Playoffs Watch

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I think you more mean near-future/present...

Having an all-star 19 year old be your best skater and a vezina caliber goalie in his second year actually speaks volumes to a bright future. Just need to get some of the other pieces built which obviously points to the back-end. But they have another couple star caliber players to build around, that also give off the big game big time player vibe we have won with before. Happy about that, not sure why we wouldn't be.

It will be interesting to see how the bounce back from the Florida trip. It is the turnovers right now that are killing this team in my opinion. They just need to make less of them and I still think they can clean up that area a decent amount. Not to a degree that would be exceptional, but to a degree it doesn't hurt us night in and night out.

Right you are, it was not worded well but you got where I was coming from.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit Red Wings Playoff Chances
Did not play, playoff odds up 2.1 to 75.5%
62 points 27 18-8

Thanks to the Kings!

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Still a very tight race, 1 pt up on BOS who has a game in hand, 3 pts up on TB who has 2 games in hand.

DET has a negative goal diff, far lower than both of those teams. Still sitting at 77.4% of making the playoffs, lower than BOS & TB who are 80% and 85.1% respectively.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Devils lose in regulation. Thanks Islanders.

Its a shame we need to rely on other teams for us to limp into the playoffs yet again. Need to finish at worst with the wildcard 1 spot to have a legitimate chance at any sort of playoff run whatsoever. Wildcard 2 are gonna get dusted by the Caps.

Also, It looks like Philly and Carolina are legitimate threats. Both are playing good hockey right now.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Its a shame we need to rely on other teams for us to limp into the playoffs yet again. Need to finish at worst with the wildcard 1 spot to have a legitimate chance at any sort of playoff run whatsoever. Wildcard 2 are gonna get dusted by the Caps.

Also, It looks like Philly and Carolina are legitimate threats. Both are playing good hockey right now.

I don't think that's the case. The Wings are still firmly in control of their own destiny.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

No its not. There's a whole group of teams all fighting for the same playoff spots. 3rd to 10th is separated by 5 points. Those 8 teams are ALL going to lose games between now and the end of the season. If we lose less games than at least 2 of them, we're in the playoffs.

That's not "relying on other teams" THAT'S US BEING BETTER THAN THOSE TEAMS!!!!

Honestly, the ability of this board to twist everything into a negative and a way to criticise the team drives me ****ing insane :rant:

Oh, and Wildcard 2 will get dusted by the Caps? Just like we dusted the Oilers in 06....?

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
We have 23 games left of the season...

• 35% (eight) of those games are against the top 10 teams right now (and four out of these eight games are against top 5 teams)

• 26% (six) are against 11-20 placed teams

• 39% (nine) are against bottom 10 teams (and seven out of these nine games are against bottom five teams)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • We have four b2b games left (of which three are in our final seven games if the season :amazed:)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Eight games left against Atlantic teams, nine against Metro teams, six against Central teams and 0 against Pacific teams

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Those two are currently the best players on the team. Can't feel too confident in the future when a rookie and sophomore goalie are the best players

What's that?

You can't feel good about the future when the best players you have are the ones that should feasibly be here the longest?

it's actually the reverse. You can't like the present when a 19 year old rookie is your best player but you should love the hell out of the future.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I am rooting against Montreal tonight because its Montreal. and really Cbus are the Detroit Lions of the NHL. So Boston has a free win.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think you more mean near-future/present...

Having an all-star 19 year old be your best skater and a vezina caliber goalie in his second year actually speaks volumes to a bright future. Just need to get some of the other pieces built which obviously points to the back-end. But they have another couple star caliber players to build around, that also give off the big game big time player vibe we have won with before. Happy about that, not sure why we wouldn't be.

It will be interesting to see how the bounce back from the Florida trip. It is the turnovers right now that are killing this team in my opinion. They just need to make less of them and I still think they can clean up that area a decent amount. Not to a degree that would be exceptional, but to a degree it doesn't hurt us night in and night out.

Mrazek is great and all, but a goalie being your 2nd best building block isn't the best thing in my opinion.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If New Jersey makes a trade for some offense, i would be very worried about Detroit missing the playoffs. If they don't, there is no doubt in my mind the Wings make the playoffs for the 25th consecutive season.

Carolina doesn't concern me at all.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Make or miss the playoffs ill be happy honestly.

Ideally I would like to see the Wings in the playoffs again, but if they miss there are definitely worse things than having the highest draft pick the Wings have had in 20 years or so.

I see it as a win/win personally. A top 10-15 pick would be like a lottery pick for the Wings compared to what they are used to.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Make or miss the playoffs ill be happy honestly.

Ideally I would like to see the Wings in the playoffs again, but if they miss there are definitely worse things than having the highest draft pick the Wings have had in 20 years or so.

I see it as a win/win personally. A top 10-15 pick would be like a lottery pick for the Wings compared to what they are used to.

Funniest thing would be missing the playoffs and winning the whole draft lottery. :naughty: Even a second pick and get Laine.

But I still like to get to playoffs. I like our team to play and compete with the best with the best possible roster after this 82-game cap-games/mind-games pre-season called a regular season.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Mrazek is great and all, but a goalie being your 2nd best building block isn't the best thing in my opinion.

:amazed: in Today NHL the goalie in the star of the game. If you cant depend on your goalie your either Chicago or not in the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
:amazed: in Today NHL the goalie in the star of the game. If you cant depend on your goalie your either Chicago or not in the playoffs.

Not that hard to depend on your goalie when they are playing in front of a great defense/team. Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis are making it work just fine with Crawford, Elliot, Niemi. You don't need a star goalie.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Not that hard to depend on your goalie when they are playing in front of a great defense/team. Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis are making it work just fine with Crawford, Elliot, Niemi. You don't need a star goalie.

So three teams one a cup contender. :popcorn:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you can't build the perfect team, you do your best with what you've got.

Rangers have done alright with a goalie as their MVP. Carey Price has been the difference between Montreal being a contender or not being a playoff team. Boston won the Cup on the back of Tim Thomas being insane. Jonathan Quick is a very important building block for LA too.

Ok... Rangers had the best goalie in the league for awhile, and it got them what?
More than Dallas and St.Louis, that's for sure.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you can't build the perfect team, you do your best with what you've got.

Rangers have done alright with a goalie as their MVP. Carey Price has been the difference between Montreal being a contender or not being a playoff team. Boston won the Cup on the back of Tim Thomas being insane. Jonathan Quick is a very important building block for LA too.

I don't disagree with you here. I just am skeptical of what is going to be playing in front of him. And the inconsistent nature of goalies on a year-to-year basis.

Price has Subban. Quick has Doughty. Thomas had Chara. Mrazek has nothing close to those guys, and nothing close to that in out pipeline either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad