Player Discussion: Prospects Off Season ... including Gauthier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Just looking back at drafts right now. Man if we picked Ritchie over Nylander I'd b bangin my head off a wall. Nylander will be elite and I'm stoked for the future.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
you also don't know if they will all reach their ceiling. You don't just take 1 center with a #1 ceiling and be all, we got our #1C no reason to draft anymore now. If you have 3 then there greater your chances of having that elite 1C and if the other work out great, play 1 at 2C and 1 on the wing.

This... and chances are, they won't.

The amount of prospects who live up to their theoretical "cieling" when being drafted is an incredibly low number.

That being said, the concern for me is, even if these guys reach 90% of their cieling and both end up centres... I personally don't like what we have in the middle. The game is getting bigger, I think you can suceed with an undersized top 6 centre, I don't believe you can succeed with 2. Having size in the middle puts you in a substantially better position to drive posession, and be able to win a low scoring game / goalie duel.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
I like the idea of Nylander playing center. That actually really solves a lot of our problems going forward.

I also think that if we actually run 4 lines, there's no reason the 3rd line C can't be a quality player. Kadri might even be more effective on a third line because I think his game is much better against weaker opponents. IIRC, Kadri was on the third line during the short season where him and Frattin racked up all those points behind Bozak and Grabo.

It also depends on whether they think they can sign someone like Stamkos. If they want to go with Stmakos - Nylander - Holland - Gauthier ... then there's no room for either Marner or Kadri. (Babcock might even like Bozak as the number 3 going forward).

For this coming year, I think Marner should play center in the OHL because that gives him a greater chance to dominate down there. But I wouldn't mind if we got the coach to play him for 1/3 of his games on wing too. Even if he plays center in the OHL, there's no reason he couldn't shift to playing wing when he plays for the Leafs or the Marlies.

Ultimately, I think it might be better to have Marner as a winger. With Kessel gone, we're pretty weak on RW.

Our two best forward prospects by a mile are Marner and Nylander. It might be a good idea for those two to be line-mates going forward and hope they develop some chemistry. And from what I know about about these two players, Nylander will probably make a better center than Marner.

If you think in terms of age/ELC/development, there's a very good chance that Nylander's ahead of Marner and could see full-time with the Leafs in 2016, whereas Marner may just be playing his first AHL season at that time, and we're either locking up Kadri or signing him to another short-term deal to take him into FA.

Fast forward to 2017 and now Kadri is either gone or locked up long-term, and Marner is ready to make the jump (if at all; you never know, same goes with Nylander: maybe he flops out as a center and moves to the wing).

Really what I'm saying is that there's a age/development spread enough that we won't have instant log-jam and if all three of these guys are top 6 capable centers, then wing is an option or we simply move Kadri at that point for a (hopefully) good return.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
AHL re-alignment

The AHL has re-aligned its divisions for the upcoming season, and the Marlies will now be in the North Division of the Eastern Conference.

Their new Division mates comprise of the 5 Upstate NY teams (Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Utica), along with St. John's.

Prospect fans will have a lot of new faces & teams to watch, especially since the Marlies were previously in the Western Conference.

4 Canadian NHL affiliates (MTL/OTT/TOR/VAN) along with TBL. Will be nice to see progress and development based on lots of competition with other Canadian teams' and the highly-successful Lightning systems. And then, there's the Devils. lol.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
yeah no i couldnt see Marner going back to London for 2016-2017...

Marner and Nylander will probably both crack the sqaud in 2016-2017.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just looking back at drafts right now. Man if we picked Ritchie over Nylander I'd b bangin my head off a wall. Nylander will be elite and I'm stoked for the future.

A lot of people got annoyed with me during the draft year when I said we needed to draft him and raved about him every single day.

Me Leading Up To Our Pick

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=87093767&postcount=809

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=87094507&highlight=#post87094507

Me When He Got Picked

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=87096011&highlight=#post87096011

A couple things from that thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=87053137&highlight=#post87053137

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=87082547&highlight=#post87082547

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
B_S went back and forth it seemed.

He went from "Anybody but Ritchie" to "COME ON RITCHIE" on the next page.

Have to love all the people calling Ehlers and Nylander busts before they were even drafted too :laugh:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I went back and forth a bit on the 2014 draft...

Bennett was always my fav...

Went back and forth mainly on Nylander and others...

Eventually i honed in on Nylander...

Its funny though for a bit i was actually praising Kapanen and i was trying to make a case for him at #8...

My thought process was that he had the skill and speed of Nylander and was a more aggressive puck hound... Obviously after further research i decided Willy was the best pick but funny that we ended up with both.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Too much self congratulation in this thread. People are going to strain a muscle patting themselves on the back. It would be more interesting to hear about players we missed on or times we pumped the tires of the wrong players. Me? MPS recently and, a long time ago, this kid who played for the Soo. Amazing scorer and setup guy, but very slight and not really fast. He would never last in the rigours of the NHL. The Kid turned out OK.

We all get things wrong from time to time.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Too much self congratulation in this thread. People are going to strain a muscle patting themselves on the back. It would be more interesting to hear about players we missed on or times we pumped the tires of the wrong players. Me? MPS recently and, a long time ago, this kid who played for the Soo. Amazing scorer and setup guy, but very slight and not really fast. He would never last in the rigours of the NHL. The Kid turned out OK.

For me it's all about the next Sundin, Jens Karlsson. :laugh:

In my case it's more like I get things right from time to time. :)

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

Please tell me you're talking about Gretzky! Haha.

I was all aboard the Filatov hype train. I thought for sure he'd be the next Bure. Lol. Still think his failings are all mental.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I went back and forth a bit on the 2014 draft...

Bennett was always my fav...

Went back and forth mainly on Nylander and others...

Eventually i honed in on Nylander...

Its funny though for a bit i was actually praising Kapanen and i was trying to make a case for him at #8...

My thought process was that he had the skill and speed of Nylander and was a more aggressive puck hound... Obviously after further research i decided Willy was the best pick but funny that we ended up with both.

Bennett was my favourite player in last years draft as well. Marner was my favourite this year so i am glad that we got 1 of them. Last year at the time i also really liked Virtanen but now i am really happy we have Nylander.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Bennett was my favourite player in last years draft as well. Marner was my favourite this year so i am glad that we got 1 of them. Last year at the time i also really liked Virtanen but now i am really happy we have Nylander.

Heh... Same for me regarding all those guys.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

I actually wanted Dvorak with our 2nd draft pick too because I expected him to explode with a bigger opportunity with the Knights.

I also didn't expect a 100+ pt season though.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Players I had wanted us to draft in the past few drafts.....

- Nikita Kucherov
- William Nylander
- Mikhail Grigorenko
- Filip Forsberg
- Nikita Scherbak
- Nikita Zadorov
- Nikita Korostelev

I have had some good predictions on players who I thought had great potential and have shown it in the NHL (Forsberg, Kucherov.) Where some have shown to be sub par (Grigorenko, Zadorov.)

Also of note for some reason I tend to want the guys called "Nikita" and seem to lean a lot towards the Russian's. Although the Russian thing has more to do with the fact they tend to fall further than they should due to the stupid "Russian factor" which does not seem to effect as many players as we expect.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Players I had wanted us to draft in the past few drafts.....

- Nikita Kucherov
- William Nylander
- Mikhail Grigorenko
- Filip Forsberg
- Nikita Scherbak
- Nikita Zadorov
- Nikita Korostelev

I have had some good predictions on players who I thought had great potential and have shown it in the NHL (Forsberg, Kucherov.) Where some have shown to be sub par (Grigorenko, Zadorov.)

Also of note for some reason I tend to want the guys called "Nikita" and seem to lean a lot towards the Russian's. Although the Russian thing has more to do with the fact they tend to fall further than they should due to the stupid "Russian factor" which does not seem to effect as many players as we expect.

So basically anyone named Nikita lol

Idk if you edited that last part where you mention that or not because I just skimmed through it. So if so, my bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad