GDT: Playoffs 2022 WCQF Game 3 | Preds vs Avalanche 5/7 330PM Dont Stop Believing Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It's hard to draft elite talent outside of the top 10. We have been just good enough not draft that high. I have said multiple times we need better scouting, to find those hidden gems.
Most early picks are in accordance with central scouting. The later picks are where teams deviate and go with internal scouts. Erat, Rinne, Skrastins, Hornqvist … yeah, about our scouting.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The argument that we have to draft in the top 10 or 15 ignores that we have a guy drafted 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 11th, and 15th overall already on the roster today. And our best player was drafted in the 2nd round.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The argument that we have to draft in the top 10 or 15 ignores that we have a guy drafted 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 11th, and 15th overall already on the roster today. And our best player was drafted in the 2nd round.

I don’t think the argument is that top 10 guarantees success. The argument is that the path to success typically involves having elite forward talent that is most often only found at the top of the draft.

I can’t think of too many Stanley cup teams in the last 10-20 years that lacked top forward talent drafted at the top of the draft. St. Louis and the kings maybe?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

Nobody expected Josi to be the best player when picked in 2008. Nobody thought about that while Weber was here ... yet another player nobody viewed as the potential best player when he was picked in the 2nd round ... the third player we picked that round.

sure fire, near elite players tend to come from the top 3-5 picks . Great players are found later but they are the exception.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don’t think the argument is that top 10 guarantees success. The argument is that the path to success typically involves having elite forward talent that is most often only found at the top of the draft.

I can’t think of too many Stanley cup teams in the last 10-20 years that lacked top forward talent drafted at the top of the draft. St. Louis and the kings maybe?
Oddly enough the biggest reason Tampa has won was because of guys not at the top of the draft. I think Hedman and Stamkos were but Stamkos hasn't even played for alot of those runs.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Oddly enough the biggest reason Tampa has won was because of guys not at the top of the draft. I think Hedman and Stamkos were but Stamkos hasn't even played for alot of those runs.
Insert sports is cyclical and this is how it always is post. Tampa sucked for years after their cup run they drafted well. That's what it takes. Solid core of a couple guys and some goaltending fairy dust.

Aardvarksson

gif spammer
Apr 21, 2017
Nashville
It's hard to draft elite talent outside of the top 10. We have been just good enough not draft that high. I have said multiple times we need better scouting, to find those hidden gems.
Being stuck inbetween is the worst. Good enough to make the playoffs every year, but always end up the bridesmaid. Minnesota too, then they lucked into Kaprizov. We'll see what they do this time.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm pretty sure you were a Senators fan at one point.
And you would be wrong. Initially I was a Flyers fan in the mid 70’s. Then I pulled for Edmonton for a number of years. It took a while for the Preds to grow on me even though I held full season tickets starting in 98. The couple years prior to 98 I began following Tampa because of a couple players. Then I had blinders on for about 10 years all Preds. Traveling to Colorado to see Preds games and how well we were treated as visitors got me to following them. Buffalo was all Rick Jenrette who is the best play by play guy the league has ever had. That the entirety of who I have paid the most attention too. The Sens have never been on the radar. The years of blinders in for the Preds did cloud my view of the game. I fell into the behavior many here still experience. Seeing more in players than they were actually worth. What turned my eyes was Weber. I assure you I was the first on HF that wanted to trade him. And caught hell for that. I was also the first to say Jodi was going to be better than Shea was which has come to pass. I started to enjoy the Lightning by watching the triplets before Marty and Vinny left. My all time favorite player has been Sully followed by Kucherov. My the players I not liked other than any redwing has been Craig Smith and Corey Perry who I have had to endure this year.

The way Poile had structured this team over the years has been the teams biggest issue. The coaching hires after Trotz made no sense either. Lavi was 180 degrees from Trotz meaning the team had to be gutted to allow Lavi’s system, that’s a negitive something Edmonton has done the last 20 years. Hynes system is not much different than Lavi except he wants competent defense. For the most part Hynes has not had that.
As to my getting called names when I do post here I can care less, heck I have had a poster here threaten me with physical violence, that say enough about why I do not post much anymore here. But when two of the teams I do follow are playing a series in the playoffs I am compelled to add opinion. I have not trolled in bragging about Colorados play and until now have said nothing about them. I was hoping this to be a good series but the Preds are not playing there best hockey which would be needed for these games to be interesting. Since the 1st period of game one there has been no doubt the better team. The frustration is that Poile will not do what is needed for this team burn it down for a couple years and build back. This team needs to pick top 5 for a couple years for forwards. But that’s not going to happen. I feel for Josi and Ekholm. Unless those two are moved they will not be on a contending team.

Now I am not just critical of the Preds I have been critical of Tampa this year as well who made some stupid decisions in the off-season relying one rookies who have failed. They moved the wrong CAP outdestroyed there 3rd line that’s been a boat anchor. Traded two firsts and a player for Hagel who has been garbage. Like the Preds the Bolts will be going out in the first round. And fans are losing there minds because on paper they should have been a threat to threepeat. The same with the Preds on paper preseason they should have been better. But paper and many stats people spout are worthless.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I dare you to find one post from someone before the season that said Tolvanen and Tomasino would lead the Preds to the "promise land" (in which I'm guessing you mean the SC or at least conference finals).

Tolvanen was a disappointment this year, but Tomasino had a good year. I'm still pumped for him. Considering the minutes he got and his linemates for parts of the season he had a productive year. All indications still lead to him being a top 6 player. Jeannot had a great year. He'll be 25 later this month. Tomasino will be 21 later this summer. There point totals weren't far off though obviously are different players. Not a good comparison.
I will not go back to read preseason stuff but I do recall both those guys being touted as 20 plus goal scorers. I was not part of the conversation there but it was discussion about covering goals lost from Arvy. The thing about young players they have to play with better players. You have to admit that did not happen for the most part for these two. Impact players can not be impactful with 3rd or 4th line talent and minutes. Both these guys look to have the skills but short on line mates. I was really high on Kunin but he has failed. While Duchene has rebounded Johansson has still been the guy that takes shifts off.
The off-season is coming and Poile is going to Poile. If FF9 resigns I will be surprised. If he does the numbers are going to be regretful. I’m sure many will say he is worth 9 mil he’s not.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I thought Glass looked pretty solid. I would surround him with some more talent next game and see what he's truly made of. Trenin also could use more minutes.

Forsberg - Glass - Duchene
Trenin - Johansen - Tomasino
Granlund - Sissons - Tolvanen
Cousins - McCarron - Kunin

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I thought Glass looked pretty solid. I would surround him with some more talent next game and see what he's truly made of. Trenin also could use more minutes.

Forsberg - Glass - Duchene
Trenin - Johansen - Tomasino
Granlund - Sissons - Tolvanen
Cousins - McCarron - Kunin
You sitting Jeannot or did he get hurt and I not know it?

Reactions: Scoresberg

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Nobody expected Josi to be the best player when picked in 2008. Nobody thought about that while Weber was here ... yet another player nobody viewed as the potential best player when he was picked in the 2nd round ... the third player we picked that round.

sure fire, near elite players tend to come from the top 3-5 picks . Great players are found later but they are the exception.
Sure. That just speaks to the need to overhaul our scouting department. :sarcasm:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

Those draft picks listed are literally all forwards.

Other than a "not invented here" bias, why try to have it both ways? Fact is we already have top 10 pick forwards. We did not draft them. We have them anyway.

Whether someone likes those players or thinks they suck is an opinion and this post isn't meant to sway that opinion. Regardless it does not change where these guys were drafted.

PS: I think there is a bias towards the superstars on a roster. We're not a Cup contender this year, but every time I watch a national telecast with the Preds, the commentators gush praise for Roman Josi, Matt Duchene, etc. Those are the faces of the franchise and they get the headlines.

On the other hand, winning a Cup is more about a team in my opinion. You have to have depth and be able to roll lines and have decent defensive pairings that don't give up goals consistently. Not to mention a goalie on a hot streak in the playoffs may be the most important aspect of all. Take Vegas. They overhauled a deep roster of non-stars that played an aggressive style that really worked well for them, and turned it into a team with some highly paid (super)stars. They gutted their depth. A few injuries later, they are playing golf and not in the playoffs...

At any rate, there is more than one way to get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’m going to restate this in a different way….

Just because you have a top 10 pick doesn’t mean you are guaranteed elite talent. It just means you had a top 10 pick. However, it is clear that the primary path to elite forward talent is via a top pick. You can hit the lottery later but that’s exactly why it’s called a lottery. And Poile has never hit that lottery on elite forward talent.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Isn’t that kinda misleading those guys may be on the roster but they were not drafted by Poile with the exception of Fabbro.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Isn’t that kinda misleading those guys may be on the roster but they were not drafted by Poile with the exception of Fabbro.
This part of the discussion was not about who drafted them. It was about top 10 talent.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I’m going to restate this in a different way….

Just because you have a top 10 pick doesn’t mean you are guaranteed elite talent. It just means you had a top 10 pick. However, it is clear that the primary path to elite forward talent is via a top pick. You can hit the lottery later but that’s exactly why it’s called a lottery. And Poile has never hit that lottery on elite forward talent.
I hear you. I agree that one has effectively no chance at drafting a Crosby or McDavid if they don't win the lottery. Anyone would say having a generational platinum superstar on the team is a good thing.

The debate is really about the pedaling of the "common wisdom" that the only way to build a contender is by tanking and getting lots and lots of lottery picks. That advice is repeated everywhere—it's almost a kneejerk reaction and some sort of soothing pablum to feed fans of struggling teams—but there are some serious flaws in the argument. I'm not going to restate all the holes that can be poked in the assumptions, but they are there.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This part of the discussion was not about who drafted them. It was about top 10 talent.
In a way it does some GM’s make the right picks others tend to go with BPA what Poile has always done. But your right there’s no guarantee even in top 5 of an immediate impact elite talent. Take McKinnion for example took him three years and Colorado getting rid of Duchene for him to light it up. The year that we got Jones I have to admit I was wrong about Barlow when it comes to talent. There were mixed reviews on him from the Euro talking heads. The one thing I was correct about was the amount of time he spends on the IR. But when he’s on the ice he’s money perhaps the best latter bodied center in the league.

It is critical to draft correctly for team need also, and hope they develop because any pick past 5 is a crap shoot most years. Chicago hit gold with Towes and Kane and friends but this current downturn not so much.
Drafting alone will not get the Preds where they need to be.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Most early picks are in accordance with central scouting. The later picks are where teams deviate and go with internal scouts. Erat, Rinne, Skrastins, Hornqvist … yeah, about our scouting.
That isn't a long list.

Drouin netted them Sergachev

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If we end up losing tomorrow night, I'll admit I don't envy Poile's position heading into the off season.

If you had told me Saros would have a Vezina worthy season, Duchene and Forsberg would each have 40+ goals and Josi would tally 95 and we would have a top 5 rookie is scoring I would've said we easily make the playoffs and make it out of the first round.

But that isn't what has happened. We barely made the playoffs, look like we are going to get swept in the first round and Hynes looks completely incapable of making on the fly changes.

If it were up to me, I'd fire/not being back Hynes. I know that may not be a popular decision, but I just don't get a good feeling with that guy behind the bench.

From there I guess continue the competitive rebuild.

Reactions: hockey diva and You

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
That isn't a long list.
Just how many players from each draft class do you think make the team long term? Of those, how many are early round picks that pretty much follow central scouting vs those later that are based on team scouts?

7 draft slots per year .... with rapidly diminishing probability of ever playing 100 NHL games with each round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad