Speculation: Poll: Should the Bruins Retain or Trade Trent Frederic?

Should the Bruins retain or trade Trent Frederic?

• Retain

Votes: 73 66.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I'm impressed with the fact that you didn't want to be wrong on just one thing.

You really hit for the cycle here.

Prove it to be wrong then. Show me where I'm wrong.

Again...where's the lie? Hall's numbers tanked the moment he had to support Frederic. I guarantee his numbers won't match anywhere close to his production from this past year now that Hall's left.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Be honest with yourself. How much of DeBrusk and Frederic's "growth" as players has come at the consequence of Marchand, Bergeron, and Hall posting lower scoring numbers last season? Like it drives me nuts how people seem to consistently want to hand wave this away when its right there staring them in the face.
Come on man, shitting all over DeBrusk's contribution last year by saying he isn't David Pastrnak is one of the most bizarre things you could do without being on a bender...lol.
DeBrusk arguably was more the driver of that line over Marchand.

Trent Frederic though is a different story as he can't hold DeBrusk's jock strap to begin with.

Reactions: BruinDust and LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How the coach used him is not a valid point on his potential or ability.

How the coach used several players is questionable

So as fans, we can't take anything away from how their NHL coaches (who apparently know a lot more about the player and sport than we do) use them in terms of evaluating their potential and performance?

Bizarre.

Reactions: hrdpuk

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They had him in the lineup and were better for it up 3-1, then they pulled him, the wheels fell off, and so they went back to him at the end.

Oh, you mean the minus 1, 6 shots and zero points in those 4 games they had with your boy T-Fred in the line-up? What a contribution to those wins.

His coaches could see what a great contribution made in those games clearly, Given they used him less than 10 mins. a night. Which are 4th line minutes essentially.

Of those 4 games, his ice time when compared to the rest of the forward group.

Gm 1 - 11th

Gm 2 - 11th

Gm 3 - 11th

Gm 4 - 10th

So we have a player, that despite being on the 3rd line, ended up with minutes less than some 4th liners. All 4 games. Once again, not being part of special teams is part of that, but it's also part of the problem with this player.

If he's back, he needs to be more than just a player we see at even strength if he's getting a decent raise (and he likely is).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Like shooting % for 1 . TFred shot for 14.2% second only to Krejci and Pasta among regulars.
Career high prior to last season was 9.1.

What are the odds he repeats that?
I've been pointing this out for a while now to the resign Freddy at all costs crowd and they have zero response. The guy's normal shooting percentage is 8.5% a season and we're supposed to believe he's going to suddenly and consistently shoot above 14%? It's like Beleskey 2.0.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've been pointing this out for a while now to the resign Freddy at all costs crowd and they have zero response. The guy's normal shooting percentage is 8.5% a season and we're supposed to believe he's going to suddenly and consistently shoot above 14%? It's like Beleskey 2.0.

We should do another poll if he's kept around.

Will T-Fred score 17 or more EV goals again next year?

My vote will be no. He ain't getting no former Hart Trophy winner on his opposite wing this year.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I’m surprised they haven’t turned to the classic “it was Cassidy’s fault” excuse

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We should do another poll if he's kept around.

Will T-Fred score 17 or more EV goals again next year?

My vote will be no. He ain't getting no former Hart Trophy winner on his opposite wing this year.
Well that's the thing right? He played up above his actual spot last season, and with far better players. On a team that had the ability to roll 4 lines that could score, and was a front running wagon. And he had an inflated shooting percentage. All that was serendipity to enable him to get that 17 goal mark. You fast forward to this upcoming season, and his shooting percentage will be hard pressed to not drop given his career average, his role is likely going to be 4th line center, and his line mates are not going to be productive set up guys like Hall. He'll also have the added defensive responsibilities of playing center vs wing on a line essentially carried by Coyle and Hall. He's got nowhere to go but down.

All that is a long way to say take the under in your upcoming poll...:naughty:

I’m surprised they haven’t turned to the classic “it was Cassidy’s fault” excuse
It's always funny when their scapegoat is touring the state of MA with the Stanley Cup he just helped win with his new team. You can't make shit like this up if you tried...

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well that's the thing right? He played up above his actual spot last season, and with far better players. On a team that had the ability to roll 4 lines that could score, and was a front running wagon. And he had an inflated shooting percentage. All that was serendipity to enable him to get that 17 goal mark. You fast forward to this upcoming season, and his shooting percentage will be hard pressed to not drop given his career average, his role is likely going to be 4th line center, and his line mates are not going to be productive set up guys like Hall. He'll also have the added defensive responsibilities of playing center vs wing on a line essentially carried by Coyle and Hall. He's got nowhere to go but down.

All that is a long way to say take the under in your upcoming poll...:naughty:

It's always funny when their scapegoat is touring the state of MA with the Stanley Cup he just helped win with his new team. You can't make shit like this up if you tried...

If he ends up back on the wing, it certainly doesn't project well to matching or exceeding those 17 EV goals. For all the factors you mention above.

If by some way they can convert him back to C and have him center a 4th line that can shut down other teams best lines, and take a role on the PK, I'm fine with that even if his EV goal production will go down. I'm not convinced Monty will try him there though.

Reactions: LSCII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Oh, you mean the minus 1, 6 shots and zero points in those 4 games they had with your boy T-Fred in the line-up? What a contribution to those wins.

His coaches could see what a great contribution made in those games clearly, Given they used him less than 10 mins. a night. Which are 4th line minutes essentially.

Of those 4 games, his ice time when compared to the rest of the forward group.

Gm 1 - 11th

Gm 2 - 11th

Gm 3 - 11th

Gm 4 - 10th

So we have a player, that despite being on the 3rd line, ended up with minutes less than some 4th liners. All 4 games. Once again, not being part of special teams is part of that, but it's also part of the problem with this player.

If he's back, he needs to be more than just a player we see at even strength if he's getting a decent raise (and he likely is).
We all know the coaching staff made great decisions in that series and after game 4 in particular.

And also FWIW that was the deepest Bruins team on paper I've ever seen in my life.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Beleskey was given 5 years and 19mil this is not that.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Be honest with yourself. How much of DeBrusk and Frederic's "growth" as players has come at the consequence of Marchand, Bergeron, and Hall posting lower scoring numbers last season? Like it drives me nuts how people seem to consistently want to hand wave this away when it's right there staring them in the face.
If I'm going to be completely honest I have to say your take is hilarious. He wasn't taking goals away from anyone and no one was sacrificing their game to prop him up.

He was the best option for that third line role and he knocked or out of the park. After the trade deadline they team outsmarted itself with new toys and options to shuffle the lineup around, Krejci and Bergeron got dinged up and the core of the team fell apart including that 3rd line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We all know the coaching staff made great decisions in that series and after game 4 in particular.

And also FWIW that was the deepest Bruins team on paper I've ever seen in my life.

They made some mistakes in the playoffs, and on paper it was a very deep team, maybe the deepest forward group we've seen here in years (when healthy).

I just don't think Frederic in or scratch mattered whatsoever in the final outcome of the series. Just like I don't think it really matters if he's here next year or not. And I'm fine if he's still here, like I've stated before, I think there is a role for him here, just not many think he'll be effective in. Maybe he surprises everyone and claims a Top 6 wing spot (realistically there is one spot up for grabs to go with 63/88/74).

I've stepping away from commenting on this player moving forward. I've said my piece. Best of luck to Mr. Frederic.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Maybe it was your fault?

Yes it was, they BOTH where afraid of Foligno a player that should have be scratched more than he played. But sure lets pick on a kid that score 17 goals with no pp time and will fight anyone for his teammates.

Give this S*** a complete rest. You bring up playoffs? what a joke, the entire team sucked.
You are right ,but they didn't suck until the 5th game ...............when the lineup was written out.............

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I voted trade..

Its two coaches now... that is hesitant to give Freddy 3rd period mins. Also mild history of concussion.

Not sure if he can score - close to 20 goals again. Might be a good time to trade him.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad