Player Discussion: Phillip Larsen

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning's way of thinking:

Leader among defensemen in KHL scoring= NHL powerplay quarterback

It was a calculated gamble that we kind of expected won't work out. Panarin was able to translate his game from the KHL to NHL. Larsen has NHL experience and is familiar with Willie.

Would have loved to have Kirill Koltsov in his prime here with the Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Hutton is back it's back to the pressbox for this guy....and since Biega still needs another game to be eligible for the expansion draft, barring a bunch of injuries this might be last we ever see of him.

Lol...I remember some optimistic posters describing him as 'poor man's Erik Karlsson'...well at least they got it 'half right'.:laugh:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Benning's way of thinking:

Leader among defensemen in KHL scoring= NHL powerplay quarterback

People made the rather salient point that Cam Barker led the league in defensive points that year. We all know Mr. Barker rather well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's easy to forget that Larsen couldn't make it on that Edmonton Oilers blueline with Eakins coaching one of the worst teams in hockey.....that might have been a clue right there....Yet Chiarelli still managed to peddle him to Jimbo for a fifth-rounder.

So this trade soon goes into the same category as Etem and Prust....5th and 6th rounders basically flushed down the toilet.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
It's easy to forget that Larsen couldn't make it on that Edmonton Oilers blueline with Eakins coaching one of the worst teams in hockey.....that might have been a clue right there....Yet Chiarelli still managed to peddle him to Jimbo for a fifth-rounder.

So this trade soon goes into the same category as Etem and Prust....5th and 6th rounders basically flushed down the toilet.
yepp mr benning,is driving this team right down the toilet......

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Exactly. Ive been arguing this since the day the trade happend and know everyone sees its true

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Haha yeah man, I had the exact concern when we brought Larsen in. I thought, if this guy can't even make it into the regular line up of the WORST d-corps in the league along with the WORST coach at the time for one of THE worst teams, what does that say about said player's abilities???

And this is the guy who's suppose to be our main quarterback for power plays???

Is this a case of our scouts taking a p!ss or just Benning doing Benning things?

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
It was a calculated gamble that we kind of expected won't work out. Panarin was able to translate his game from the KHL to NHL. Larsen has NHL experience and is familiar with Willie.

It's fair to roll the dice on a player like Larsen as a waiver claim or an international signing. It's very unwise to waste a mid-range pick on him.

Would have loved to have Kirill Koltsov in his prime here with the Canucks.

Definitely would have been interesting.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It's almost impressive that we actually gave away a mid-round pick for this guy. I think he's legitimately worse than Weber and Bartowski who at least could score a few goals while sucking. He's the kind of guy who you don't want to pick up for free, much less spend picks on.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Was it ever revealed what the condition was that could make the 5th round pick become a 4th? I'm assuming it's something to do with games played which Larsen hopefully won't reach?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Keep in mind, also, that Larsen was set to be a UFA. They traded a pick for his expiring rights. When he signed his deal with the Canucks, he was a UFA.

Dan Hamhuis' rights were traded for a 3rd back in 2010.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ray Ferraro saying on radio yesterday that after watching Larsen in Dallas and Edmonton, he was kinda shocked the Canucks picked him up....said he was even skinnier and abused in his own zone back then, but figured the Canucks must have thought that he bulked up playing the KHL...I guess not.

And I know posters tend to dismiss fifth rounders....but for context, both Hutton and Gaudette were drafted in the fifth round.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
It's almost impressive that we actually gave away a mid-round pick for this guy. I think he's legitimately worse than Weber and Bartowski who at least could score a few goals while sucking. He's the kind of guy who you don't want to pick up for free, much less spend picks on.

ya he is the worst defensemen I've seen in a while.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

He's easily the worst defenseman I've seen here in years, maybe going back to Cam Barker.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's easily the worst defenseman I've seen here in years, maybe going back to Cam Barker.

I tend to be someone who is partial to smaller skill defenders and would ice a blueline of 6 Erik Karlssons if I could, but I completely agree.

Larsen is just brutal defensively. He has a bit of talent but he just can't play the game at a competent level in his own zone and isn't nearly skilled enough to make up for it.

This roster was heaps better with Biega in the lineup, who should be an everyday player here.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I will stand up for him a bit. I don't think he was great, but he was a fine 7-8 before the hit. Since then he has been godawful.

As a 7-8 I don't think he was the worst we have had... Although I can't think of anyone I would say is worse of the top of my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad