Please rank these forwards by best career

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Look at the highest scoring seasons ever. They are all by centers. Coincidence? Every 150+ point season ever has been by a center. Coincidence? Like 7 out of the top 10 all time leaders in points are centers even though there are twice as many wingers as centers in the game. Coincidence?
No it's not the best players usually play center as it has more responsibility than playing the wing.

You really need to study the history of this game if you think "centers score more points than wingers" is a controversial statement.
It's not controversial centers are usually better players and drive play more right?

Also I know the history I'm a mid 50s lifetime student of the game.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As a Caps fan I reject this post.
As you should that was downright embarrassing.

Most hockey fans respect and appreciate both players as both are all time greats.

In an alternative universe HF Boards circa 1950s would have had a Richard is the best player ever because of goals and Howe and Beliveau sucked by a small vocal minority no doubt.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Yes. And after those 20 years one player is breaking records thought unbreakable whilst being a physical unicorn. The other is also really good and a true great but no significant records being broken. What Sid does best, many have done better. What Ovi does best, only one has done better.
Definitely the superior goal scorer. That's all that amounts too.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
lol dude give it a rest.

There is a 150 games difference to reach the « same amount » of points. That’s almost two full seasons.

This is a discussion of careers. You don’t get credit for missed seasons when discussing what you’ve accomplished in your career. You’re in the wrong thread. Your argument belongs in a “rank these players all time” thread. Not a “rank the careers of these players” thread.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
This is a discussion of careers. You don’t get credit for missed seasons when discussing what you’ve accomplished in your career. You’re in the wrong thread. Your argument belongs in a “rank these players all time” thread. Not a “rank the careers of these players” thread.
You are right to some point.

But you do get credit for achieving the same things in a much shorter period because that means your were more effective and more helpful to your team.

Bering more helpful to your team definitely has a say in the career of a player.

Reactions: Nfumass

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
You are right to some point.

But you do get credit for achieving the same things in a much shorter period because that means your were more effective and more helpful to your team.

Bering more helpful to your team definitely has a say in the career of a player.

But they started at the same time. You’re not helpful to your team if you’re not on the ice. And that’s before we start talking about the Pens having a better win % without Crosby than they do when he plays - another argument that should carry no weight in this thread as it’s immaterial to the discussion of who had the better career.

Think of it this way. McDavid plays 65 games and puts up 38+82 for 120 points (1.84ppg). Kucherov plays 82 and puts up 52+85 for 137 points (1.67 ppg).

Who’s getting the season awards? Obviously Kucherov because he clearly accomplished more during the season.

Who are you drafting 1 OA if you’re a GM based on this information? Kucherov no longer an obvious choice.

IMHO missed time matters in discussions of all time ranks. But missed time has no place in a discussion of “what did you accomplish in your career.” Because you accomplished nothing while not playing. (You don’t get penalized for it either in this discussion).

Reactions: Felidae

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Think of it this way. McDavid plays 65 games and puts up 38+82 for 120 points (1.84ppg). Kucherov plays 82 and puts up 52+85 for 137 points (1.67 ppg).

Who’s getting the season awards?
Art Ross would go to Kuch but Pearson would go to McD.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Art Ross would go to Kuch but Pearson would go to McD.

lol no it wouldn’t. The Hart wouldn’t be close either. The numbers were arbitrary anyway. You could say McD played 30 games and had 30+30 then got hurt. The point is the awards aren’t gonna reward players for stats they didn’t put up in a season due to missed time. And the discussion of who had the better career is an extrapolation of that concept.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I don’t care where you rank him, but it’s hilarious how salty you guys still are at Tavares for exercising his right.
Tavares is bottom 3 on almost every list, I guess everyone is salty??? Or just maybe that's where he belongs! On page alone he is at the bottom of five lists, 4/5 are NOT islander fans.

Last edited:

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I think OV's legacy might overtake Crosby if he can break the goal record.

It's not discounting Crosby at all, but the all-time goal leader would leave one hell of a legacy,.
No! Just No! Goalscoring by natural flow of the hard fought grind year in and out counts for more than just being in it to chase the record.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
lol no it wouldn’t. The Hart wouldn’t be close either. The numbers were arbitrary anyway. You could say McD played 30 games and had 30+30 then got hurt. The point is the awards aren’t gonna reward players for stats they didn’t put up in a season due to missed time. And the discussion of who had the better career is an extrapolation of that concept

It shows that even with Crosby having a better career and you don’t want to admit it for some reason. The only reason why OV is in the discussion is because of the goal record but in the end, even that might not be enough.

Two players play 1000 games. Both get 450g 550a. One played on a shitty team and was the main force of his team, the other played with multiple stars. Both great careers but they won’t be seen evenly. Why? Details matter.

Two players on great teams. One helps them win more cups then the other. He also plays about 150 less games then the other and has the same number of points.

They both have great careers but one career is still better then the other.

That said Crosby and OV still have some time to play. So not all has been written yet. But right now, Crosby has to be in front IMO.

Reactions: wetcoast

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
It shows that even with Crosby having a better career and you don’t want to admit it for some reason. The only reason why OV is in the discussion is because of the goal record but in the end, even that might not be enough.

Two players play 1000 games. Both get 450g 550a. One played on a shitty team and was the main force of his team, the other played with multiple stars. Both great careers but they won’t be seen evenly. Why? Details matter.

Two players on great teams. One helps them win more cups then the other. He also plays about 150 less games then the other and has the same number of points.

They both have great careers but one career is still better then the other.

That said Crosby and OV still have some time to play. So not all has been written yet. But right now, Crosby has to be in front IMO.

That’s not at all what it shows and you seem to be completely ignoring my point about the difference between comparing the careers of players and comparing where you’d draft them in a re-draft (a completely different subject and not the topic of this thread).

Which leads me to believe you’re uninterested in evidence that contradicts a conclusion upon which you had already decided. So probably won’t get anywhere.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's great but people are talking about what you are claiming here.

They are simply counting points and games played...you know things that actually happened.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
That’s not at all what it shows and you seem to be completely ignoring my point about the difference between comparing the careers of players and comparing where you’d draft them in a re-draft (a completely different subject and not the topic of this thread).

Which leads me to believe you’re uninterested in evidence that contradicts a conclusion upon which you had already decided. So probably won’t get anywhere.
lol alright, stay on your idea that you have evidence.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Please rank these forwards by best career.

Crosby
OV
Malkin
Kane
Kopitar
Stamkos
Pavelski
Giroux
Tavares
Backstrom

Crosby
Ovechkin

Malkin

Kane

Stamkos
Kopitar

Tavares
Backstrom
Giroux
Pavelski

Feel really good about the first 4, and the gap in between

Stamkos above Kopitar at first glance, but the opposite may be possible. Kind of close

The last 4 i tried my best but could be convinced to change order around

Reactions: sanscosm

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
In not too many years people will look back and see that ovie has the most goals scored in NHLs history. Most 30 goal seasons in NHL history. And they will have to struggle to find anything historic on crosby although hes good hes going to be remembered like a soft whiney version of forsberg.

• Haha

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
In not too many years people will look back and see that ovie has the most goals scored in NHLs history. Most 30 goal seasons in NHL history. And they will have to struggle to find anything historic on crosby although hes good hes going to be remembered like a soft whiney version of forsberg.

You know your credibility goes out the door when you say Sidney Fken Crosby is soft

The disrespect in this thread is insane

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
You know your credibility goes out the door when you say Sidney Fken Crosby is soft

The disrespect in this thread is insane
I rememeber him when he came to the league, he slewfot, hit people in the balls with his stick, whined to the ref like a little rat whenever possible.

What do u call that?

• Haha

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Kopitar > Malkin

all day.
pssssssssssssssst

lol

Malkin has played 228 less games AND still has 83 more points. I'm pretty sure if you can take 3 seasons off and still outscore someone by a full season point total, you've had a better career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad