuf) was utter, hot garbage - when pressing for a late goal, do you put out the guy who was having the beast of a game (Gardiner--St Louis, Rielly--Detroit?) no. You toss Phaneuf over the boards.

Game seventy nine was when Randy decided to blow up the defensive parings. the practice before game eighty he's having break down practices and what needs to happen

Forget the stupid "Okay" comments, he then goes - "well I don't know why Carter Ashton doesn't have more confidence when he plays up here, so we're going to play him with Kadri." YOU"RE THE ONE WHO PLAYS HIM LESS THAN 5 MINUTES! How much confidence is he going to have when he doesn't get to play?!

He barely played a competent 4th line (say what you will about the leafs being cap-strapped, you could have, should have sent Orr/McLaren down to the minors the moment you realised (that would be October) that the League wasn't going to play "hey, let's try to beat up the Leafs!" this season, bring up WHOMEVER and create a fast skating, offensive-minded energy fourth line.

After a month, even when we had a winning record, instead of taking that entire week to develop a new plan that the players could actually execute, he didn't, and kept pressing the same system over and over again, to the point that every practice you actually have to break down and go after key points.

He had no idea how to read the flow of the game.
he didn't hold the right players accountable nearly enough.
he made changes way too late and they only last one game

That's all on Randy. I've taught and if I keep teaching in one specific way and my students kept failing - at some point the principal is going to come to me and go - well if I knew they were struggling and failing why didn't I do anything/something to change my lesson plan? You can blame the students for not doing their part (and I'm not holding the players blameless here, and I do expect a good part of them to be traded, and/or not signed to play here), but Randy's not this innocent, delicate flower whose being sacrificed on the alter of Scrapegoat either. Dude epically failed to do his job.

When your star goalie comes in and says several times that the defensive system isn't good and in LA and other cities most deploy a different (and winnable) system, and you don't even attempt to make a change? yah. Problem. He (Nonis, Loiselle (who is an idiot. even I could probably run the cap better than he and I have dyscalulia), and Poulin) excused most of this problem by saying well we look at scoring chances, not shots, or from the outside etc.

Randy should be booted, and truthfully so should that entire management corps.

You are like a breath of fresh air :)

Even when you are critical, you are positive :yo:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well what is the one move away from fixing the problem? If there isn't one move that can be made then we either do absolutely nothing or we fire the coach because that is one step towards fixing the problem.

NHL expansion

MLSE sells off the Leafs to have them relocated to a different market and apply for an expansion team with the premise they have 1st pick int the 2015 entry draft.

Then Carlyle can either go with the team or stay to coach the next one.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
WEB-Randy_Carlyle_1___Content.jpg

Who thinks Carlyle will be fired ? Register your prediction.

Feel free to say why or why not.

The benchmark is .... will Carlyle be the coach on the opening day of 2014-2015.

It seems like "a lot" of people assume he's going to be fired.

If you don't think he will be fired ... put your prediction genius in this thread.

i think he has until december.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
one season playoffs
another miss
fired? LOL

way too soon, Carl will get another year to prove himself under new leadership
most of the YES are just people who are butt hurt about no post season

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Yes he will be fired, along with all of the assistant coaches. This won't solve all of our problems, but it will be a step in the right direction.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'd love Carlyle to stick around with this team but I think management and players will make him the scapegoat this time around, just like Wilson.

No matter though, the players still suck and management still has no clue what they are doing.

Real change is on its way soon.

And once this change happens, this team can only hope to have as good a coach as Randy Carlyle.

Ya right bud, I don't think anyone is letting the players off the hook here but Randy is far from a good coach. He's a dying breed of stubborn old coaches who refuse to adjust to the new NHL.

KingBuzzo

A custom title.
Nov 3, 2010
Toronto
I really did like the side I saw of him in the 24/7 special, seemed like a good guy who likes Sabbath. But I mean, especially now with Shanny coming to town, I just think a new fresh start would benefit the team coaching wise. This stretch of losses has just been something you can't overlook, and the Leafs have barely played a full 60 minute hockey game all year around. I think he's done here, but I do think he'll get snatched up in the offseason by another team.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Ya right bud, I don't think anyone is letting the players off the hook here but Randy is far from a good coach. He's a dying breed of stubborn old coaches who refuse to adjust to the new NHL.

The new NHL where defence-first teams win the Cup almost every single year?

Because that's exactly how Carlyle coaches in case you didn't realize.

TML FTW*

"The leafs are not 1 coach away from fixing this problem"

-Scott Morrison, Hockey Central

That doesn't mean that keeping Carlyle as a coach is fixing any problem either.

Just because the players are responsible for the collapse doesn't mean Carlyle isn't also responsible.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
95% chance he is fired.

If Nashville fires Trotz soon, then Carlyle is gone and Trotz is in. Guaranteed.

TheThrill81*

Prediction: Carlyle is fired 3 games into next season, and replaced by Laviolette. :D

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
95% chance he is fired.

If Nashville fires Trotz soon, then Carlyle is gone and Trotz is in. Guaranteed.

His contract is up at the end of the season. It's not a matter of being "fired" its a matter of being rehired which the Predators would be absolute FOOLS not to do. He makes great use of what he has-a bunch of 2nd liners and an incredible defence. The Preds would be stupid to not resign Trotz, he's awesome.

Oct 19, 2007
I think that management has to fire Carlyle after the collapse this year. Do I think it is Carlyle's fault. No I do not. The Leafs have shown year after year that they do not have the kind of player that is needed to win in this league. They forever shy away from the boards when they should be taking a check to make a play. The players are not tough enough. If we think back to the St. Louis team at the end of the season, it should not be a problem for anybody to see what kind of player that is needed to compete. The first period in that game I saw the type of player I want on my team. The problem is, the players were on the Blues team and not ours.

I believe that it took Brian Burke three years to completely clean house of the players he inherited. Correct me if I am wrong in thinking that Kuliman is the only player that was left from the JFJ/Fletcher teams. What Burke and Nonis brought in as players are not players that you can win with. IMO Bernier, Rielly, Kessell and JVR are the only players on the current roster that should be on the team starting 3 seasons from now.It is unlikely that Nonis can get rid of all the remaining but until he does, we will not have a winning team.

TheThrill81*

I believe that it took Brian Burke three years to completely clean house of the players he inherited. Correct me if I am wrong in thinking that Kuliman is the only player that was left from the JFJ/Fletcher teams. What Burke and Nonis brought in as players are not players that you can win with. IMO Phaneuf, Bernier, Rielly, Kessell and JVR are the only players on the current roster that should be on the team starting 3 seasons from now. It is unlikely that Nonis can get rid of all the remaining but until he does, we will not have a winning team.

Much better.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
How could he not be fired? Game 7 collapse was just the beggining.. The 8 game losing streak during the most pivotal time of the season was the dagger to the heart.

He has clearly lost the players: the players individually look like trash and the systems and special teams look just as bad. A lot of his decisions throughout his short tenure here have been headscratchingly stupid (Mike Kostka playing first pairing minutes with Dion Phaneuf, 2 enforcers in line-up even when no one wanted to fight them, forcing David Clarkson onto the Joffrey Lupul-Nazem Kadri line even when they had absolutely no chemistry + Nikolai Kulemin was just starting to spark them..etc..etc) and he has shown the inability to reshape his style of coaching based on the players in front of him -- he is very much a coach who has repeatedly tried to stick a square peg in a round hole.

mikebel111*

I believe he is gone.
I think the guy is good coach but not for this team. Plus his decisions at times are strange to say the least.
One thing i love are his reactions to goals from the other team. Camara goes to him and his mouth seems like a third or quarter open:laugh:
Its like he says "how can that happen"?

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I liek Carlyle but hes probably gone. We have to give him a better group to work with. Last season we did well and you saw the team actually playign a system, consistantly and the results showed. This year was back to Ron Wilson time.
To finally get rid of Brian Burke stentch get rid of BB's #2 Nonis and lets get real.

Team I woudl like to see next season since there are rumors that certain players may be available:

Evander Kane-Eric Staal-Phil Kessel
JVR-Bozak-Lupol
komarov-Holland-Raymond
Bodie-McClement-ashton

keep: Leivo, D'amingo trade:bolland, kulemin, kadri, Clarkson (keep % of contract)

Gardiner-Ekblad, Rielly-Gunner, Gleason, Franson in order
draft McKeowen also as a future #3/4 RHD
Keep: prospects, Trade: Phaneuf (keep % of contract), Gunner when McKeowen is ready, Ranger,

Bernier is our guy, trade Reimer and let him start somewhere!!!

Rusty545

Jun 1, 2010
I think he's gone on Monday.

I think the reason why made the Shanahan decision public knowledge and official on Friday, but aren't revealing him until Monday, has something to do with Carlyle's last game in charge being somewhere in the middle.

I Wouldn't be surprised if there was mass firings tomorrow (coach, assistant coaches, assistant managers, etc) with the Monday presser being the "big reveal of a bright future" kind of deal. Probably won't happen but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm quite surprised that there's this much discussion on the topic.

For anyone still not convinced that Randy's going to get fired, go listen to his post-game media scrum from the Florida game. He's convinced he's gone. You should all be too.

100% yes on that poll.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I said yes, but it won't be soon. If the Leafs are still ass by December he'll be canned then, because Leafs.

You are mad if you think he makes it into next year as coach of this team.

He's gone before the draft - like I said, he knows it; go listen to his post-game after Florida.

A coach that knows he's got time, doesn't question his player's compassion levels and say much of the things he's said the past 5 days.

He's kept a pretty consistent tone and message since he got here, and that has changed drastically since the defeat against Winnipeg - he doesn't expect to be here much longer as evidenced by what he's said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad