Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
He reads the play really well. His speed mixed with his huge reach make him a very good forechecker. Even better when he's the second man on the puck

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Mantha has been a beast recently. Constantly creating chances. If he puts it together consistently, I firmly believe he can be a top ten winger. 31 points in 44 games is great.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It was an excellent season by Mantha, but he really needs to stop dropping the gloves against actual enforcers, also we need an enforcer to take care of this crap.

I wonder what it is.

Is he trying to prove he's not soft? Is he trying to impress fans? Coaches? Management? Is he just not in control of his temper?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wonder what it is.

Is he trying to prove he's not soft? Is he trying to impress fans? Coaches? Management? Is he just not in control of his temper?

Hes always fought a little bit and I dont mind him scrapping the odd time to stick up for a teammate but last fight was a joke. Tampa literally had a career AHLer go after Dettroits mot promising young player and no one even did anything about it. Sent a clear message that Tampa can do whatever they want.

Having a guy like Mantha who will stick up for himself every now and then is nice but fighting guys like Witkowski is too much. Then having no one do anything about it except another rookie fight another scrapper shows how soft the wings are.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I wonder what it is.

he just acted like a man answering the call . They just pic the biggest man on the team

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Hes always fought a little bit and I dont mind him scrapping the odd time to stick up for a teammate but last fight was a joke. Tampa literally had a career AHLer go after Dettroits mot promising young player and no one even did anything about it. Sent a clear message that Tampa can do whatever they want.

Having a guy like Mantha who will stick up for himself every now and then is nice but fighting guys like Witkowski is too much. Then having no one do anything about it except another rookie fight another scrapper shows how soft the wings are.

For the longest time the Red Wings were so good on the power play you could do the most damage by letting an opponent take liberties and then get a goal on the ensuing power play. Now that the power play sucks I agree there needs to some grit in the lineup. I don't know that baby Bert is ever gonna be that guy, Ericsson is out of the lineup and is probably no longer that guy in any meaningful way.

Hopefully Givani Smith can round out into a good hockey player who can also tussle with the goons. I would prefer we not bring up career AHL'ers, we have far too little talent for that. We need guys who can hang at the NHL level and can fight. That's how Ericsson added a dimension that some of us could appreciate.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Was so good when he was called up up to early january, looked dominant at times. Started to slow off abit untill going pretty cold, hence the entire team was cold at the same time. Got reignited after the benching and got going and had a strong finish.

Quite the encouraging rookie season imo, and i'm not the one to defend Blashill but judging by Blashills use of words it seems as if Blashill expects more out of mantha than anyone else on the roster and that's why he benched him. Not because he was the worst on the ice but because he saw that there was more to him and wanted him to shake things up. And well, it worked.

If this team turns things around and Mantha gets to play with a great center i still see him peaking at a couple of 40 goals seasons which is elite in this scoring era.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Was so good when he was called up up to early january, looked dominant at times. Started to slow off abit untill going pretty cold, hence the entire team was cold at the same time. Got reignited after the benching and got going and had a strong finish.

Quite the encouraging rookie season imo, and i'm not the one to defend Blashill but judging by Blashills use of words it seems as if Blashill expects more out of mantha than anyone else on the roster and that's why he benched him. Not because he was the worst on the ice but because he saw that there was more to him and wanted him to shake things up. And well, it worked.

If this team turns things around and Mantha gets to play with a great center i still see him peaking at a couple of 40 goals seasons which is elite in this scoring era.

He's a good stickhandler which impressed me. Good at finding his spot and maneuvering through tight spaces and getting his shot off. He goes to the right area of the ice to score. Good at picking that top corner.

If you have another guy on the team who can be a net front presence and draw attention Mantha could absolutely clean up with the man advantage.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yay, another "Wings are soff" discussion. Haven't had that in awhile.

Before the Stars got back into the playoff picture again, they went through this period as a franchise where management heralded the virtues of "being tough to play against." It was actually a catalyst for signing Sean Avery after the Wings defeated them in the playoffs. And then even as that signing blew up and the team feel into irrelevance, they maintained that being gritty and tough was a huge asset to establish their position in the Wild West.

Of course it was the arrival of high end skill players like Tavares, Spezza, Sharp, Klingberg, etc that actually made any damn difference to moving the team towards relevance.

What I'm saying is this is a natural cycle you'll see from some fans and even management. If you don't have skill, well, time to get gritty. Expect another Steve Ott in the lineup next year. I'm anticipating some rhetoric about this team getting tougher during the off-season.

Anyway, yeah about Mantha. Glad to see he earned full difference maker status. Anytime a player makes stupid comments like that look as stupid as they are, I'm happy. Of course some will use that as evidence that the organization did the right thing keeping ol Jokim in the lineup so our soft, delicate Mantha could bloom like the flower he is. Bloom, Anthony!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sorry, but I don't see it as a bad thing to replace Miller with someone a bit grittier, who is hopefully decent with the gloves off. Neither is pushing this team towards a cup, but the latter is at least more entertaining and can instead take the stupid crap teams are going to try shoving at Mantha, Larkin, etc.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
He's a good stickhandler which impressed me. Good at finding his spot and maneuvering through tight spaces and getting his shot off. He goes to the right area of the ice to score. Good at picking that top corner.

If you have another guy on the team who can be a net front presence and draw attention Mantha could absolutely clean up with the man advantage.

Goalies seem to have trouble with rebounds from his shot - a valuable thing as well (although that just may be confirmation bias).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sorry, but I don't see it as a bad thing to replace Miller with someone a bit grittier, who is hopefully decent with the gloves off. Neither is pushing this team towards a cup, but the latter is at least more entertaining and can instead take the stupid crap teams are going to try shoving at Mantha, Larkin, etc.

I didn't say it was inherently bad. I simply predict that's the narrative we'll hear given the soft free agent market and lack of immediate impact arriving from the draft.

I could be wrong if they just bring in Jagr.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

Nolan Patrick is probably the perfect center for mantha imo. They would be just like Scheifele and wheeler

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
What are your predictions for Mantha this year?

I'd be a little disappointed if he doesnt score at least 20 goals and 50 points, assuming he plays all 82 games

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

If Rasmussen fulfills his potential a line of Mantha - Rasmussen - Nyquist seems dynamic on paper.

Svech - Larkin - AA/Tatar could be a nice second Line.

Use one of tatar/AA as a third line scoring threat with Abby and Helm bringing defence, and grit.

Then a top 4 consisting of Cholowoski, VS/Hronek, Dahlin/Merkley, and DDK has the potential to be pretty good.

A lot of ifs, buts and luck required for this to succeed but on paper it seems like it could be a competitive group, especially if Mrazek can rebound. Hell, I will be the first to admit that having 5 prospects fufufilling their potential is long shot, but maybe, just maybe, they can be a consistent playoff team.

Anyway, more on topic, I'd be very happy with 25 goals and 20-30 assists for Mantha. 50-60 points doesn't seem like an unrealistic season for him especially if the PP can improve from last year.

Last edited:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
He's still a young player, and teams now have more info on him. I don't want to put to much pressure on him. I think I would be happy with 40 points I think he could do more, but with the lack of other high skill players. I don't see him lighting the world on fire.

Overall I just hope he looks more consistent, and shows signs of being a legit power forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad