Speculation: Players more likely to be scooped up by Seattle

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It's still very early but always fun to speculate. There will be many changes to line-ups between now and the expansion draft, but with the trade deadline having passed we can at least have a rough idea of who could be available. So who do you see has a high likelyhood of being picked by Seattle right now? I'm making a rough draft just for the heck of it, with the most obvious names available right now

ANA - Haydn Fleury
ARZ - Adin Hill
BOS - Jakub Zboril
BUF - Colin Miller
CGY - Mark Giordano? they have 4 good defensemen
CAR - Brady Skjei
CHI - Alexander Nylander
COL - Devon Toews? Erik Johnson has a NMC
CBJ - Eric Robinson
DAL - Jason Dickinson
DET - Vladislav Namestnikov
EDM - Caleb Jones
FLA - Frank Vatrano
LA - Sean Walker
MIN - Jordan Greenway? I'm guessing they protect 4 defensemen
MTL - Jake Allen
NSH - Ryan Johansen? I'm guessing they protect 4 defensemen
NJ - Nathan Bastian
NYI - Kieffer Bellows
NYR - Julien Gauthier
OTT - Logan Brown? though they may make Matt Murray available and have other young goalies too
PHI - Jakub Voracek
PIT - Teddy Blueger
SJ - Radim Simek
STL - Vince Dunn? they'll also have some interesting forwards like Sanford, Blais, Barbashev
TB - Alex Killorn? they could also pick a D like Foote, McDonagh or Cernak
TOR - Justin Holl or Travis Dermott
VAN - Braden Holtby
WSH - Vitek Vanecek? they could also go with a D like Dillon, TVR, Jensen or Kempny
WIN - Jansen Harkins/Mason Appleton, Sami Niku or Mikhail Berdin, depending on position of need

What do you guys think?

One thing is for sure, they'll have plenty of chances to build a great D and have some solid goaltenders right off the bat. Forwards could be a little more complicated, but with a few trades and free agent signings, they could actually build a good squad. Bottom-2 lines should be easy, but getting talented offensive players will be a bit harder. But of course with cap space, they can always acquire overpaid players

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree with the Edmonton one.

I'd also add that Seattle will have interesting UFAs to look at. I believe several players timed their deals to coincide with Seattle entering the league, with cap space tight in the prime locations elsewhere.

Hall and Barrie signed one year show-me deals. I bet both are looking at Seattle. Driedger has been mentioned around here lately as a Seattle target (although I'm skeptical there, as Seattle may find good enough goalies in the ED)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Min might go 7-3-1 and try to trade dumba.

A lot of teams are stuck with 4 good defensemen already, and many more with 3. The options to trade Dumba will be quite small. What did you have in mind?

If Minny can get rid of Dumba and go 7-3-1, I think the best option for Seattle is Cam Talbot, who's having a solid season. Yet another decent goalie in the expansion draft, like Talbot, Holtby, Vanecek, Hill, Allen, etc. Not to mention all the UFAs

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's still very early but always fun to speculate. There will be many changes to line-ups between now and the expansion draft, but with the trade deadline having passed we can at least have a rough idea of who could be available. So who do you see has a high likelyhood of being picked by Seattle right now? I'm making a rough draft just for the heck of it, with the most obvious names available right now

ANA - Haydn Fleury
ARZ - Adin Hill
BOS - Jakub Zboril
BUF - Colin Miller
CAR - Brady Skjei
CHI - Alexander Nylander
CBJ - Eric Robinson
DAL - Jason Dickinson
EDM - Caleb Jones
FLA - Frank Vatrano
LA - Sean Walker
MTL - Jake Allen
NJ - Nathan Bastian
NYI - Kieffer Bellows
NYR - Julien Gauthier
OTT - Logan Brown? though they may make Matt Murray available and have other young goalies too
PHI - Jakub Voracek
PIT - Teddy Blueger
SJ - Radim Simek
STL - Vince Dunn? they'll also have some interesting forwards like Sanford, Blais, Barbashev
VAN - Braden Holtby
WSH - Vitek Vanecek? they could also go with a D like Dillon, TVR, Jensen or Kempny
WIN - Jansen Harkins/Mason Appleton, Sami Niku or Mikhail Berdin, depending on position of need

What do you guys think?

One thing is for sure, they'll have plenty of chances to build a great D and have some solid goaltenders right off the bat. Forwards could be a little more complicated, but with a few trades and free agent signings, they could actually build a good squad. Bottom-2 lines should be easy, but getting talented offensive players will be a bit harder. But of course with cap space, they can always acquire overpaid players

Avs can trade or buy out Erik Johnson (4 years x $2mm) with $4mm aav new cap space next year and the one after... if Johnson won’t waive his NMC. The Avs have zero bad contracts other than his. They can handle $2mm in dead cap space for two years. The $4mm in new found cap space next two years is awesome.

The Avs will lose Graves or Donskoi to Seattle. And that will suck because they are both good players having impactful seasons for the Avs. There is zero % the Avs lose Toews. He’s a top pair LHD on a great contract.

Avs go the 7-3-1 route. Protect Makar-Girard-Toews.
Mack-rants-Landy-Bura-Nuke-Kadri-Jost
Grubs.

Expose Saad (UFA), Donskoi, JT Compher, Graves.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
For the Avs, EJ will most likely either waive his NMC or he'll get bought out, allowing them to protect Makar, Girard, Toews on D. This means Ryan Graves will most likely be the best player exposed by the Avs.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Vancouver will be ecstatic if Seattle takes Holtby. More likely they take a cheap depth guy like MacEwen or Lind.

That's highly possible, given how many good goalies are already available. But Holtby is a guy with a great pedigree, so they might be temped to go with him (like Fleury in Vegas)

Reactions: Pointteen

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's impossible to predict who Seattle picks.. i learned that from the Vegas draft. Even though i had a bunch right, many teams ended up making deals or they picked a player nobody thought of.

We may have an idea who teams protect, but got to keep in mind it's all dominoes for Seattle. Especially if they sign any UFA's, they don't need to pick a dozen dmen for example, unless trade value > roster player.

They literally spend a year + planning this, have their team on the whiteboard and all different options they like for each position. Once certain positions are filled they aren't going to pick guys for that role multiple times.

Centers are going to be a challenge. Seattle is going to have to prioritize a center over slightly better player in some cases, and if there's any position you'd like more options than you need, it's that. Luckily Karlsson stepped up for Vegas and the rest is history, but they also had misses like signing Shipachyov who was supposed to be a top 6 C and Oscar Lindberg from the Rangers who looked like a good 3C option, never really got it going over there. Seattle probably has to throw some darts and hope something works out better than expected and/or get some young guys from deals.

Either way, too much of a headache to think of all this. It's more fun after we have the protected lists and maybe some handshake deals have leaked.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Seattle is smart they'd just take one of Colton, Joseph or Foote if exposed. But I'm sure we are going to try to swing a deal to get them to either take Johnson or trade them Johnson for taking a specific player like a Jan Rutta. Gonna cost a lot but don't seem to be having a problem using high picks or top prospects.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If Seattle is smart they'd just take one of Colton, Joseph or Foote if exposed. But I'm sure we are going to try to swing a deal to get them to either take Johnson or trade them Johnson for taking a specific player like a Jan Rutta. Gonna cost a lot but don't seem to be having a problem using high picks or top prospects.
Except TB doesn't have any good 1st rd picks or top prospects to tradr to SEA to take on that horrible contract.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Avs can trade or buy out Erik Johnson (4 years x $2mm) with $4mm aav new cap space next year and the one after... if Johnson won’t waive his NMC. The Avs have zero bad contracts other than his. They can handle $2mm in dead cap space for two years. The $4mm in new found cap space next two years is awesome.

The Avs will lose Graves or Donskoi to Seattle. And that will suck because they are both good players having impactful seasons for the Avs. There is zero % the Avs lose Toews. He’s a top pair LHD on a great contract.

Avs go the 7-3-1 route. Protect Makar-Girard-Toews.
Mack-rants-Landy-Bura-Nuke-Kadri-Jost
Grubs.

Expose Saad (UFA), Donskoi, JT Compher, Graves.

EJ has no reason to waive, and considering Landeskog will be looking at a 9M$ / + contracr, that 2M$ in dead cap space for 4 years may be usefull actually

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Jacob MacDonald is the guy they take from Colorado. Avs fans are hoping Seattle takes a contract like Compher off their hands but I think they’re smart enough to take a guy like Macdonald who’s actually really really good at only costs 750k.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Except TB doesn't have any good 1st rd picks or top prospects to tradr to SEA to take on that horrible contract.

Johnson is overpaid but not useless. He has 3 years left at 5M, if he was a free agent he probably can get a 3 year 3-3.5M deal this summer. He's still good for 35-45 points and that's with diminished PP time. We also have our 22nd and 23rd 1sts to trade. Seattle is going to want some future picks. We don't have any blue chip prospects but we have some who are close to NHL ready in Barre-Boulet, Raddysh and Katchouk.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
EJ has no reason to waive, and considering Landeskog will be looking at a 9M$ / + contracr, that 2M$ in dead cap space for 4 years may be usefull actually
Why do people without knowledge of the situation constantly say EJ has no reason to waive? If his option is waive or get bought out, he’s going to choose to waive. It’s not like Seattle will take him. I’m sure he’d much rather get all his money than not. Not that these guys know everything, but even The Athletic writers both in Seattle and Colorado have said they expect Erik Johnson to waive.

I know people want the Avalanche to have to protect Johnson and I get that. But if you invest any time into understanding the entire situation you’d know why everyone including the media expects Erik Johnson to waives his NMC in a few months.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't know about the rest but the goalies will be:

_______ ________
________ ________
Dermott _______
________ ________

Drieger
Samsanov/Vanecek

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

ANA - Haydn Fleury
ARZ - Adin Hill
BOS - Jakub Zboril
BUF - Colin Miller
CAR - Brady Skjei
CHI - Alexander Nylander
CBJ - Eric Robinson
DAL - Jason Dickinson
EDM - Caleb Jones
FLA - Frank Vatrano
LA - Sean Walker
MTL - Jake Allen
NJ - Nathan Bastian
NYI - Kieffer Bellows
NYR - Julien Gauthier
PHI - Jakub Voracek
PIT - Teddy Blueger
SJ - Radim Simek
VAN - Braden Holtby

What do you guys think?

I think Price will accept to waive his NMC, considering it's a win-win for him to do so.

By waving he helps the Habs remain a better team, forcing SEA to take Chiarot or Byron (protecting Allen)

And, in the event he gets picked by SEA, he goes to the west coast where he's from, and where he spends his summers.

He can't lose doing so. But mot waiving = he's back to play 60+ games a year cause we'd lose Allwn and he knows he can't do that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad