Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This forum overrates R9 like no place I’ve ever seen.

Even the one crazy season in Inter…Messi and Cristiano have done that like eclipsed that like 10,11,12 times in this era.

may opinion, even in that era was that he wasn’t even the best Brazilian player of his time.

I’d like to see someone post any historical ranking, from anywhere, from anyone, where R9 is ranked so highly as he is here.
Dinho is even more overrated

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This forum overrates R9 like no place I’ve ever seen.

Even the one crazy season in Inter…Messi and Cristiano have eclipsed that like 10,11,12 times in this era.

My opinion, even in that era was that he wasn’t even the best Brazilian player of his time.

I’d like to see someone post any historical ranking, from anywhere, from anyone, where R9 is ranked so highly as he is here.
I agree. One of the best natural talents ever, but CR7 has so clearly passed R9’s peak multiple times over. I don’t really see how there’s a discussion over who’s better.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I agree. One of the best natural talents ever, but CR7 has so clearly passed R9’s peak multiple times over. I don’t really see how there’s a discussion over who’s better.
R9's is a better talent no doubt in my mind. Unlucky with injuries and was not committed in being the fittest player were his downfall.
CR7 is the opposite. One of the most fit player in football history with incredible work ethic.
If you give me for one game CR7 or R9 at their absolute peak I will take R9 every single time. R9s was passing defenders like nobody else that I have ever watched (with dribbles, speed or power) and was one of the best finisher in the game.

Reactions: cgf and gary69

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Even Mourinho (who was involved with Barcelona when El Fenomeno was playing there said the same thing). It's not like he did not know all the qualities of CR7 either as he is himself Portuguese and coached him at Real Mardrid.

Jose Mourinho Names The Best Player Of All Time - It's Not Cristiano Ronaldo Or Lionel Messi
From a talent standpoint I agree, there are few if any guys in the history of the sport that are more talented than him and CR7 isn't one. But in the end that doesn't really matter because CR7 utilized his talent better and in the end is the better player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
From a talent standpoint I agree, there are few if any guys in the history of the sport that are more talented than him and CR7 isn't one. But in the end that doesn't really matter because CR7 utilized his talent better and in the end is the better player.

He had the better career, but wasn't the better player.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That is also true, but it doesn't contradict my comment.
I guess it depends on how you're ranking your players. If I'm doing a list of the best players of all time there's 0 chance R9 is higher. If I'm doing most talented than that's another story.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess it depends on how you're ranking your players. If I'm doing a list of the best players of all time there's 0 chance R9 is higher. If I'm doing most talented than that's another story.

Depends if we're ranking them based on who you'd want for a single game in their prime, for their peak season, for their best 3-4 years, or for their careers on the whole.

Also on how much emphasis you put on productivity/output.

Reactions: gary69

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Depends if we're ranking them based on who you'd want for a single game in their prime, for their peak season, for their best 3-4 years, or for their careers on the whole.

Also on how much emphasis you put on productivity/output.
Also good points.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
R9 is Lindros if Lindros was loved by everyone instead of hated by 95% of hockey fans.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Comparison to Lindros is valid. Dominant for a few years.
Ronaldo though did perform good years without being at the peak.
But yeah.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
You make a compelling case, this forum is enriched by your presence...
Thanks! Sarcasm admits defeat, my son. No case was needed. Whether you like Federer, Maradona, Messi, Nadal, Novak, Pele, whoever, the athlete that you think has the best career in the sport is the best player in that sport in your opinion. Cogito, ergo sum. I stink, therefore I am.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks! Sarcasm admits defeat, my son. No case was needed. Whether you like Federer, Maradona, Messi, Nadal, Novak, Pele, whoever, the athlete that you think has the best career in the sport is the best player in that sport in your opinion. Cogito, ergo sum. I stink, therefore I am.

Simple minds like simple answers ;-)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Even Mourinho (who was involved with Barcelona when El Fenomeno was playing there said the same thing). It's not like he did not know all the qualities of CR7 either as he is himself Portuguese and coached him at Real Mardrid.

Jose Mourinho Names The Best Player Of All Time - It's Not Cristiano Ronaldo Or Lionel Messi
Interesting. I’m accustomed to people posting Mou opinions to prove how he’s a clueless schmuk out of touch with the game. Perhaps in this instance he’s a genius again. Until he puts out the next Roma lineup.

When I mentioned that at the time I felt R9 wasn’t even the best Brazilian of his era, I wasn't even thinking of Ronaldinho, but I prefer Ronaldinho over R9 as well.

So, I was wrong about only this forum ridiculously overrating R9 to levels I see nowhere else, it’s this forum and Jose Mourinho then.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Comparison to Lindros is valid. Dominant for a few years.
Ronaldo though did perform good years without being at the peak.
But yeah.

The Lindros comp makes some sense, but Ronaldo was still the best player in the sport even after his devastating injuries robbed him of his absolute peak. Like Lindros, he wasn't the same after his injuries, but he was still dominant.

Up to the injuries, I like the comp, but after the injuries Ronaldo was more Foppa than Lindros...if that difference makes any sense.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You'll find plenty of people ranking R9 in the top football players ever.
It is understandable. He reached peaks few ever reached.
But yes, his peak was too short IMO. Ronaldinho also had a great peak, but even shorter and with less efficiency.
People shouldn't look at goal totals. This was a different era where you didn't have superteams and it was actually tough to score. Not diminishing Ronaldo or Messi's totals, but they would never have scored that many goals in the mid 90s.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The Lindros comp makes some sense, but Ronaldo was still the best player in the sport even after his devastating injuries robbed him of his absolute peak. Like Lindros, he wasn't the same after his injuries, but he was still dominant.

Up to the injuries, I like the comp, but after the injuries Ronaldo was more Foppa than Lindros to me.
I agree with everything except he was still the best after his injuries. He wasn't. Zidane and others were better IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00