Speculation: Poll: Should the Bruins Retain or Trade Trent Frederic?

Should the Bruins retain or trade Trent Frederic?

• Retain

Votes: 73 66.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm torn on Frederic to be honest.

I've been critical of him in the past. But here we have a year where the forward group is much less set in stone and can and likely will be, very fluid, at least to start the year. He's never had a better opportunity really than the one in front of him this year.

And they've spent a heck of a lot of ice time, money and coaching effort getting this player to this point in his career. And factoring in the fluidness and opportunity mentioned above, right now feels a bit like NOT the time to trade him away.

Considering I don't like the composition of the D-Corps (especially the left-side) at all, I'd probably favor hanging onto Frederic and letting the D-Corps take the hit.

If I did not make it clear previously, I am not advocating that they trade Frederic at this time. Even packaged, the market being what it apparently is, the Bruins would likely receive an underwhelming return.

Again, they should give Frederic all the 4 C minutes he can handle and see what happens.

As you correctly adjudge, given the "fluidity" of the roster at this point, with no log jam, now is indeed the time for management to finally see what they have in the player. Or, what they don't.

No excuses going forward.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Finally develop a player, has his best stat season yet with 17 goals, still young and can play center and people want him traded? Nuts. Even at 3 mil he certainly can become a third line center and his value at that price there is better than the 6mil spent on Coyle. It’s resetting the cap and allowing Coyle to leave and actually take that 6mil and put it towards a 1 center. I think Frederic will surprise a few people this year and will show he is a capable third line center.
Thank god some of our loyal posters are just that "posters"

Freddy is going to get paid, he's a unique talent that would have teams lining up for him if we move him.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Sell high. Frederic isn't gonna score more points than this in his career and he's been a waste of a first round pick when they could've had Jordan Kyrou or Alex DeBrincat. Try and get some mid round draft capital for him since that's what Sweeney loves anyway.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If I did not make it clear previously, I am not advocating that they trade Frederic at this time. Even packaged, the market being what it apparently is, the Bruins would likely receive an underwhelming return.

Again, they should give Frederic all the 4 C minutes he can handle and see what happens.

As you correctly adjudge, given the "fluidity" of the roster at this point, with no log jam, now is indeed the time for management to finally see what they have in the player. Or, what they don't.

No excuses going forward.

This season is it for me. Like you said, no excuses. Piles of opportunity on this roster for Frederic to finally carve out a role. If come next spring he's still not a sure-fire part of the playoff line-up, then it's time to end this experiment.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Thank god some of our loyal posters are just that "posters"

Freddy is going to get paid, he's a unique talent that would have teams lining up for him if we move him.

Name a single aspect of Trent Fredreric's game that is outstanding or sets himself apart from other players.

I can't name a single one. Not one aspect of his game is anything more than average at best.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Name a single aspect of Trent Fredreric's game that is outstanding or sets himself apart from other players.

I can't name a single one. Not one aspect of his game is anything more than average at best.
There's plenty of room for a young center/wing who can play defensively, pot you 20 goals and KO opponents who cross the line. Not sure who else on this club can do that - who else out in the league can do that?

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This season is it for me. Like you said, no excuses. Piles of opportunity on this roster for Frederic to finally carve out a role. If come next spring he's still not a sure-fire part of the playoff line-up, then it's time to end this experiment.
How did he not carve out a role last year? What am I missing?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There's plenty of room for a young center/wing who can play defensively, pot you 20 goals and KO opponents who cross the line. Not sure who else on this club can do that - who else out in the league can do that?

Why do people always say “this player can do this” when they’ve never done it. Debrusk is a 35+ goal scorer and Frederic is now a 20+ goal scorer?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I actually have no issues with him coming back. I actually think its a bad time to trade him. Provided they can fit him in cap wise.

I take issue with him being labelled as something unique to the NHL or having an outstanding skill that makes him special.

First of all, he's yet to prove he can play C in the NHL. Hasn't done it yet. I'd like to see it because he'd be more valuable there. I think he'd be better there. But it's not proven.

He got 17 goals last year. I think depending on his role next year, could be more, could be less. He won't be playing across from a former MVP and excellent playmaker in Hall anymore. I still don't see him getting much of a look on the PP.

Play defensively? Where has he displayed that? Not saying he can't do it, but his coaches thus far have not relied upon him as such. Doesn't even sniff the PK. Is he ever out there up a goal late in games?

KO'ing opponents? True fighters (like Lucic or Reaves) would eat this guy for breakfast. He's never in his career face a single player who would be termed a quality fighther. Lightweights and middleweights is all he'll fight. That bout last year with Dylan Cozens was epic.

How did he not carve out a role last year? What am I missing?

Monty didn't seem to think he did. Just go by his usage.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I actually have no issues with him coming back. I actually think its a bad time to trade him. Provided they can fit him in cap wise.

I take issue with him being labelled as something unique to the NHL or having an outstanding skill that makes him special.

First of all, he's yet to prove he can play C in the NHL. Hasn't done it yet. I'd like to see it because he'd be more valuable there. I think he'd be better there. But it's not proven.

He got 17 goals last year. I think depending on his role next year, could be more, could be less. He won't be playing across from a former MVP and excellent playmaker in Hall anymore. I still don't see him getting much of a look on the PP.

Play defensively? Where has he displayed that? Not saying he can't do it, but his coaches thus far have not relied upon him as such. Doesn't even sniff the PK. Is he ever out there up a goal late in games?

KO'ing opponents? True fighters (like Lucic or Reaves) would eat this guy for breakfast. He's never in his career face a single player who would be termed a quality fighther. Lightweights and middleweights is all he'll fight. That bout last year with Dylan Cozens was epic.

Monty didn't seem to think he did. Just go by his usage.
It seems like you’re creating some strawman where he has to be “unique”. And he had a role but it’s not the one you want.

Played on a very good line and he had 58% DZ starts. Everyone is waving off his 17 ES goals but that’s impressive for his low ice time. He’s a solid third line winger.

Reactions: SonnyBoy and hrdpuk

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It seems like you’re creating some strawman where he has to be “unique”. And he had a role but it’s not the one you want.

Played on a very good line and he had 58% DZ starts. Everyone is waving off his 17 ES goals but that’s impressive for his low ice time. He’s a solid third line winger.

I don't think he's unique, I actually think he's very well-rounded. But sometimes well-rounded can work against a player as it can be harder for coaches to use them. Especially if your a winger.

He didn't have a role here last year. If he did, he's not getting scratched in the playoffs. Fact is, he was easy to scratch as he didn't play special teams (so no re-jigging of the units with his absence) and he wasn't relied upon in key moments (defensively or offensively). They didn't seem to want him on the 4th line.

No different than Craig Smith when he was here. Only used 5 on 5 for the most part and for coaches, you can't have 3-4 wingers dressed who only play even-strength. You need more defined skill-sets for your special teams and key moments.

I think "well-rounded" suits playing center far more than on the wing. I see no reason why he can't center a line with a fair bit of defensive responsibility. Keeps his feet moving too and that will help him as his first few strides are a weak-point of his game. I think he can be a solid PKer if given a chance. I think he could become a excellent face-off guy.

I just disagree that he's some power forward, Milan Lucic-lite that many think he is. I just don't see it. I think he could be Barclay Goodrow, and that can still be useful and valuable.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He didn't have a role here last year. If he did, he's not getting scratched in the playoffs
But see that’s not true. He had a role all year it’s just not the one you seem to consider a role. He played on the third line and was deployed in a defensive manner with Coyle. And just because Monty screwed up doesn’t mean you devalue everything he did all year. Did Grizz have a role last year? Clifton? Foligno?

Reactions: hrdpuk

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

With this opinion why should I bother? You hate him I like him.

The end.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
But see that’s not true. He had a role all year it’s just not the one you seem to consider a role. He played on the third line and was deployed in a defensive manner with Coyle. And just because Monty screwed up doesn’t mean you devalue everything he did all year. Did Grizz have a role last year? Clifton? Foligno?
Freddy sucks because the coach is a dumbass and should have been fired after the playoffs.

This guy still being the coach is mind boggling to me. He was only kept on to be the fall guy if and when this season goes dark.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With this opinion why should I bother? You hate him I like him.

The end.

There are plenty of posts where I have good things to say and I don't hate him at all. Read above.

I'm fine if he's back here. I don't like how they use him and I think a lot of fans have this perception of him that is totally inaccurate IMO.

D-men at totally different. A good D-corps incorporates all 6 guys and they all have a role on the team. Apples to oranges. You pretty much have to.

Foligno did not have a role here IMO the past two years. No different than Frederic.

On that 3rd line, Frederic was basically a place-holder. When they traded for Bertuzzi I said here that it could possibly push him out of the playoff line-up and if not for injuries to 46/37, I seriously doubt Frederic is in the line-up Game 1.

Here's the thing....you say he was deployed in a defensive manner like with Coyle, but at the end of the day, they didn't want him on the 4th line where he'd be getting even more defensive zone starts. They flat out wouldn't use him there. It was on a scoring line or the press box. And he has never been asked to kill penalties at the NHL level.

Think about that. Everyone talks about Frederic's game about physical play and fighting, sounds like a 4th line type of thing to me, yet the his coaches never us him on the 4th line. Because they don't really trust him in his own end yet. He was a 17 EV goal scorer but when push came to shove, they didn't think he was a good option for Nosek's line and didn't have room for him on a scoring line, despite all those goals. That to me, does devalue what he did this year because his own coaches did not value it. They did not value what he brought to the table, because once again, what exactly does he bring to the table that says "yup, I need that guy in my line-up".

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There are plenty of posts where I have good things to say and I don't hate him at all. Read above.

I'm fine if he's back here. I don't like how they use him and I think a lot of fans have this perception of him that is totally inaccurate IMO.

D-men at totally different. A good D-corps incorporates all 6 guys and they all have a role on the team. Apples to oranges. You pretty much have to.

Foligno did not have a role here IMO the past two years. No different than Frederic.

On that 3rd line, Frederic was basically a place-holder. When they traded for Bertuzzi I said here that it could possibly push him out of the playoff line-up and if not for injuries to 46/37, I seriously doubt Frederic is in the line-up Game 1.

Here's the thing....you say he was deployed in a defensive manner like with Coyle, but at the end of the day, they didn't want him on the 4th line where he'd be getting even more defensive zone starts. They flat out wouldn't use him there. It was on a scoring line or the press box. And he has never been asked to kill penalties at the NHL level.

Think about that. Everyone talks about Frederic's game about physical play and fighting, sounds like a 4th line type of thing to me, yet the his coaches never us him on the 4th line. Because they don't really trust him in his own end yet. He was a 17 EV goal scorer but when push came to shove, they didn't think he was a good option for Nosek's line and didn't have room for him on a scoring line, despite all those goals. That to me, does devalue what he did this year because his own coaches did not value it. They did not value what he brought to the table, because once again, what exactly does he bring to the table that says "yup, I need that guy in my line-up".
Again this is always backwards moving into he doesn’t play special teams so he had no role. That third line had a huge role for the Bruins, and there’s no reason to call him a place holder. He was very important on that line and his numbers and analytics show that to be the case. You saying that if he was better he would be used on the fourth line instead of the third line is out there man.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Freddy sucks because the coach is a dumbass and should have been fired after the playoffs.

This guy still being the coach is mind boggling to me. He was only kept on to be the fall guy if and when this season goes dark.

So who’s fault was it frederic sucked in the previous playoff series the year before, let me guess… Cassidy’s fault?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Again this is always backwards moving into he doesn’t play special teams so he had no role. That third line had a huge role for the Bruins, and there’s no reason to call him a place holder. He was very important on that line and his numbers and analytics show that to be the case. You saying that if he was better he would be used on the fourth line instead of the third line is out there man.

What I'm saying is he wasn't trusted enough defensively by the coaching staff to put him on a line (the Nosek line) that was getting more defensive responsibility than the 3rd line (and the 2nd line as well). They didn't give two shits about his 17 EV goals.

When it boiled right down to it, once their were 9 better forwards ahead of him, instead of simply dropping him down a line and keeping him in the line-up, he was sent to the press box. Because whichever two wingers played on that 4th line, the coaches trusted those wingers more defensively and given how the line is used, defensive ability was more important to the coaches than offensive ability. If the coaches place more value on offense when putting together the 4th line, Frederic would of still been in the line-up.

It's his lack of defensive ability (shown thus far) that basically relegated him to 13th F with a full healthy line-up. Not his offense. You can tell a lot about a player based on how the coaches us them.

All is not lost. He's has an average, but well-rounded, skill-set and with some coaching, I think he'd make a good bottom 6 center who can take face-offs and go up against other teams better players.

Reactions: hrdpuk

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What I'm saying is he wasn't trusted enough defensively by the coaching staff to put him on a line (the Nosek line) that was getting more defensive responsibility than the 3rd line (and the 2nd line as well). They didn't give two shits about his 17 EV goals.

When it boiled right down to it, once their were 9 better forwards ahead of him, instead of simply dropping him down a line and keeping him in the line-up, he was sent to the press box. Because whichever two wingers played on that 4th line, the coaches trusted those wingers more defensively and given how the line is used, defensive ability was more important to the coaches than offensive ability. If the coaches place more value on offense when putting together the 4th line, Frederic would of still been in the line-up.

It's his lack of defensive ability (shown thus far) that basically relegated him to 13th F with a full healthy line-up. Not his offense. You can tell a lot about a player based on how the coaches us them.

All is not lost. He's has an average, but well-rounded, skill-set and with some coaching, I think he'd make a good bottom 6 center who can take face-offs and go up against other teams better players.
Frederic is a third line player not a fourth line player. He’s a solid winger who performed well last year, regardless of how Monty was a dumbass and scratched him. Coyle wasn’t used on the fourth line either - is his defensive ability suspect?

You’re just continually damning him with faint praise - it’s fine, you’re not a fan of his. But your logic just doesn’t add up.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

His 17 goals gets propped up a lot but his goals against is one of the best on the team too. Limited minutes and one of the best +/- on the team - and it wasn't like he was riding the offensive production of his line mates to prop it up.

The "he wasn't trusted defensively" line about why they pulled him from the lineup after game 4 is pretty funny

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
His 17 goals gets propped up a lot but his goals against is one of the best on the team too. Limited minutes and one of the best +/- on the team - and it wasn't like he was riding the offensive production of his line mates to prop it up.
Agreed. One of his goals was 4v4, but 5v5 he had 16 goals. You know who else had 16 5v5 goals? Steven Stamkos, Mika Zibenijad, Jonathan Marchessault, John Tavares, Trevor Zegras, Patrick Kane, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Zach Hyman. Players who had 14 or 15 include Nikita Kucherov, Evgeny Malkin, Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Patrice Bergeron, Filip Forsberg, and Nico Hischier.

For some reason this fanbase wants to completely dismiss that, along with his good defensive play. If Freddy was on another team or a UFA this board would be drooling over him with his pop of physicality and fighting. It’s crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad