Player Discussion: Prospects Off Season ... including Gauthier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Players I had wanted us to draft in the past few drafts.....

- Nikita Kucherov
- William Nylander
- Mikhail Grigorenko
- Filip Forsberg
- Nikita Scherbak
- Nikita Zadorov
- Nikita Korostelev

I have had some good predictions on players who I thought had great potential and have shown it in the NHL (Forsberg, Kucherov.) Where some have shown to be sub par (Grigorenko, Zadorov.)

Also of note for some reason I tend to want the guys called "Nikita" and seem to lean a lot towards the Russian's. Although the Russian thing has more to do with the fact they tend to fall further than they should due to the stupid "Russian factor" which does not seem to effect as many players as we expect.

I was hoping for Nikita Merkley this year.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
So basically anyone named Nikita lol

Idk if you edited that last part where you mention that or not because I just skimmed through it. So if so, my bad.

Had it put in before but it is all good. It is rather weird honestly. Never put in a lot of the people I liked in this years draft as well.

I was hoping for Nikita Merkley this year.

Never watched a ton of Merkley so I never knew a lot about the guy. Out of this draft I was hoping we could get Evgeni Svechnikov as he possessed such a great kit. (Speed, skill, size.) But sadly DET saw the same thing as me. Although I am happy he went to DET as he should be able to succeed in that organization.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Just noticed Dakota Joshua's playoff stat line in the USHL this year.
Gp11 G4 A9 P13 PIM38
Helping his Sioux falls team win the championship. They only play 3 best of 5 series.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Just noticed Dakota Joshua's playoff stat line in the USHL this year.
Gp11 G4 A9 P13 PIM38
Helping his Sioux falls team win the championship. They only play 3 best of 5 series.

He's looked like a good prospect if you let him develop for a couple years.

I'm wondering how much pull the organization has with some OHL teams. For example, if they feel like Joshua isn't getting the best development for his career and they feel like he would be better suited for CHL play (Plymouth has his rights), then they would move him there or influence Plymouth's hand with keeping him. He's projected to start next year with Ohio State University.

The only downside I could see is that it changes the way they would count the contract limit of 50, as he would need to be signed within a couple years of being with the CHL instead of him actually going to the NCAA route and having the 4 years to sign him.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON

I'm wondering how much pull the organization has with some OHL teams. For example, if they feel like Joshua isn't getting the best development for his career and they feel like he would be better suited for CHL play (Plymouth has his rights), then they would move him there or influence Plymouth's hand with keeping him. He's projected to start next year with Ohio State University.

The only downside I could see is that it changes the way they would count the contract limit of 50, as he would need to be signed within a couple years of being with the CHL instead of him actually going to the NCAA route and having the 4 years to sign him.

I think NCAA might be a better route to help him develop into a strong 2-way centre. He does have top 6 potential but id be ecstatic if he even became a 3C.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think between Joshua and Toninato we have a player.

Yes, and somewhere between Oshawa and Toronto as well.:sarcasm:

Toninato has been lying in the weeds as far as high profile prospects go. Looks a lot bigger this camp, although he is one of the older guys this year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yes, and somewhere between Oshawa and Toronto as well.:sarcasm:

Toninato has been lying in the weeds as far as high profile prospects go. Looks a lot bigger this camp, although he is one of the older guys this year.

Actually, he's not. There are quite a few guys we invited from the NCAA whom were like 23 or 24 years of age. He's one of the older guys that we own rights to though.

He could also just look bigger because everyone around him got smaller. Since he was drafted, we went from a bunch of 6'2" and 6'3" guys to 5'10" guys.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Actually, he's not. There are quite a few guys we invited from the NCAA whom were like 23 or 24 years of age. He's one of the older guys that we own rights to though.

He could also just look bigger because everyone around him got smaller. Since he was drafted, we went from a bunch of 6'2" and 6'3" guys to 5'10" guys.

Now if Marner and Nylander figure to be our 1-2 centres, at 5'11-6'0 for each of them, if we can have Joshua or Toninato at the 3C spot (6'2) and Gauthier at 4C with 6'5.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Now if Marner and Nylander figure to be our 1-2 centres, at 5'11-6'0 for each of them, if we can have Joshua or Toninato at the 3C spot (6'2) and Gauthier at 4C with 6'5.

I just realized... We need more LW's. We have plenty of NHL quality RW's and C's, but few LW's. Leivo, Leipsic, Johnson, Panik, Beck, Engvall, Vesey and Rupert. Most of them are solid bottom 6ers.

I always thought Marner and Nylander would be on the same line?! And they would be very small. Or are we just going to have 2 1st lines that play 16 or 17 minutes a night.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Unfortunately, instead of humbling him, it'll only make him try harder. Guy really thinks he needs to prove himself.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener

Plymouth is now the Flint Firebirds.
But I think you hit it in your last statement. A player like this needs a longer look to see what he might develop into and the NCAA route is probably better for that for the Leafs.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Well, that is the correct order of importance to the Leafs of the trades in which Biggs, Devane and Broll departed the organization.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I just realized... We need more LW's. We have plenty of NHL quality RW's and C's, but few LW's. Leivo, Leipsic, Johnson, Panik, Beck, Engvall, Vesey and Rupert. Most of them are solid bottom 6ers.

Dzierkals and Timashov both play LW, so we just added 2 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad