Speculation: Poll: Should the Bruins Retain or Trade Trent Frederic?

Should the Bruins retain or trade Trent Frederic?

• Retain

Votes: 73 66.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

impressive-very-nice.gif

Now show Jordan Kyrou and Alex DeBrincat's numbers.

Agreed. One of his goals was 4v4, but 5v5 he had 16 goals. You know who else had 16 5v5 goals? Steven Stamkos, Mika Zibenijad, Jonathan Marchessault, John Tavares, Trevor Zegras, Patrick Kane, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Zach Hyman. Players who had 14 or 15 include Nikita Kucherov, Evgeny Malkin, Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Patrice Bergeron, Filip Forsberg, and Nico Hischier.

For some reason this fanbase wants to completely dismiss that, along with his good defensive play. If Freddy was on another team or a UFA this board would be drooling over him with his pop of physicality and fighting. It’s crazy.
The problem is that you seem to think this is a sign of things to come when in reality it's an outlier.

Reactions: LSCII

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
impressive-very-nice.gif

Why? We know we didn’t take those players. 30 teams also passed on them in the first round.

impressive-very-nice.gif

The problem is that you seem to think this is a sign of things to come when in reality it's an outlier.
The problem is if it’s a young Bruins player it’s an outlier, but a young player doing it on any other team it’s a sign of a developing player who’s getting better.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
So who’s fault was it frederic sucked in the previous playoff series the year before, let me guess… Cassidy’s fault?
Maybe it was your fault?

Yes it was, they BOTH where afraid of Foligno a player that should have be scratched more than he played. But sure lets pick on a kid that score 17 goals with no pp time and will fight anyone for his teammates.

Give this S*** a complete rest. You bring up playoffs? what a joke, the entire team sucked.

Reactions: SonnyBoy

False Start

May 8, 2018
Name a single aspect of Trent Fredreric's game that is outstanding or sets himself apart from other players.

I can't name a single one. Not one aspect of his game is anything more than average at best.

I like his stick defensively, positionally he's solid in his own end.

His shot is also above average in general. A little slow release but he's capable of sniping.

I am an avid hater of Trent Frederic so this is the best I've got.

Reactions: LSCII and BruinDust

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Maybe it was your fault?

Yes it was, they BOTH where afraid of Foligno a player that should have be scratched more than he played. But sure lets pick on a kid that score 17 goals with no pp time and will fight anyone for his teammates.

Give this S*** a complete rest. You bring up playoffs? what a joke, the entire team sucked.

No I didn’t bring up playoffs, you were already referencing playoffs and how montgomery handled him in the playoffs. I just responded to your post about it.

Ahh so it’s everyone else’s fault except Frederic’s and it has nothing to do with Frederic being a complete dud on the playoffs with 9 games 0 goals 0 assists and a -4.

Also foligno was outplaying Frederic in the playoffs this year. That’s why Frederic sat for Lauko.

Just curious besides Cassidy, montgomery and foligno are we going to blame anyone else for Frederic’s poor play before we blame Frederic?

Last edited:
Reactions: Healthy Wrap

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Agreed. One of his goals was 4v4, but 5v5 he had 16 goals. You know who else had 16 5v5 goals? Steven Stamkos, Mika Zibenijad, Jonathan Marchessault, John Tavares, Trevor Zegras, Patrick Kane, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Zach Hyman. Players who had 14 or 15 include Nikita Kucherov, Evgeny Malkin, Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Patrice Bergeron, Filip Forsberg, and Nico Hischier.

For some reason this fanbase wants to completely dismiss that, along with his good defensive play. If Freddy was on another team or a UFA this board would be drooling over him with his pop of physicality and fighting. It’s crazy.
Would love to see how many even strength goals against those folks had too compared to TFred

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
No I didn’t bring up playoffs, you were already referencing playoffs and how montgomery handled him in the playoffs. I just responded to your post about it.

Ahh so it’s everyone else’s fault except Frederic’s and it has nothing to do with Frederic being a complete dud on the playoffs with 9 games 0 goals 0 assists and a -4.

Also foligno was outplaying Frederic in the playoffs this year. That’s why Frederic sat for Lauko.

Just curious besides Cassidy, montgomery and foligno are we going to blame anyone else for Frederic’s poor play before we blame Frederic?
I like his stick defensively, positionally he's solid in his own end.

His shot is also above average in general. A little slow release but he's capable of sniping.

I am an avid hater of Trent Frederic so this is the best I've got.
Why? We know we didn’t take those players. 30 teams also passed on them in the first round.

The problem is if it’s a young Bruins player it’s an outlier, but a young player doing it on any other team it’s a sign of a developing player who’s getting better.
This is why it is so important for players like Frederic to play as many games as possible to acclimate to the league and build confidence. Unless a player is a top first round pick or an outlier it usually takes about 3 years/ seasons at the NHL level to learn what works and what doesn't and for the management team to see what they have in a player.
Frederic has been decent defensively positioned in his own end which is vital for a young player if they want to stay in the league. Have shown he is capable defensively the offense should develop through gaining confidence.
And speaking of confidence 9 playoff games is a building block learning experience. If it was 20 or 29 games and he was constantly scratched or pointless there would be reason to be concerned.
His body/core should now be pretty much developed to better handle the physicality of the league. These thing take time unless your Lucci (a rare specimen at 18). I don't think anyone here would complain if he were able to constantly score 15 - 20 goals a season logging 3rd and 4th line minutes.
We can all have are opinions, but ... the
Bottom line is it all comes down to how much the management team thinks he is worth against the cap and what is currently best for the team.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
You trade anyone that gets you a better need/ player.

So,it all depends on the return.
Exactly. If you can trade him straight-up for a better player or a good player at a position we need (i.e., a top-6 centre), then do it. Of course, that's highly unlikely. Naturally, it all depends on what his cap hit ends up being. If it's deemed to be too high for what he brings to the table, then, sure, see if there's an equivalent player at a better cap hit.

But you don't lightly trade a useful, young player who's improving and fills a role in the bottom 6 – especially this upcoming season when we'll need all hands on deck.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His 17 goals gets propped up a lot but his goals against is one of the best on the team too. Limited minutes and one of the best +/- on the team - and it wasn't like he was riding the offensive production of his line mates to prop it up.

The "he wasn't trusted defensively" line about why they pulled him from the lineup after game 4 is pretty funny

Well his usage says that's exactly the case.

Why else could be the reason they didn't want Mr. 17 EV goals in their playoff line-up?

What I find pretty funny is how the coaches voluntarily pulled a 17 EV goal scorer from the playoff line-up and you don't think it says anything about what they think of this player.

The Bergeron line and the 4th line get the toughest assignments defensively. They preferred other guys with less offense than Frederic on that 4th line. Which says he's not trusted enough in his own end for that spot. Doesn't mean they think he sucks at D or he's one dimensional. Just means he's not quite there yet in their eyes.

Anyways there is nothing left to say about this player. Bring him back, or don't. Either way, it's not going to matter much.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Third line wing. Scored a bunch of even strength goals one season. Great on defense despite no one being able to remember any of his greatest defensive plays. Can supposedly play center despite never really getting time there. Arb fueled RFA contract imminent.

I'm not having a Danton Heinen flashback, am I?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Third line wing. Scored a bunch of even strength goals one season. Great on defense despite no one being able to remember any of his greatest defensive plays. Can supposedly play center despite never really getting time there. Arb fueled RFA contract imminent.

I'm not having a Danton Heinen flashback, am I?

There are a lot of similarities. Not trusted on special teams. Doesn't kill penalties. Found himself either on a scoring line or out of the line-up.

What team is Heinen signed with this upcoming season? Oh that's right, he doesn't even have a contract.

Funny part is, Frederic is only 2 1/2 years younger than Heinen. Yet we still debate Frederic's "potential".

Reactions: Blowfish

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
How the coach used him is not a valid point on his potential or ability.

How the coach used several players is questionable

Reactions: SonnyBoy

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
To people comparing TF to Heinen, here's what my friend had to say about his time in Pittsburgh: (He's a Pen fan)

"Heinen would get beat up by most 21 year old girls. No physical ability. Never near the net. Just shoots decent. Skates ok. Just a "guy""

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Because Kyrou and DeBrincat were available to the Bruins and they skipped on both and picked Frederic instead, which has shown to be a stupid move.

It's because Frederic's going to be 26 years old. If this happened a couple seasons prior, then it would be a sign of positive development. Now? It's clear this past season wasn't representative of who he is as a player and there will be a correction in his numbers.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Because Kyrou and DeBrincat were available to the Bruins and they skipped on both and picked Frederic instead, which has shown to be a stupid move.

It's because Frederic's going to be 26 years old. If this happened a couple seasons prior, then it would be a sign of positive development. Now? It's clear this past season wasn't representative of who he is as a player and there will be a correction in his numbers.

Like shooting % for 1 . TFred shot for 14.2% second only to Krejci and Pasta among regulars.
Career high prior to last season was 9.1.

What are the odds he repeats that?

Reactions: LSCII

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
I'm torn on Frederic to be honest.

I've been critical of him in the past. But here we have a year where the forward group is much less set in stone and can and likely will be, very fluid, at least to start the year. He's never had a better opportunity really than the one in front of him this year.

And they've spent a heck of a lot of ice time, money and coaching effort getting this player to this point in his career. And factoring in the fluidness and opportunity mentioned above, right now feels a bit like NOT the time to trade him away.

Considering I don't like the composition of the D-Corps (especially the left-side) at all, I'd probably favor hanging onto Frederic and letting the D-Corps take the hit.
Too many times I've asked myself "Did Frederick even play tonight?". Sometimes he's a ghost. I think it would be a good time to cut bait. Move him with someone else (for me Grzelcyk) to recover some picks.

Reactions: Blowfish

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Well his usage says that's exactly the case.

Why else could be the reason they didn't want Mr. 17 EV goals in their playoff line-up?

What I find pretty funny is how the coaches voluntarily pulled a 17 EV goal scorer from the playoff line-up and you don't think it says anything about what they think of this player.

The Bergeron line and the 4th line get the toughest assignments defensively. They preferred other guys with less offense than Frederic on that 4th line. Which says he's not trusted enough in his own end for that spot. Doesn't mean they think he sucks at D or he's one dimensional. Just means he's not quite there yet in their eyes.

Anyways there is nothing left to say about this player. Bring him back, or don't. Either way, it's not going to matter much.
They had him in the lineup and were better for it up 3-1, then they pulled him, the wheels fell off, and so they went back to him at the end.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Like shooting % for 1 . TFred shot for 14.2% second only to Krejci and Pasta among regulars.
Career high prior to last season was 9.1.

What are the odds he repeats that?

Not likely since he doesn't have someone like Taylor Hall to mask his deficiencies as a player.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
How did he not carve out a role last year? What am I missing?

The fact that Taylor Hall and Charlie Coyle were his line mates and they sacrificed their production to make Frederic look better by comparison. Frederic's numbers only look good because of the fact he's dragging his other teammates down offensively to do so. Same with DeBrusk when they matched him with Bergeron and Marchand instead of keeping them with Pastrnak. Pastrnak's numbers were still good and he gave Krejci and Zacha a second breath of life, but Marchand and Bergeron's production suffered immensely by being tethered to the offensive black hole known as Jake DeBrusk. Same is true by tying Taylor Hall to Trent Frederic. DeBrusk and Frederic had their numbers inflated by playing with better players who had their production drop into the toilet by having to carry two albatrosses who can't create offense on their own.

I like Trent Frederic because he's a high character player, but man is he bang average talent wise and an absolute waste of a first round pick. Especially when you consider how much someone like Kyrou is lighting it up in St Louis or DeBrincat is doing with the Senators.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
The fact that Taylor Hall and Charlie Coyle were his line mates and they sacrificed their production to make Frederic look better by comparison. Frederic's numbers only look good because of the fact he's dragging his other teammates down offensively to do so. Same with DeBrusk when they matched him with Bergeron and Marchand instead of keeping them with Pastrnak. Pastrnak's numbers were still good and he gave Krejci and Zacha a second breath of life, but Marchand and Bergeron's production suffered immensely by being tethered to the offensive black hole known as Jake DeBrusk. Same is true by tying Taylor Hall to Trent Frederic. DeBrusk and Frederic had their numbers inflated by playing with better players who had their production drop into the toilet by having to carry two albatrosses who can't create offense on their own.

I like Trent Frederic because he's a high character player, but man is he bang average talent wise and an absolute waste of a first round pick. Especially when you consider how much someone like Kyrou is lighting it up in St Louis or DeBrincat is doing with the Senators.
:laugh:

• Love
Reactions: Over the volcano

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

I'm impressed with the fact that you didn't want to be wrong on just one thing.

You really hit for the cycle here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad