POLL - Will Bowman and Q Be Back with the Hawks Next Year?

Will Stan Bowman and or Coach Q be Back with the Hawks Next Year as GM and HC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Changed my vote to both come back. I think we are kidding ourselves that they remove Q this year. Just a feeling I get.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Changed my vote to both come back. I think we are kidding ourselves that they remove Q this year. Just a feeling I get.

So did I. Getting to the point where I'm not looking forward to next season, regardless of where, and who, we draft, if Q is still behind the bench.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I get the feeling it'll be both or neither.

I prefer to get Bowman back to give him a Coach of his choice and if nothing improves it's him too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
to show my fairness with regards to being able to call out our GM, I think this has always been and will always be my biggest issues with Bowman.

#1. He mismanaged his asset in Nick Leddy and signed Bickell instead. Bowman originally fleeced the Wild to even get Leddy which is still one of the best trades of the past decade...for me, Bowman obviously thought Bickell would be more important to the core moving forward than Leddy which was wrong at the time and still today. To defend Bowman a bit on that, we had Keith, Seabs, and Hammer all in their primes, so a guy like Leddy seemed a pure luxury as a #4/5 at the pricetag he was going to command. But that again is the problem, you can NEVER have enough dmen in this league, and our situation now is a direct reflection of us letting Leddy go. When we let Leddy go, we really didn't have much coming up through the system either at the position which frustrated me even more to see the constant rotation of has beens we employed to play #5/6.

#2. Bryan Bickell again - now after signing Bickell to that contract, his play took a nosedive and we know the rest with his diagnosis of MS. This isn't a rip on Bickell post, but honestly, he IMO, is pretty much responsible for the shape we are in right now. We lost Leddy, a player right now who would be running our power play and playing top pair minutes for theoretically Bickell who we had to trade away to rid us of that contract...and that is where my next issue is - we had to throw a young gun player in TT to move this contract we should have never have given out. Losing Tevo was a hard pill to swallow for a lot of us, we knew he was talented and if given the full chance could be a 50-60 point player - which he seems to be now. Imagine having Leddy and TT on this team right now...does anyone think we would be in the shape we are right now?

those are my biggest issues with Bowman. The Seabrook contract was stupid, but I understood it. It hampers this team no doubt about it, but Seabs needed to be signed as we had nothing in the system left to replace him...I have no issue really with the cap hit, just the term. You can add that to the list, but for me the biggest issues that have hurt this team more than anything was signing Bickell and trading away Leddy, and then TT....

here is what our team could look like right now if we still had those guys.

Saad - Toews - Teravainen
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Hinostroza - Anisimov - Hartman
Hayden - Kampf - Wingels

Keith - Murphy
Leddy - Seabrook
Forsling - Rutta
Oesterle

Crow

question is would we be able to afford both Leddy and TT on this team?????

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Leddy instead of Oduya and I don't think we win the 15 cup. Leddy is better than Oduya now obviously but Stan went with the short term gains over the long term gains. Can't blame him there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Leddy instead of Oduya and I don't think we win the 15 cup. Leddy is better than Oduya now obviously but Stan went with the short term gains over the long term gains. Can't blame him there.

I have voiced my issues here over Oduya for years, I think he gets far too much credit because of Hammer covering his ass every night, but I agree Oduya needed to be here...but we still could have had Oduya and Leddy, no?? Bickell's contract ate up that money and not Oduya.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If hicks wasn't a price issue then, maybe they don't need to trade out the cap of Leddy to fit the Richards add, but that'd be if he made just 2mil or wasn't there.

Still after 15, Bickell would of had no impact on Leddy, they would of kept Saad in that case and still traded Leddy because of cap probably.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If hicks wasn't a price issue then, maybe they don't need to trade out the cap of Leddy to fit the Richards add, but that'd be if he made just 2mil or wasn't there.

Still after 15, Bickell would of had no impact on Leddy, they would of kept Saad in that case and still traded Leddy because of cap probably.

I would have to see what the team looked like after 14-15- I know we lost Oduya, Sharp, etc...

but we still had Bickell into the 15-16 season, so not sure how he wouldn't affect keeping Leddy??

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
to show my fairness with regards to being able to call out our GM, I think this has always been and will always be my biggest issues with Bowman.

#1. He mismanaged his asset in Nick Leddy and signed Bickell instead. Bowman originally fleeced the Wild to even get Leddy which is still one of the best trades of the past decade...for me, Bowman obviously thought Bickell would be more important to the core moving forward than Leddy which was wrong at the time and still today. To defend Bowman a bit on that, we had Keith, Seabs, and Hammer all in their primes, so a guy like Leddy seemed a pure luxury as a #4/5 at the pricetag he was going to command. But that again is the problem, you can NEVER have enough dmen in this league, and our situation now is a direct reflection of us letting Leddy go. When we let Leddy go, we really didn't have much coming up through the system either at the position which frustrated me even more to see the constant rotation of has beens we employed to play #5/6.

#2. Bryan Bickell again - now after signing Bickell to that contract, his play took a nosedive and we know the rest with his diagnosis of MS. This isn't a rip on Bickell post, but honestly, he IMO, is pretty much responsible for the shape we are in right now. We lost Leddy, a player right now who would be running our power play and playing top pair minutes for theoretically Bickell who we had to trade away to rid us of that contract...and that is where my next issue is - we had to throw a young gun player in TT to move this contract we should have never have given out. Losing Tevo was a hard pill to swallow for a lot of us, we knew he was talented and if given the full chance could be a 50-60 point player - which he seems to be now. Imagine having Leddy and TT on this team right now...does anyone think we would be in the shape we are right now?

those are my biggest issues with Bowman. The Seabrook contract was stupid, but I understood it. It hampers this team no doubt about it, but Seabs needed to be signed as we had nothing in the system left to replace him...I have no issue really with the cap hit, just the term. You can add that to the list, but for me the biggest issues that have hurt this team more than anything was signing Bickell and trading away Leddy, and then TT....

here is what our team could look like right now if we still had those guys.

Saad - Toews - Teravainen
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Hinostroza - Anisimov - Hartman
Hayden - Kampf - Wingels

Keith - Murphy
Leddy - Seabrook
Forsling - Rutta
Oesterle

Crow

question is would we be able to afford both Leddy and TT on this team?????

You honestly think Q would have Leddy out there on PP1 over the offensive juggernaut that is Duncan Keith?

Leddy doesn't miss the net by 25 feet enough for Q to trust him with running a power play.

DK is top 5 worst PP QB in the league. f***, he's probably the worst.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Should have kept Panarin.

Debrincat-Toews-Hinostroza
Hayden-Schmaltz-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Duclair
Jurco-Kampf-Wingels

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Me too, especially when I hear all of those positive thoughts from Stan. The way I feel now, I'll be canceling my Center Ice if Q does return next season.
I know he cant trash the coach but I was hoping he would say that "we also will be looking into different systems and structure for next year" that would at least give us some hope that they are entertaining a change

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
of course Q is coming back ... he's under contract

SB and McCub will want to make sure he gets one more shot with the "healthy core" + some new faces ... then if the team is 500 by Dec he gets booted upstairs or out the door

Reactions: LDF

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Both should go. Usually it's coach first though, as it's hard to bring in a GM and assign him a coach who he may or not like.

In this case, however, Q is a future HOF coach likely on his last contract and so the optics aren't great.

As such, both likely last the year although another season in the tank would change everything.

If it were my call, Stan would be gone and Q would be told to focus on player development even though that's not his greatest strength. If he didn't like it then he would be gone too. A lot of the player development network would be gone too.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Both should go. Usually it's coach first though, as it's hard to bring in a GM and assign him a coach who he may or not like.

In this case, however, Q is a future HOF coach likely on his last contract and so the optics aren't great.

As such, both likely last the year although another season in the tank would change everything.

If it were my call, Stan would be gone and Q would be told to focus on player development even though that's not his greatest strength. If he didn't like it then he would be gone too. A lot of the player development network would be gone too.
as i have stated many times, Q is not going to get fired. his salary end when ??

however there is a slight chance of moving upstairs.

ding, ding. let the hate begin.....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
of course Q is coming back ... he's under contract

SB and McCub will want to make sure he gets one more shot with the "healthy core" + some new faces ... then if the team is 500 by Dec he gets booted upstairs or out the door
oops i didn't see this post.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Bowman is the one who should take the fall. The guy can't evaluate talent so he just brings back all the former players for one more score. He has coasted off of Tallon's success for way too long now and now he's run the team into the ground. No more! Bowman must go, man.

I'm sure Q will take the fall for all this though.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
It's been a remarkable run but 10 years is about how long a coach or gm should stay in one spot. There is still a couple of cup runs left in this core, the Hawks simply need a new voice.

So yeah, I think Q should go. Not because he is a bad coach, but like I said, 10 years in one place in hockey is an eternity.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's been a remarkable run but 10 years is about how long a coach or gm should stay in one spot. There is still a couple of cup runs left in this core, the Hawks simply need a new voice.

So yeah, I think Q should go. Not because he is a bad coach, but like I said, 10 years in one place in hockey is an eternity.
i am with those who believes that this group of players can still make it interesting in any future seasons. but some crafty decisions needs to be made.

i wonder, i mean really wonder what is the game plan the FO has in mind.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Good Lord no, he's done enough damage. If anything has become apparent, Q is great at managing a stacked team and getting them over the hump but actually coaching and teaching is a weakness, especially with the modern game.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
i am with those who believes that this group of players can still make it interesting in any future seasons. but some crafty decisions needs to be made.

i wonder, i mean really wonder what is the game plan the FO has in mind.

Yeah, it’s going to be a fun summer. They could really go in any direction. I’ve been liking the look of the lineups @Teemu has posted. Just do absolutely nothing and let the prospects have all of the ice time.

Spending money and making big trades is always going to be an option, but with those types of moves, once you make them, you can’t go back, as we know all too well.

I’m not saying to pass on an obvious move if it comes up, but those are the only types of moves this team should make going forward. Make them come to us like we had to do for so many years. Then we can balance the cap better and keep a nice stockpile of assets for when the time is right.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, it’s going to be a fun summer. They could really go in any direction. I’ve been liking the look of the lineups @Teemu has posted. Just do absolutely nothing and let the prospects have all of the ice time.

Spending money and making big trades is always going to be an option, but with those types of moves, once you make them, you can’t go back, as we know all too well.

I’m not saying to pass on an obvious move if it comes up, but those are the only types of moves this team should make going forward. Make them come to us like we had to do for so many years. Then we can balance the cap better and keep a nice stockpile of assets for when the time is right.

nice post and i agree. as i mention before i really like to see the season end now, so i can fixate on the moves the FO needs to do improve this team.

my outlook at loyalty for the players are the same that the players agents have toward the owners and the fans. everything is on the table to improve this team to take this team to the eventual goal, the final games to compete for the SC.

again my pov is mine and we can see the SB and the Bhawks FO has a different way of looking at how to fix this team...... psst, i am not confident in their idea.... look at the last 3 yrs as evidence of their way of thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad