Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I dropped this in the General Red Wing Talk thread, but I'll drop it here too. Anthony Mantha is a damn monster and has the potential to be one of top players in the league when paired with the right linemates. Just need the bog man to continue to realize his abilities and stay healthy.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Last night I was going to start a new thread with a poll but then my browser crashed. I'll just state the topic here.

How do we (as Wings fans) feel about him in particular taking fights? Me personally I'm on the side of "I hope he never fights again" because of his injuries but I also try to balance that with the observed reality that it's just something he's willing to do. It's a part of who he is as a player. So overall, I feel alright with him fighting once in a while but I would hope it's no more than 1 or 2 over 82 games.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Last night I was going to start a new thread with a poll but then my browser crashed. I'll just state the topic here.

How do we (as Wings fans) feel about him in particular taking fights? Me personally I'm on the side of "I hope he never fights again" because of his injuries but I also try to balance that with the observed reality that it's just something he's willing to do. It's a part of who he is as a player. So overall, I feel alright with him fighting once in a while but I would hope it's no more than 1 or 2 over 82 games.

I'll never dislike a player that shows backbone and sticks up for himself every now and then. Come playoff time when teams are sending message at the end of a game its nice that the wings have a skilled player that can handle himself thinking back to all those years teams like the Ducks were jumping guys like Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Rafalski. If the wings had Mantha and Bertuzzi out there at the ends of games like that, its a lot less likely shit goes down. Come regular season though I agree, avoid as much as possible and stay healthy, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I think he tried avoiding a fight with Muzzin this year because he has been hurt fighting in the past and he ended up with a punctured lung. I say dont neuter him and hope his hands stay healthy. The wings suck now but in a few years theyll have talent to fill his spot if he does end up hurt

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'll never dislike a player that shows backbone and sticks up for himself every now and then. Come playoff time when teams are sending message at the end of a game its nice that the wings have a skilled player that can handle himself thinking back to all those years teams like the Ducks were jumping guys like Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Rafalski. If the wings had Mantha and Bertuzzi out there at the ends of games like that, its a lot less likely shit goes down. Come regular season though I agree, avoid as much as possible and stay healthy, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I think he tried avoiding a fight with Muzzin this year because he has been hurt fighting in the past and he ended up with a punctured lung. I say dont neuter him and hope his hands stay healthy. The wings suck now but in a few years theyll have talent to fill his spot if he does end up hurt

Given several of our building blocks and depending on how we fill out the next few years, there is a chance that Detroit is a really rugged group to be honest. Our identity might be the bully physical team, I think we want a rough and tumble team here in a couple years. If we can add Byfield or Lafreniere I think that really makes those odds very big.

I agree with Mantha getting hurt the last time trying not to really fight. I like when Mantha is being assertive in whatever he is doing. I don't mind the fighting, I hope he doesn't get hurt, but I am not swearing it off. Him pounding on some D-man in a playoff series or crushing some guy in a playoff hopeful run might really spark the team, it is still a part of hockey for me.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Given several of our building blocks and depending on how we fill out the next few years, there is a chance that Detroit is a really rugged group to be honest. Our identity might be the bully physical team, I think we want a rough and tumble team here in a couple years. If we can add Byfield or Lafreniere I think that really makes those odds very big.

I agree with Mantha getting hurt the last time trying not to really fight. I like when Mantha is being assertive in whatever he is doing. I don't mind the fighting, I hope he doesn't get hurt, but I am not swearing it off. Him pounding on some D-man in a playoff series or crushing some guy in a playoff hopeful run might really spark the team, it is still a part of hockey for me.
Yes, please. I want to see the Wings turn into something resembling the team of the late 90s - skilled with a snarl.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00