MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
HM to the magnificent team effort by the Whalers and Flyers

Cooperalls!! :handclap:

06.whalers.flyers.jpg

:help:

The weird thing is that the Cooperalls actually kinda made sense.

When you think about it, the whole shorts/high socks/garter belt thing is really strange, and only doesn't seem so because we're so conditioned to it.

Any similar sport in the world needing leg padding, and they're wearing pants.

________

Hartford photo is of Blake Wesley, Glen Wesley's long-forgotten older brother, interestingly.

lanny mcstash

Jan 25, 2009
memorable ones

- Mike Foligno and Sylvain Turgeons' "Bulbous dome" helmets
- Mark Messier and Mike McPhee's "sideburns" helmets
- Esa Tikannen's "colour not-quite right" soft plastic helmet
- The weird masks sported by Mike Liut, Kelly Hrudey, and the young Jeff Hackett Santa Beard mask.
- The Iron Grid cage on Van Biesbrouck's mask
- Can't go wrong with the original posters' weinrich visor and ludwig shin pads
- Peter Schaeffer's corkscrew stick curve

myleslong

Aug 23, 2008
Niagara
To my knowledge, Borje Salming was first in the league to go "cuffless". Up until then, everyone's gloves had long cuffs,and I recall it unique to see his exposed wrists/forearms.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Ugh..the whole "Jacques Plante" mask thing irks me every time I hear it. Geez we have a Canadian Heritage moment dedicated to it that gives everybody the idea he pioneered the notion of wearing a mask when it was actually Clint Benedict who was first.

tronylon

Dec 19, 2006
Poughkeepsie
lemieux's koho sticks come to mind

fleury's all white gloves he wore briefly on the rangers

richter's statue of liberty mask

yashin's turtleneck under jersey look

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
You might say Tom Reid was famous because of his equipment.

from NHL Alumni Site ...

In 1977, a small red rash appeared on Reid's arm. Massive itching sensations soon followed as his skin began to deteriorate. League doctors, trainers, and equipment producers investigated, eventually discovering that nearly 100 players across the NHL were suffering from various degrees of the affliction. But no case was as severe as Reid's was.

His skin was so bad that he could only sleep while sitting upright in a wooden chair. Before the season was over, his suffering grew so severe that he was forced to retire. In the end, the doctors concluded that he was allergic to his equipment and to the dye found in his uniform.

"When you leave the locker room and realize that your career is over — that's tough," recalled Reid. "Sports to me is like having your hand in a pail of water. When you're there, the water is in motion. When you take it out, it quickly smoothes over like you've never been there."

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Michel Dion's goalie mask
51-Michel-Dion-Mask.jpg

Joey Mullen's horsecollar in his final year with the Penguins
01.mullen.jpg

Selanne's helmet is a Jofa 366, the same model Mario wore prior to his 2000 comeback. He still has it, but the Jofa is "blacked out".

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Patrick Roy's Koho pads with the white on the insides, giving the illusion of a five hole

420px-Patrick_Roy_1999.jpg

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The weird thing is that the Cooperalls actually kinda made sense.

When you think about it, the whole shorts/high socks/garter belt thing is really strange, and only doesn't seem so because we're so conditioned to it.

Any similar sport in the world needing leg padding, and they're wearing pants.

I think there was friction issues. Players would fall and just slide forever, making for harder crashes into the boards. Plus, I think goalies complained that it was hard to pick up the puck through a maze of black pants.

It does make sense though, and I'm sure they could make them really well nowadays if they wanted to...but it looks so beer league.

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
Bobby Dollas' Itech helmet. I know wasn't a unique thing, but it always stood out. He also had to have had the smallest stick anyone used in the NHL

327233.jpg

I also always liked Michael Leighton's golden pads for his brief stint here during the pre-season.

247261426_7fb06d06a9.jpg

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
I remember seeing Zdeno Chara standing next to Niklas Andersson during a Frölunda vs Färjestad SEL-game of the lockout season, realizing Chara's stick was longer than Niklas. It's longer than the usual max length right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad