Player Discussion: Phillip Larsen

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
So the thread is a bit negative understandably since it is a Benning pick throwaway as per usual. However, IMO Larsen is actually a legitimately good defenseman, who fits our team next year.

Basically, imagine if Matt Bartkowski knew how to play defense, and you're getting close to Larsen. Plus, he's a RH shot, who should be good on the 3rd pairing at minimum so we won't have half our D out of position.

He's got great speed, is smart, and reliable defensively (although not a crease clearer at all, more in the Hamhuis mold).

Videos:

Larsen's speed on display:

A rare hit, usually he's on the receiving end:

Some Gully quotes and breakdown of Larsen's play in his first full season:

No clue how he's been in Europe, but he is a player I liked when he was in the NHL.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Everything I've heard about this guy is that he can't play defense.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't buy the "can play defense" bit. I just don't. It's been a while but I didn't think he was good at it but in particular I remember him heavily struggling with NHL-level forecheck.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I don't buy the "can play defense" bit. I just don't. It's been a while but I didn't think he was good at it but in particular I remember him heavily struggling with NHL-level forecheck.

Agreed on that. His biggest weakness is physical play. He definitely struggles against heavier players, but that doesn't mean he's bad. Tanev struggled against the forecheck early on but was still a good defensive player for example.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another six foot and 183 pound d-man who'll get rag-dolled by Getzlaf and Kopitar in the Western Conference.....for a guy who supposedly values 'meat and potatoes', Jimbo seems to be loading up on sushi blueliners.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Agreed on that. His biggest weakness is physical play. He definitely struggles against heavier players, but that doesn't mean he's bad. Tanev struggled against the forecheck early on but was still a good defensive player for example.
Tanev only suffered in the sense he was beat up physically. He was still able to play really good defense despite of that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Another six foot and 183 pound d-man who'll get rag-dolled by Getzlaf and Kopitar in the Western Conference.....for a guy who supposedly values 'meat and potatoes', Jimbo seems to be loading up on sushi blueliners.
He never mentioned what cut of meat he likes. /s

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

any attempt at quantifying what he does suggests that he is a complete failure of an nhl defenceman

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
any attempt at quantifying what he does suggests that he is a complete failure of an nhl defenceman

Care to quantify it then? I assume you mean his advanced stats in Edmonton and Dallas? Here's a stat: he has consistently benefited from one of the highest on ice SV%'s of anyone on his team. Do you think that's because goalies are better when he's on the ice, or because he's better at limiting high quality scoring chances than his peers in EDM and DAL?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, i think that's the biggest thing i recall from Larsen's previous time in the NHL. Some talent and potential, but physically just not strong enough to compete.

If he's managed to rectify that at all between his last stint and training camp in October...maybe there's an NHL defenceman in there? Would have to defer to people who actually watch the KHL for that though...:dunno:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Here's a stat: he has consistently benefited from one of the highest on ice SV%'s of anyone on his team. Do you think that's because goalies are better when he's on the ice, or because he's better at limiting high quality scoring chances than his peers in EDM and DAL?

Yes. It's all luck. There are literally a million articles around on the fact that players' on-ice Sv% is not repeatable. Considering his NHL career totalled about 1700 ES minutes, it's hardly enough to conclude that he has cracked some secret to increasing his goalies' Sv% that no one else has.

First one I found: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/7/4/4487304/save-percentage-variability-regression-defense

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad