Players as famous as their equipment?

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
That's awesome. Props on the Spiritualized reference too. :laugh:

This thread is amazing.

And while we're talking about hair, nobody mentions Ron Duguay? For shame!

6a00e54f9153e0883301156f25d606970c-pi

01.commodore.kevin.cox.jpg

What an ANIMAL!

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Patrick Roy's Koho pads with the white on the insides, giving the illusion of a five hole

420px-Patrick_Roy_1999.jpg

I remember those. Made him look like a knock-kneed dude doin' The Charleston. But he could play.

Ken Dryden originally had this webbed goalie mask with all of the white paint rubbed off the middle (probably just via handling) exposing the bone-colored plastic over his nose -- very skeletal and scary.

Al Arbour wearing the thick eyeglasses is another thing I remember.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Jumped from the second page so haven't seen all replies, but here goes:

Gretzky's jersey - tucked into his pants on the one side

Don "Smokey" McLeod's curved blade on his goalie stick (as far as I know, he was the first)

A REAL obscure one... Glen Sather's gloves with the palms cut out!!! Used to do this with Rangers, allowed him to grab opponents' jerseys to slow them down!!!

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
Very old thread, but it's golden.

A new one that I haven't seen, Alex Semin's jersey tuck.

Along with Felix Potvin's pads and mask.

potvin.jpg

potvin.jpg

potvin.jpg

potvin.jpg

147851241vcjLap_ph.jpg

I like his Toronto pads and helmet the best, but Felix was my 1st real inspiration to play goalie. He was my dad and mine's favorite player on the Canucks in 2001 and that's when I really got into hockey. I owe a lot to Felix.

Likewise. Felix's resurgence with LA after being given up for dead by Vancouver is still my favorite hockey memory, that year + was so gratifying and awesome.

Also I really loved Kidd's gear, especially when he played here for the Panthers. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie run through more sets of different gear than Kidder did.

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
Eric Weinrich and Kyle McClaren's yellow visor, both of which were before Ovechkin's tinted visor.

Doug Weight and Paul Kariya's black Tuuk bladeholder long after Tuuk stopped producing black ones.

Brian Leetch's old Easton gloves. He had to spray paint them after going to Toronto, instead of getting new ones.

Gretzky had so many it's not possible to name all, so I'll just name some:

-the silver Easton stick that reflected light as he skated with his hunched over arms flapping skating style.

-Jofa helmet, enough said. although he did wear a specially made CCM helmet for an all star game (I believe it was '96). I actually emailed CCM back in '97 or '98 requesting info on where to get this, and that's how I found out it was made just for him.

-perfecta blades, blue in colour.

-long 50s style gloves.

JonL1421

Jul 26, 2012
Ontario
A helmet-less Craig MacTavish (picture from his final season, 1996-97). He was the last player to play in the NHL without a helmet, a league-wide mandate implemented in 1979 but grandfathered in for those already playing in the NHL.

JonL1421

Jul 26, 2012
Ontario
Jose Theodore at the Heritage Classic - Montreal @ Edmonton. His goalie mask + toque combination is literally a classic.

JonL1421

Jul 26, 2012
Ontario
Al Arbour wearing glasses while playing hockey in the NHL - one of the first to do so. This practice earned him the nickname "Radar" because of his ressemblance to the character from the war-themed TV show M*A*S*H.

thrillhouse99

Aug 4, 2012
1. Theo Fleury's tinted visor in his early days with the flames.

2. Back when he was with st Louis Chris pronger had those huge slash guards on his gloves.

3. Lindros had that unique tape job. Similar to the bobby Orr one with just three wraps or so on the middle of the blade.

4. Paul Kariya's ccm helmet with the extra padding after he came back from that concussion with the ducks.

5. A lot of people are talking about Gretzky's silver Easton aluminum. Tom Poti was the last player to use it in the NHL, long after everyone had moved on from aluminum sticks.

6. The original composite stick made by innovative graphite (the company also made fantastic high end graphite golf shafts). Igor Larionov used one with the red wings, I believe it retailed for $800. Interesting considering 15 ish years later this type of stick is the standard in the NHL.

7. Mike modano's ccm tacks! He was one of the last guys to use the skate that so many players used back in the day.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Great thread. Thanks for the bump.

When Mike Dunham was traded from the Predators to the Rangers early in the 2002-2003 season, he didn't want to deal with breaking in new equipment. He had the equipment manager paint the yellow parts red. It looked so bad by the end of the season. This is all my brain chose to remember about Dunham's stint in New York.

18952.jpg

MetropolisPt31

Feb 11, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
Great thread. Thanks for the bump.

When Mike Dunham was traded from the Predators to the Rangers early in the 2002-2003 season, he didn't want to deal with breaking in new equipment. He had the equipment manager paint the yellow parts red. It looked so bad by the end of the season. This is all my brain chose to remember about Dunham's stint in New York.

18952.jpg

I see your Dunham and raise you a McLennan.

mclennan.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ actually, I think the first NHL'r to wear the Tuuk Blade chassis was Roberts of the Habs early 70's, followed by Shutt, Lafleur etc. Robinson wore a pair of Micron or Munaro skates, plastic boot, quite possibly the ugliest design for a hockey skate of all time right behind the Lange tube skate that several players tried out from the early 70's onward.

Late 60's and into the 70's as well the explosion in the hockey stick market. Previously, you could really only get CCM's, Sher-Woods, Sherbrookes' & Northlands, or the cheap & heavy Wally's & Hespelers'. The Christian brothers of Minnesota introduced a line in the mid 60's & gained huge market share through the 70's & early 80's; with Koho, Torspo & many others coming into North America from about 68-69 onward.

... and oh ya, those "Ankle Guards" made by Cooper & a few others. Strap on pad that went around the ankle obviously, over the skate boot itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad