Player Discussion: Phillip Larsen

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I rank him just behind Bartkowski in terms of "worst Canuck" I've seen in recent memory. Bartkowski got spoon fed copious amounts of ice time to boot, whereas Larsen at least seems to be the odd man out of the current D rotation, thankfully.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I rank him just behind Bartkowski in terms of "worst Canuck" I've seen in recent memory. Bartkowski got spoon fed copious amounts of ice time to boot, whereas Larsen at least seems to be the odd man out of the current D rotation, thankfully.

Wow!....that's a pretty damning indictment.....Bartkowski is a depth d-man with Binghamton in the AHL this year....unfathomable that he got all those minutes under Willie last year in the NHL.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Wow!....that's a pretty damning indictment.....Bartkowski is a depth d-man with Binghamton in the AHL this year....unfathomable that he got all those minutes under Willie last year in the NHL.

Yeah that is maybe one of the most damming indictments of Willie as a coach. Horrible player who couldn't find an NHL job this year, yet couldn't play himself out of the lineup under Willie.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Or Prust being a depth forward in the German DEL

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or Prust being a depth forward in the German DEL

That's more of an indictment of Benning's lousy eye for talent. At least Willie stopped playing Prust by mid-season.

But Bartkowski, who everyone could see was terrible and ineffective, was an automatic lineup selection all season playing 18-20 minutes every game. It was absurd, and a year later the guy is a middling AHL defender. It reflects horribly both on Benning for identifying him as a quality player and on Willie for not recognizing how poor this player actually was.

Meanwhile, Taylor Fedun, who looked very good in the one game he played out of necessity but who Willie basically parked in the pressbox and wasn't even willing to give any sort of chance to, is playing himself into a roster regular in Buffalo this season. Oops.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's more of an indictment of Benning's lousy eye for talent. At least Willie stopped playing Prust by mid-season.

But Bartkowski, who everyone could see was terrible and ineffective, was an automatic lineup selection all season playing 18-20 minutes every game. It was absurd, and a year later the guy is a middling AHL defender. It reflects horribly both on Benning for identifying him as a quality player and on Willie for not recognizing how poor this player actually was.

Meanwhile, Taylor Fedun, who looked very good in the one game he played out of necessity but who Willie basically parked in the pressbox and wasn't even willing to give any sort of chance to, is playing himself into a roster regular in Buffalo this season. Oops.

And let's not forget Linden Vey, who is also buried in the AHL this season, but kept getting big minutes from Willie last season.....at least Bartkowski was a FA signing....Vey cost a second-rounder.

It's kinda jaw-dropping when these guys get big minutes in the NHL with Vancouver one year, and then the next year aren't even impact players at the AHL-level. Unbelievable really.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
And let's not forget Linden Vey, who is also buried in the AHL this season, but kept getting big minutes from Willie last season.....at least Bartkowski was a FA signing....Vey cost a second-rounder.

It's kinda jaw-dropping when these guys get big minutes in the NHL with Vancouver one year, and then the next year aren't even impact players at the AHL-level. Unbelievable really.

I bet you'd be hard pressed to find too many examples of players who played 80+ NHL games getting regular minutes and then the next season weren't even close to an NHL roster, excluding cases where an injury factored into it.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I still think he's better than Bartkowski. Larsen has a better shot and some semblance of an offensive game. Bartkowski can skate and do literally nothing else well.

They're both awful though, obviously.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Larsen has been terribad since returning from his injury. He actually looked somewhat competent at the start of the year.

Still, I keep thinking maybe we should have just kept clendening.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

Reminds me of the years Nonis was in charge (Bulis, Cowan, Isbister, Ritchie, etc.)

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
He's easily the worst defenseman I've seen here in years, maybe going back to Cam Barker.
I think Gragnani was the worst; guy was completely clueless when he didn't have the puck and softer than overcooked spaghetti.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I think Gragnani was the worst; guy was completely clueless when he didn't have the puck and softer than overcooked spaghetti.

Barker is still the worst (non)defenseman I've ever seen play here. Grags was absurdly useless, but Barker was still the worst. Like, how the hell did anyone ever think this guy was good kind of bad.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Reminds me of the years Nonis was in charge (Bulis, Cowan, Isbister, Ritchie, etc.)

Most of those guys *cost* us nothing to acquire however... but point taken about weak depth at that time.

Larsen isn't, well, good... the fact we're even discussing him in the same sentence as a horribad Bartkowski is a pretty scathing indictment in and of itself. Classic tweener with enough skill to tease in other leagues but not quite enough skill/grit/intangibles/etc to translate to the NHL level. One can only hope whatever conditions for that pick we gave up for him being higher are not met, and weren't Pejorative Sluredly easily achieveable (i.e. plays 10 games, gets one point). One would assume otherwise but you never know with these guys in charge! :sarcasm:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, Tryamkin and Hutton have been a very solid pairing...just proves how bad Larsen really was, that he dragged Tryamkin down with him.

Larsen was just a terrible signing, but I'd be fine if all it cost was a one year contract for a million bucks or so to find out....but that fifth rounder to Edmonton, a team in our own division...yikes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad