Injury Report: Playoffs 2014

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
And with a game seven certain, that was a risk he shouldn't have taken. That's a selfish reason to fight someone.

Well we can debate this all night. He saw an opportunity to send a message to his teammates and to stand up against a guy who has taken a few cheap runs at him, in my opinion. It was his second NHL fight, so its not like he will be doing this very often.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well we can debate this all night. He saw an opportunity to send a message to his teammates and to stand up against a guy who has taken a few cheap runs at him, in my opinion. It was his second NHL fight, so its not like he will be doing this very often.

Sending a message with a fight does not work often enough to be a proven method of motivation. Standing up for yourself in that manner for a few cheap runs is selfish at the end of the day. You get back by winning on the scoreboard like they were saying with responding to what they did to Hertl to start the series. Picking your spots is crucial for a guy like Couture just because it's his hands putting pucks in nets that makes him money and is what the team relies on him for. That is part of getting away from the gameplan because you allowed them to get you off your game thinking about that stuff.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We've been setting double standards for heart and leadership, then judging based on the outcome for years. Couture did nothing Thornton and Marleau haven't done in the playoffs, but he injured his hand. The former made a bad decision, but should earn a leadership role next year. The latter should be stripped of their's because they don't have the guts.

I don't even know what to think any more.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We've been setting double standards for heart and leadership, then judging based on the outcome for years. Couture did nothing Thornton and Marleau haven't done in the playoffs, but he injured his hand. The former made a bad decision, but should earn a leadership role next year. The latter should be stripped of their's because they don't have the guts.

I don't even know what to think any more.

Marleau doing it when he did was selfish too. Thornton's was actually acceptable. It's about context and when a guy does it is important to whether it is effective or not.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The series should've been over by the time Couture got in that fight anyway. Pretty much everyone on the team is to blame for this debacle.

JayP812

The Team of Tomorrow
Aug 16, 2010
Bay Area
Does it concern anybody else that Couture has had two hand surgeries in six months? Hands are fragile, no matter how old you are.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Does it concern anybody else that Couture has had two hand surgeries in six months? Hands are fragile, no matter how old you are.

Just makes me sadder we have no one who can replace Marleau or Thornton in terms of being absolute tanks in terms of injuries.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
****ing piece of **** went and broke his hand fighting a scrub when we had another game to play.

Well, Richards speared him blatantly a few games back when their game was out of reach, and the game they fought was certainly over and out of hand, so a bit of payback was coming. Just surprised Couture decided to do it himself.

Strange that like Joe Thornton's wrist, they chose not to include Couture's injury in the injury report.

Torres and Vlasic were no brainers to include in the report as everyone knew they were hurt. Hertl it could be assumed was not back to 100%, but played well.

Burns thumb kind of explains his poor shot. Not why his icetime was cut so badly in game 6 though

Pavelski's shoulder injury which required surgery gives him a bit of an excuse for his awful faceoffs in the last 3 games.

Never saw Marleau favoring his wrist or acting like he had a torn oblique.

Demers foot fracture. He played like a dunce after Vlasic went down. I guess the pain and hit to his mobility might have affected his judgment.

But why omit Thornton and Couture?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks...s-vlasic-injury-update-and-thoughts-on-kings/

Update on Vlasic.

Head is clear and knee needs a little more rest. He'll be good to go at camp.

Daaamn Pickles. That was a good interview. This further reiterates my Pickles for Captain campaign.

Also if you've never been taught to really throw a punch, you're really likely to get a boxer fracture.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sheppard scored. What's the point of Couture.

Horrible argument. The argument in favor of enforcers like Mike Brown is for the "protection" of stars like Couture. If Brown couldn't protect Couture (ie stop him from getting hurt), then what's the point of Brown?

You can't seriously think that's analogous.

IMHO there's a huge difference between the Marleau-Bieksa fight and the Couture-Richards fight.

1. When Marleau fought, it was a one goal game in the 2nd period. There is a legitimate argument that his fight could have swung momentum, if you believe in that sort of thing. Couture's was in garbage time. It wasn't doing anything.

2. When Marleau fought, even though the Sharks lost that game (due to ****ing Ben Eager), he came out and scored 3 points in the following game to back it up. Couture did jack-all in Game 7.

3. Bieksa was absolutely destroying us in that series (as Marleau was Vancouver) so it was a fair trade. Couture is a hundred times better than Richards and Richards was essentially a 4th liner in that game. That's like if Andrew Desjardins managed to take Anze Kopitar off the ice for 5 minutes.

I don't care that Richards speared Couture. Richards won by goading Couture into fighting and hurting himself and rendering himself ineffective for the next game. If Richards could get under Couture's skin like that, it doesn't say much about Couture's character.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

I have a feeling they may have just done a partial reconstruction during the season so that it would heal in time for playoffs and now that the season is over the through with the full procedure. Just a guess.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Couture doesn't make up the entire team. Damned if he got himself injured but his injury doesn't mean they should have still lost that series. All the 'what if's,' the series is over and he had a successful surgery. Just move on from it.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
It sucks that Logan injuried himself but I'm glad that he stood up to Richards. I agree that he could've done more damage by scoring but I don't agree that he shouldn't have stood up for himself. One of the reason I think he should be part of the "new leadership" next season is for that exact point. He wasn't going to be pushed around. The series was already slipping away and it shouldn't have even gotten to that point. No one else was being a teammate and he took matters into his own hands (no pun intended). He tried to stand up for himself and spark his team. I won't fault him for that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It sucks that Logan injuried himself but I'm glad that he stood up to Richards. I agree that he could've done more damage by scoring but I don't agree that he shouldn't have stood up for himself. One of the reason I think he should be part of the "new leadership" next season is for that exact point. He wasn't going to be pushed around. The series was already slipping away and it shouldn't have even gotten to that point. No one else was being a teammate and he took matters into his own hands (no pun intended). He tried to stand up for himself and spark his team. I won't fault him for that.

God, this is ****ing hilarious. Breaking your hand on a 4th liner's face in a game that was already over is considered leadership.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
The in season surgery was when he was playing his best hockey. He had the surgery because he wanted to be in prime shape for the Olympics. Oops

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I would fault him for it because the things that the players were admitting with regards to getting away from the gameplan, this is a perfect example of that. He allowed Richards and the way things were going to get him off his game. That's not good leadership and fighting at the end of a game that was already decided is not going to spark the team. It was done out of frustration and that shows a lack of mental toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad