Injury Report: Playoffs 2014

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I would say the common denominator in the Sharks' losses have come down to having an inferior defensive corps.

In 2007:
Rivet-Mclaren
Vlasic-Hannan
Carle-Ehrhoff
Murray

In 2008:
Vlasic-Campbell
Rivet-Ehrhoff
Murray-Carle
Semenov
Mclaren

In 2009:
Lukowich-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Murray-Ehrhoff
Semenov

In 2010:
Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Huskins-Demers
Wallin

In 2011:
Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Ian White
Wallin-Demers
Huskins

In 2012:
Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Colin White-Braun

In 2013:
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle
Hannan-Stuart
Demers

2007 and 2008 was just a lot of inexperience (not to take away from how Ehrhoff or Vlasic played), but 2009-2011 looked very strong. In 2012, with Murray and Boyle both starting the decline, and yes, the defense was poor. That carried over to 2013, though Hannan-Stuart were great in the playoffs whilst Braun made a transformation that year itself.

The most glaring holes come from the third pairing. That's like complaining about about the third and fourth lines. It might help you come out on top in a 7-game-series, but it isn't going to reverse a sweep or change the outcome of a six-game series.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
2010 was a strong D-Core? What about 2011?

In 2009, that D-Core was good. Only year you can really say that. They were just really inexperienced and ran into a great team. We also had no scoring depth. The Ducks also had Pronger and Niedermayer...can't remember the rest of their defense either.

In 2010, Murray was awful against the Hawks, as was Blake. Both of those guys had pretty much proven that they were too slow to play top-4 in the new NHL, especially against this ridiculously fast Hawks club. Demers was a rookie who was prone to even more mistakes than he is now, and also wasn't the offensive threat he is now. Wallin and Huskins didn't belong in the NHL.

In 2011, Ian white was a marginal top-4 defenseman and Murray and Wallin didn't belong in the NHL while Demers was playing inconsistent as ever...Nucks had Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Edler, Mitchell can't remember the rest but they were better than our guys.

So, yeah. We has average to below average defenses and lost twice in the WCF to teams who had better defenses. Sounds like it's been a common factor to me, I don't know what to tell you. I really feel like you just have a biased point of view on things

Oh, and your view on the third pairing is absolutely laughable. Your bias is incredibly apparent at this point. You don't think that having Leddy and Oduya on the bottom pairing is going to make a difference compared to having Wallin and Huskins? Games are each played 1 by 1, and having two mobile 2nd pairing guys on the 3rd pairing as opposed to 2 pylons on the 3rd pairing could legitimately be the difference between winning in a sweep and losing in a sweep. To suggest that the bottom pairing doesn't matter is just moving the goal posts at this point.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The only year that the D core was strong was 2009 and the team was far too injured going into that playoff year and went against a bad matchup. Every year after and before, the D core has not been anywhere near good enough. Murray was never a quality top four d-man let alone on a Cup contending team and the defense of his pairing with Boyle was always poor for the competition faced.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
People underrating how good Wallin was for us during those runs. And Demers wasn't inconsistent. He was injured in half the WCSF and all of the WCF.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People underrating how good Wallin was for us during those runs. And Demers wasn't inconsistent. He was injured in half the WCSF and all of the WCF.

He would be underrated if it was said that he was a poor man's Alexei Semenov. However, he was not good in teal...at all.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Rivet was a beast in teal. Gave us some of the best hockey of his career, but damn did he die with the Buffalo.

My best memory of Rivet was him skating off the ice after a loss past Cheechoo and yelling (loud enough to hear it on the mic's) "Is that it? Are you ****ing done??"

Cheechoo just lowered his head in shame.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
My best memory of Rivet was him skating off the ice after a loss past Cheechoo and yelling (loud enough to hear it on the mic's) "Is that it? Are you ****ing done??"

Cheechoo just lowered his head in shame.

Craig Rivet was awesome.

:laugh:

He was king of the ring for us as well that year. I've never seen so many clear cut KO's. :yo: Yeah, i like fighting in hockey (when it's legitimately in the heat of the moment.)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I remember him beating the brakes off Steve Ott and Alex Burrows. He also had a great year.

5 goals, 30 assists and 104 pims.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
rangers are done, i would have thought they would have won game 3 as i picked the kings in 5 or 6. Looks like a sweep!

Then NO MORE NHL HOCKEY TILL TRAINING CAMP.

Yah, I don't get how anyone in their right mind thought the Rangers had a chance. They had no chance, none, the Kings won the cup as soon as they beat Chicago.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Eh if we won the next game, people would be taking about Couture's leadership.

It's just a fight, get over it. Hindsight is 20/20.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It was over for fans but after Richards trying to spear Couture earlier in the series, I didn't mind it. Sucks he hurt his hand but inherent risks of fighting.

And with a game seven certain, that was a risk he shouldn't have taken. That's a selfish reason to fight someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad