Post-Game Talk: Pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I'm still stunned by the duclair noncall. The ref is literally on camera watching him bury lindgren after a clean hit. The ref actually can be seen speaking to duclair AS IT HAPPENSView attachment 836250View attachment 836252View attachment 836251
Tampa is still an NHL darling team. They'll push them like the Pens, Vegas, Caps used to be, Kings used to be, Blackhawks used to... NHL thinks it's competing with the NFL where most of its viewers are casuals who know nothing about the sport and just want to see repeat champions because numbskulls like that stuff... NHL is different and unless you're a Bolts fan you despise them. No one outside of western FLA gives a rats ass about the Lightning. Nobody outside of western PA likes Crosby. But the NHL will NHL. They think there's casuals like the NFL but there isn't. There's basically only die hard fans of each team. That's why you can't market specific players in this sport these days. In the past sure, everyone wanted to see Gretz and Mario. Nobody is storming the bars to catch an Oilers game to get a glimpse of McDavid. Nobody gives a shit about the Lightning.

Seeing a ref and a linesman staring at a blatant penalty on camera exposes the league for what it is. A WWE level joke. They'll go to the tablet to review a high stick or a puck glancing off the glass but they'll stand there staring at that Duclair play and swallow their whistle exposing themselves for the frauds they are.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
It really is crazy how quick this group of fans is to start flinging their own shit when the team loses.

Oh and we got to see what the team looks like without Zib for the last part of the second period there. Anyone enjoy that stretch? Perhaps a teachable moment for the class?

Spoiler: Mika may be their most important player.
He's stunk all year and theyre in first place.

Reactions: ArPanet and tiggles

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't mind these type of losses. I think we have played over our head this season. These losses remind the team how hard it will be in the playoffs. Im hoping for a playoff run as much as anyone but we will need to earn it. I think in terms of overall talent we are probably 8-10 in the league. Im hoping for another 1979 or 2014 where we had talent but got hot at the right time.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Agree the schedule did them no favors.

But a stark reminder that you need 60 min of execution to beat Tampa when they are fired up. First half-sih of the game up until the 1st goal was flat-out phenomenal by the NYR. But a few mistakes and bad shifts and the beast awoke. Sound familiar?

NYR are absolutely deeper and should prevail in a 7 game series but TB will not be an easy out and will almost certainly take a bite out of whoever they play.

Yeah, Tampa is best avoided. They play nasty not to say dirty. Florida Tampa would be a war again and I'd be surprised if Barkov made it out of that series in one piece.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You're talking about Brodzinski, right?
Execution mistake aside, If Laviolette chooses to play Goodrow at center then probably Edstrom is a better option as his wing than Brodzinski. At least I’d rotate 4C between Goodrow and Brodzinski to see who fits better.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Look, if Tampa is still a team that one mistake tilts the rest of the game in their favor then they will remain dangerous in the playoffs. Felt like last night even if the Rangers scored 5 before the bad Brod play Tampa would have potted 6 anyway.

Reactions: Filip Chytil

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The Panarin Lafreniere Trocheck line has cooled down and the Mika line hasn't heated up.

We are struggling a bit right now.

I maintain that we really need that #1 center and Mika is not it.

Even in his heydey he couldn't take over a game like Point just did. Yes, he had that one 5 goal game, but the Lightning just jumped on us and swarmed. Mika doesn't have the motor to do that.

I'm telling you. This team needs to upgrade Mika and Trouba this offseason, it should be priority 1.

Move those two out, get a real 1C and get another first pair D.

We have the assets to go 1C hunting.

• Haha
Reactions: kroufum

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
When they decide they want to play like it is the 1970s and flail their sticks and try to go end to end with teams like Florida and Tampa that’s when they suck

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Send brodzinski down, guy stinks

Tampa has the alpha energy, Rangers have so many beta players that are subconsciously wanting to be bent over and rammed.

Even Duclair, just acquired, looked like he was buzzing.

Our guys just float.

Reactions: will1066

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the second half sucked but it really wasn't the worst game in the world. It took Point going absolutely ape shit for Tampa to win. I'm not that bothered by it. Move on.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Maybe it was fatigue but the Rangers just don’t generate enough offense. Even throughout this stretch after the deadline it’s been their defense limiting chances more than anything.

We desperately need a high energy first line. Mika and Kreider are zombies.

Kreider can stay but Mika has to be changed out. He's not a bad player, he is not even necessarily a bad value $8.5m (well, this season he is), but he can't be your alpha on a Cup winner. He's just not that guy.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Team playing with skill vs team playing with heart/fight. Skilled team ends up getting bumblefkkd off the ice.

Doesn’t seem to bode well for playoffs, regardless of who the Rangers draw.

But it's not just that one team has heart and fight.

It's that they have elite skilled scorers who play with heart and fight.

We have lesser talented players who also don't play with fight.

Panarin is the only ace forward we have that equals Kucherov, Point or Stamkos.

the team lost all of their steam after the Brodz turnover.

they ran out of gas after the gut punch. Played a horrible mental game and were very poor in the last 30 minutes managing the puck.

Scheduled losses are a real thing. It is what it is.

In a vacuum this isn't a horrible loss and it's not worth overreacting to.

But it does reinforce the ultimate changes we know that we need.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Saw the first period, thinking we have this in the bag. Went back to work. Saw 6-3 final score.

What the hell!?

It's a common look in Florida

not at all a joke
During my senior year of high school there (c. 2005), it used to be double-polos with popped collars (Paco Rabanne optional). Special fashion sense over there.

Reactions: Filip Chytil

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
My biggest concern is the PP right now. It's been stale. A lot of standing around.

They had success against the Blues off of broken plays or getting the puck to the net with traffic. Simplify it until things open up

Reactions: CasusBelli

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
On top of how stupid it is they didn't call Duclair... they decided to call Laf for some BS phantom interference when he was falling down.

I can forgive human error and interpreting things wrongly or differently based on perspective.

But blatantly making shit up and letting other things go is inexcusable.

The refs are either THAT incompetent, and one of them was celebrated for reffing 1000 NHL games last night, or the memo is out for them to make calls that sway the outcome.

Reactions: NCRanger

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Saw the first period, thinking we have this in the bag. Went back to work. Saw 6-3 final score.

What the hell!?

They started taking more risks pushing for offense. They were in a rush to get on the rush, and every little chip pass that tried to spring the rush was intercepted and transitioned the other way.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
My biggest concern is the PP right now. It's been stale. A lot of standing around.

They had success against the Blues off of broken plays or getting the puck to the net with traffic. Simplify it until things open up
Keep skating. It's remarkable how much hockey strategies have grown to resemble soccer ones (e.g., Carolina and Philadelphia with Gegenpressing). Wonder if we should consider a tiki-taka approach to the PP (forming triangles and rotating players to find / create open men around the puck and then shift the play to the other side).

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad