Speculation: Players more likely to be scooped up by Seattle

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There’s not even a concept of ‘pick order’ in a one team expansion draft. They’re not picking against any other club and not having to prioritize most demanded players as early picks. They’re just submitting a list of the 30 players they take, one per team, to the league. The order means nothing. Calvin Pickard was not the priority pick of the Vegas expansion draft even though he’s the first listed on the published result. Because sequence meant nothing when every team (this time, Vegas excepted) loses exactly one player.

the last time it was relevant what order players were picked in was the last time two expansion teams were drafting at the same time and had to prioritize the players they wanted to grab before the other team did.
I can't remember how it worked with Vegas or if the process has changed. Does bolded above mean:

List of available players are made known. Seattle then has x amount of time to review list and make side deals. Once they've done that, they submit the whole list to the League at once and then it's a done deal?

Or is it like a draft in that Seattle picks a player from a Team A and then has a certain amount of time to pick a player from Team B after they've considered the impact on the rest of their picks/needs and any potential trade talks?

I honestly can't remember how it works.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It’ll be interesting to see if Seattle takes the same approach as Vegas.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I can't remember how it worked with Vegas or if the process has changed. Does bolded above mean:

List of available players are made known. Seattle then has x amount of time to review list and make side deals. Once they've done that, they submit the whole list to the League at once and then it's a done deal?

Or is it like a draft in that Seattle picks a player from a Team A and then has a certain amount of time to pick a player from Team B after they've considered the impact on the rest of their picks/needs and any potential trade talks?

For Vegas, it was essentially the first one. Every other team submitted their list of protected players by June 17, Vegas got a couple of days to review and make their choices, and the official results were announced at the awards show on June 21.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
EJ has no reason to waive, and considering Landeskog will be looking at a 9M$ / + contracr, that 2M$ in dead cap space for 4 years may be usefull actually
Any team that pays Landeskog 9 million will regret it. He is not good enough for 9 million in this market

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

It’s like the first one of those. It’s just like the Vegas draft, except that this time Vegas already exists but cannot lose a player. The same 30 teams Vegas picked from, Seattle will pick from.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
For Vegas, it was essentially the first one. Every other team submitted their list of protected players by June 17, Vegas got a couple of days to review and make their choices, and the official results were announced at the awards show on June 21.
Thanks!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It’s like the first one of those. It’s just like the Vegas draft, except that this time Vegas already exists but cannot lose a player. The same 30 teams Vegas picked from, Seattle will pick from.
Thanks as well!:thumbu:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
they may go Kerfoot, as forwards/centers are slim pickings, and Kerfoot is much better than his numbers indicate, and he is signed to a good cap hit, can play in the top 6, the PP, and PK
...Engvall tops out as a #3C

What are the Leafs willing to give up to move a player making 1m too much in a flat cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad