Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Messi and Pele were first choices for me. Then had to vote for old guys Di Stefano and Puskas, because there are pretty much no one close to them in terms of prestige and achievements in club football.

5th choice could have been a lot of players, and might be a different player on another date, but this time I voted for Platini over Cruyff.

Maradona was one of the most talented, but underachieved big time, especially at club level.

Reactions: Evilo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We have the exact same votes Gary.
And the same reasonning. I put Pele and Messi as easy picks. Then Di Stefano as sure thing. Then Platini and Puskas for me over Cruyff and Garrincha, and then Beckenbauer, and then C. Ronaldo and others.

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Baggio had an injury shortened career but he was still one of the best

Not arguing that you're wrong, but Fat Ronaldo is the GOAT in that short-but-fantastic-peak category...even over the likes of van Basten & Baggio...so I have a tough time voting for anyone using that logic other than Phenomeno; which got him into my top 5.

I voted Puskas, Messi, Franz, Phenomeno, & Gerd...but I should've included Pele over one of: Gerd / Puskas / Ronaldo, and di Stefano would've made my list had I seen more tapes of his growing up...but I didn't, so Gerd & Puskas took those spots.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi occupies the first 5 then maradona/ de stefano and Kempis/kun.

seriously tho messi is the most talented and the best in history. There really isn’t an argument for it otherwise.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes there is.
And I rank him no worse than top 2. But Pele can challenge anyone.
If Pele hasn't stayed his entire career in South America, we wouldn't even discuss it.
But since he did stay, Messi has a rightful challenge for GOAT. But in no way is it obvious.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes there is.
If Pele hasn't stayed his entire career in South America, we wouldn't even discuss it.
But since he did stay, Messi has a rightful challenge for GOAT. But in no way is it obvious.
I defer to great minds like wenger in these situations.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Messi and C.Ronaldo are clear tbh, and it’s honestly just plain wrong that the difference is so big in this lmao

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yes there is.

I often wondered why Pele didn't leave for Europe after WC 1962, maybe it was because of his injury? He was young, not married, no kids, was considered the best player in the world. Di Stefano and Puskas were getting up there agewise, nearing their last years with Real Madrid. Seems like it would have been the perfect surroundings to go into. Or if it was language issue for him, then Benfica was great at that time as well, even if the money in Portugal wouldn't have been as good. Copa Libertadores 1962 final was in September 1962, he easily could have moved after that.

I suppose Italy would have otherwise been an option, but the style of their club football must not have been that appealing for a player like Pele.

And with the military coup in Brazil in 1964, I would have thought Pele leaving for sure. After 1963, he had nothing new to win in Brazil and South America.

Even if Pele didn't win anything in club football after WC 1970 and and was a shadow of himself at the age of 30+, some top team in Europe surely would have wanted him after the WC. Although his global reputation probably would have suffered a lot more than it did, if he had played in Europe between 1970 -1974.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cristiano is one of the top five best players ever because showcasing your generational talent on the pitch is one thing, building your brand outside of it is another. He is the most followed person on Instagram, owns hotels, restaurants, a perfume line, and has a hair clinic in Lisbon. What does Pele or Messi have?

Reactions: cgf

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Cristiano is one of the top five best players ever because showcasing your generational talent on the pitch is one thing, building your brand outside of it is another. He is the most followed person on Instagram, owns hotels, restaurants, a perfume line, and has a hair clinic in Lisbon. What does Pele or Messi have?

Also worth remembering that Pele won World War 2.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This forum overrates R9 like no place I’ve ever seen.

Even the one crazy season in Inter…Messi and Cristiano have eclipsed that like 10,11,12 times in this era.

My opinion, even in that era was that he wasn’t even the best Brazilian player of his time.

I’d like to see someone post any historical ranking, from anywhere, from anyone, where R9 is ranked so highly as he is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad