Post-Game Talk: Pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
As soon as the Rangers decided to go along with Tampa and turn the game into a track meet, I had a bad feeling.

Rangers don't typically do well in wide open, defense is optional style games, and the fact that they decided to do this in the middle of a tough schedule against a good team pretty much sealed their fate IMO.

They were gassed...mentally and physically. I really thought PL should have called a TO to reign them in but maybe he wanted a "teaching moment" for future reference...or maybe he was gassed as well.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
They started taking more risks pushing for offense. They were in a rush to get on the rush, and every little chip pass that tried to spring the rush was intercepted and transitioned the other way.

Tampa is best in the league at that kind of stuff. Which is yet another reason Tampa is a tough matchup for us especially if their big guys are going and pot a few.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I also find this a weird game to complain about Mika ngl

we just got outplayed when we got away from what works. hopefully they learn from it.

I do, unfortunately, see the staff pointing to Trouba's absence as a part of this loss even if I totally disagree with it.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
They started taking more risks pushing for offense. They were in a rush to get on the rush, and every little chip pass that tried to spring the rush was intercepted and transitioned the other way.
Yes, exactly this. They got a little globe-trottery, as they do, and started to try for plays that weren't there. Several were guilty of this - Brodzinski, Cuylle, Panarin, Miller, Laffy ... a lot of them.

You'd like to see the team get get to the place that when they're up against a team like this, if there's a straightforward play to get up the ice, they do it. Right now they act as if there's something wrong with skating straight ahead & taking open shots.

Reactions: will1066 and bl02

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Yes, exactly this. They got a little globe-trottery, as they do, and started to try for plays that weren't there. Several were guilty of this - Brodzinski, Cuylle, Panarin, Miller, Laffy ... a lot of them.

You'd like to see the team get get to the place that when they're up against a team like this, if there's a straightforward play to get up the ice, they do it. Right now they act as if there's something wrong with skating straight ahead & taking open shots.
Right now???????

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

we just got outplayed when we got away from what works. hopefully they learn from it.

I do, unfortunately, see the staff pointing to Trouba's absence as a part of this loss even if I totally disagree with it.
Team wins 5 in a row with him out , look great, but the one loss “HA! I knew it it, we need Trouba back in the lineup playing 25 minutes!” lol but sadly you’re probably right.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Keep skating. It's remarkable how much hockey strategies have grown to resemble soccer ones (e.g., Carolina and Philadelphia with Gegenpressing). Wonder if we should consider a tiki-taka approach to the PP (forming triangles and rotating players to find / create open men around the puck and then shift the play to the other side).

Just a thought.
they rotate sometimes but it's a perimeter rotation... no one cuts through the middle. Mika needs to get to the slot once in a while

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY

People complain about Mika after a game like this not because of the 60 minutes that occurred on the ice, but because in the big picture it becomes readily obvious that other teams have players that in big moments can take over a game. And he has consistently shown he is not that type of player.

Can you win a Stanley Cup without that type of player at 1C? That's the big picture question that pops into people's minds after a game like last night. Not necessarily "I hate how Mika played in that particular hockey game".

Reactions: Atax and will1066

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Win-o-Meter?
1710514670843.png

1710514706184.png

How can anyone want to play Tampa in the playoffs after the last decade?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It amazes me how much people will overreact to one play.

We're still hearing about Fox's turnover in game 7. It was Kreider's fault.

My all-time favorite is when Girardi laid out Pacioretty with a huge hit 30 seconds into our 2017 series against Montreal. Girardi then proceeded to die and rot on the ice in full view of the world for 6 games. People would not shut up about what a great series he had because he threw one hit.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Send brodzinski down, guy stinks

Tampa has the alpha energy, Rangers have so many beta players that are subconsciously wanting to be bent over and rammed.
they definitely have 2 alpha forwards that can take over games. That's where we've been sputtering and stalling

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I know you guys are going to hate to hear this but I'll say it anyway. For better or worse, Trouba was eating 25 minutes of ice time a night. You replaced him with Jones who gets significantly less. We played 4 games in 6 nights, last 2 on the road. And of course Lindgren is in the locker room for a stretch of that 3rd. The D were gassed. Miller couldn't remember how to play hockey and I can point to 2 goals where Fox floated around near or behind our net as somebody in the slot scored. I'm not taking anything good or bad from this game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know you guys are going to hate to hear this but I'll say it anyway. For better or worse, Trouba was eating 25 minutes of ice time a night. You replaced him with Jones who gets significantly less. We played 4 games in 6 nights, last 2 on the road. And of course Lindgren is in the locker room for a stretch of that 3rd. The D were gassed. Miller couldn't remember how to play hockey and I can point to 2 goals where Fox floated around near or behind our net as somebody in the slot scored. I'm not taking anything good or bad from this game.
Trouba's not eating 25 minutes a night. He's taking one bite and immediately choking on it.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Fox has a higher TOI / GP than Trouba and Miller has almost identical.

Fox and Miller actually played less TOI yesterday than their season avg (Miller very close).

Fatigue may have been an issue but it had nothing to do with Trouba.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Fox has a higher TOI / GP than Trouba and Miller has almost identical.

Fox and Miller actually played less TOI yesterday than their season avg (Miller very close).

Fatigue may have been an issue but it had nothing to do with Trouba.
Disagree. Not saying Trouba should be playing 25 minutes, but he was. Covering those extra minutes takes a toll eventually.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Disagree. Not saying Trouba should be playing 25 minutes, but he was. Covering those extra minutes takes a toll eventually.

How do you disagree with time? Haha. First of all he only plays 23 min / game. And if his extra minutes needed to be "covered" wouldn't Fox and Miller's TOI increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad