Speculation: PLD Mega Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Scroll up a few posts. Jarmo offered PLD an 8 year deal which would have been the biggest contract in team history. PLD turned it down and took this 2 year deal.

Yes, and the 2-year contract was probably intentionally build cheap, with only 3,35M$ in the first year.

If you knew you were worth X sum, you would be pissed also to get paid only X/2.

I'm guessing there isn't a real problem in the team, it's just about money.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
You’re wrong. Centers > wingers
Sure the fact that he plays center adds to his value, but it doesn't overcome the fact that Connor's career scoring at a .807 PPG pace vs PLD at a .692 PPG. Even bigger separation when looking at career goal scoring: Connor, scoring .422 GPG vs PLD .278 GPG.

Last season, which is our best guess at the future Connors statistical advantage was even more dramatic as he scored 1.01 PPG vs PLD scoring at .700.

Connor scored 38 goals, PLD 18 goals(less than half).

Connor scored at a pace 44% higher than PLD last season on a PPG basis and over 100% on a GPG basis. Position alone doesn't come close to narrowing that gap enough to say "Oh just because PLD plays center hes more valuable than Connor".

I am a fan of neither team, unbiased Rangers fan. Connor has more value, period.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Yes, and the 2-year contract was probably intentionally build cheap, with only 3,35M$ in the first year.

If you knew you were worth X sum, you would be pissed also to get paid only X/2.

I'm guessing there isn't a real problem in the team, it's just about money.

what are you not understanding? PLD was offered 3 contracts and chose this one. He would have made $7 mil likely if he signed the 8 year deal.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Ye, but it still doesn't change the fact that nobody is getting paid over 5,875M$ cap.
I'm probably not following this thought far enough back but why does that matter? They did pay Bobrovsky around $7.5M AAV and chose not to re-sign him (which looks to be a very good move). I'm sure if a team like Toronto or the NYR maintained this level of contract that it would be amazing Cap management. Again, Columbus is one of 3 teams to make the playoffs for 4 years running. Columbus is more than willing to pay players as others have noted. Some simply don't want to play in Columbus. We'll eventually learn why with PLD if it comes to him moving on.

Reactions: Fro

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
what are you not understanding? PLD was offered 3 contracts and chose this one. He would have made $7 mil likely if he signed the 8 year deal.

The question is what does he think his value is? 9M?

I believe there is no real problem in the team, he just wanted more money than was offered, got angry and had to take the shortest contract possible.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The question is what does he think his value is? 9M?

I believe there is no real problem in the team, he just wanted more money than was offered, got angry and had to take the shortest contract possible.

there’s nothing at all that point to that, PLD, his agent, and Jarmo all said negotiations were smooth and professional.
If he thinks he’s worth $9M then I wish him luck with his next team.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
there’s nothing at all that point to that, PLD, his agent, and Jarmo all said negotiations were smooth and professional.
If he thinks he’s worth $9M then I wish him luck with his next team.

If I was PLD, I would be looking at contracts like Rantanen (~9M) and Marner (~11M). He is that good imo.

The thing is that markets are now horrible in players perspective. Plus CBJ had made it clear that even if there was an offer sheet, they would just immediately respond. No offersheets came, so time ran out and he just had to sign it.

Jarmo will always say everything goes smooth and professional. The only way it could have gone wrong is that PLD would have completely refused to sign and they knew that wasn't going to happen.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If I was PLD, I would be looking at contracts like Rantanen (~9M) and Marner (~11M). He is that good imo.

The thing is that markets are now horrible in players perspective. Plus CBJ had made it clear that even if there was an offer sheet, they would just immediately respond. No offersheets came, so time ran out and he just had to sign it.

Jarmo will always say everything goes smooth and professional. The only way it could have gone wrong is that PLD would have completely refused to sign and they knew that wasn't going to happen.
PLD has to have a season where he is scoring like a first line player before even dreaming about Rantanen or Marner money. Both of those players have proven that theyre top line players. PLD has not. Sure, he has the potential to get there but he has to prove that he can actually do it first.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Will see if torts gives domi enough rope to be the 2c. His defensive coverage leaves a lot to be desired and I am a huge domi fan .
He's likely to be paired with Foligno, who's the best defensive forward we have (and plays with a style not dissimilar to that of Andrew Shaw, who was alongside Domi when he put up that career year). I'm not too terribly worried.

* * *​
Would Kyle Connor from Winnipeg actually be a desired target? Someone mentioned him in the last thread. It would kind of make sense for Winnipeg, maybe. Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine and one of Perfetti/Vesalainen make up your top four wingers and Scheifele/Dubois is a hell of a 1-2 punch. Would be among the best top six out there, once Perfetti turns pro.
If we can't get the C we want and have to settle for a winger, he absolutely would be a very desirable target. I would be truly shocked if Winnipeg willingly parted company with him, though - especially with the Laine thing hanging over their head.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It’s like we’ve never been told we are a small market team and our city sucks before.
Well, we keep pushing back as though we somehow, like, matter, so clearly we have yet to know our place or something.

* * *​
He's been at it for the better part of 2 threads with his arrogant and condescending comments lol.
Who's "he"?

I mean, I frequently quietly assume folks repeating the same old debunked stuff over and over Do Not Do The Research and just bloviate, but it's always gratifying to see it confirmed that they won't even look half an inch to the left of a post to see a poster profile before they blather about their poor assumptions. :D

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Sure the fact that he plays center adds to his value, but it doesn't overcome the fact that Connor's career scoring at a .807 PPG pace vs PLD at a .692 PPG. Even bigger separation when looking at career goal scoring: Connor, scoring .422 GPG vs PLD .278 GPG.

Last season, which is our best guess at the future Connors statistical advantage was even more dramatic as he scored 1.01 PPG vs PLD scoring at .700.

Connor scored 38 goals, PLD 18 goals(less than half).

Connor scored at a pace 44% higher than PLD last season on a PPG basis and over 100% on a GPG basis. Position alone doesn't come close to narrowing that gap enough to say "Oh just because PLD plays center hes more valuable than Connor".

I am a fan of neither team, unbiased Rangers fan. Connor has more value, period.

There’s a pretty big difference in linemate quality, no? Dubois spent his year mostly playing with a combination of Atkinson, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand and Foligno. > 50% of Connor’s shifts were with Scheifele and Laine/Wheeler (Link).

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
There’s a pretty big difference in linemate quality, no? Dubois spent his year mostly playing with a combination of Atkinson, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand and Foligno. > 50% of Connor’s shifts were with Scheifele and Laine/Wheeler (Link).
I absolutely agree that he had that advantage this past season, but remember PLD played with Panarin for a season too and that clearly benefitted him(we saw the dropoff last year after Panarin left). - Using your site we can see he played over 50% of the time with Panarin(thanks for that link by the way, very cool site)

I personally still think statistically, the difference has been dramatic even considering the factor you mentioned. Connor is a proven top line player by his stats. PLD is definitely a 2C, but is he going to continue to develop into that 1C powerhouse that many believe he can be? I think it's tough to say that for certain based on statistics alone.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I absolutely agree that he had that advantage this past season, but remember PLD played with Panarin for a season too and that clearly benefitted him(we saw the dropoff last year after Panarin left). - Using your site we can see he played over 50% of the time with Panarin(thanks for that link by the way, very cool site)

I personally still think statistically, the difference has been dramatic even considering the factor you mentioned. Connor is a proven top line player by his stats. PLD is definitely a 2C, but is he going to continue to develop into that 1C powerhouse that many believe he can be? I think it's tough to say that for certain based on statistics alone.

When you factor in the shortened season, there really wasn't much dropoff at all.

Reactions: Viqsi

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
When you factor in the shortened season, there really wasn't much dropoff at all.

On a goal scoring basis it was more dramatic(even considering the shortened season). We've seen the breadman boost in New York as well with Strome this past season. The stats for PLD did drop off in in goal scoring and in total(to a lesser degree), I couldn't attest to how he looked based on the eye test but I can tell you for sure any linemate of Panarin on the NYR benefitted significantly on the eye test.

Didn't mean to disparage PLD by the way at all, was just saying from a comparison point of view he had one hell of a linemate in a previous season.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
On a goal scoring basis it was more dramatic(even considering the shortened season). We've seen the breadman boost in New York as well with Strome this past season. The stats for PLD did drop off in in goal scoring and in total(to a lesser degree), I couldn't attest to how he looked based on the eye test but I can tell you for sure any linemate of Panarin on the NYR benefitted significantly on the eye test.

Didn't mean to disparage PLD by the way at all, was just saying from a comparison point of view he had one hell of a linemate in a previous season.

I think that stat difference you're noting reflects PLD shifting to be the line driver instead of Panarin more than anything.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
PLD has to have a season where he is scoring like a first line player before even dreaming about Rantanen or Marner money. Both of those players have proven that theyre top line players. PLD has not. Sure, he has the potential to get there but he has to prove that he can actually do it first.
This. You get paid based on what you've done. And when you're a RFA on your first negation, you get paid what the market says your worth, not what you think your worth.

Reactions: Fro

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

I can't go as far as to say that Dubois scoring at a ~57 point pace (~46 at EV) is as impressive as Connor scoring at a ~84 point pace (~62 at EV), but the difference in roles (Dubois as a 1st option and Connor as perhaps a 3rd) does cut into that difference. Add in positional value and Dubois' upside, and you can see why some scoff at the idea.

If that was the deal, I'd say the Jackets did fine, mind you. Connor has a lot of term and the Jackets wouldn't be dealing from a position of strength.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
i don't get it, he just signed a 2 year extension...does he still want to get out of lumbiss

Yup. The idea seems to be that it's done as a way to facilitate a trade. From what I understand, Columbus can still control him for three years but there's no way that happens short of a change of heart on Dubois' part. He looks to be acting in good faith so I think anything over a season/off-season would probably piss him off. What a crappy situation for Columbus, though. They look to have a good thing going and now this.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
JUST MAKE A TRADE ALREADY IM BORED.

WJC is over and theres still a week to go until NHL hockey. Need something to spice up this downtime

Reactions: Aurinko

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Would Columbus fans consider this?

PLD for

Jake Sanderson - recent 5th overall pick, WJC gold medalist and son of former Columbus Blue Jacket Geoff Sanderson.
+
Colin White - Former first round pick, great rookie season, soft more slump looking great this training camp. He can help fill the void left at center, I know he isnt a #1 center yet but he has potential.
+
unprotected 1st round pick in 2021

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the rumor is true and he wants out because he wants to play in a bigger market, the 2 year deal @ $5M AAV works for both sides. Blues Jackets are in no rush to trade him and PLD is not the type to want to be a distraction. Can the situation change in the next year. Possible but it it don't, his AAV is low for a legit #1C IMO and he still has two more RFA controlled years after this current deal. Same situation as Laine when he signed his 2 year deal.

What about Laine for PLD straight up? Not sure if both players would want to sign long term in opposite cities and I'm guessing the Blue Jackets would want a center back in return? Jets would be happy with PLD I would imagine but they might be looking for a D if they trade Laine? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad