Player Discussion: Frank Corrado

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
What are your guys thoughts on Frankie? I know he hasn't played much but I think he potential to be a #4,5,6 defender. I sure as hell prefer him over marincin and hunwick.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree that so far I think he has looked better than Martin Marincin. I trust Babcock and his decisions but there was some nights I thought why is Marincin playing and Corrado is not?

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I missed the last game or two, but the other games where I saw him play, I generally liked him as a 5/6 guy. He seems to have an accurate shot, decent passing ability, some grit and a calm presence. The negative that I saw was a tendency to take bad penalties and (maybe) positioning? He looks like a keeper. Maybe that's the reason Babs benched him for so long. He wants him for the future and preferred to showcase other guys for trades.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He is just another 3rd pairing D at best, he is not a # 4 type (or 2nd pairing D)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I agree that so far I think he has looked better than Martin Marincin. I trust Babcock and his decisions but there was some nights I thought why is Marincin playing and Corrado is not?

Especially considering the glut of LHD. Ive been wondering if they acquired Marincin for a 4th rounder with the hope of pumping his trade value this year and trying to move him for a 2nd rounder. Unfortunately I dont think his trade value has gone up at all.

Next year, im assuming Percy and Harrington will become waiver elligible? In which case decisions will have to be made between these two and Marincin, all projected bottom pairing, maybe second pairing LHD.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Solid. I'm not sure how much more he can develop but he's what I expected from what my own viewings with the Canucks and Sudbury.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Especially considering the glut of LHD. Ive been wondering if they acquired Marincin for a 4th rounder with the hope of pumping his trade value this year and trying to move him for a 2nd rounder. Unfortunately I dont think his trade value has gone up at all.

Next year, im assuming Percy and Harrington will become waiver elligible? In which case decisions will have to be made between these two and Marincin, all projected bottom pairing, maybe second pairing LHD.

I see Percy traded in the next 6 months in a quantity for quality kind of trade, or at least to bolster the value of a player to get a more needed player.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I really liked his game against The Flames the other night despite the goal against. His skating and physicality and shot are all a plus.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I definitely have liked what I've seen so far. For those calling his cap as a bottom pair, don't forget how young he is.

The problem we have now (and it is a good one to have) is that we have too many nhl ready d prospects - as has been mentioned by others. We lost Granberg already, I don't want to see us lose another, a trade will hopefully go down.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I see Percy traded in the next 6 months in a quantity for quality kind of trade, or at least to bolster the value of a player to get a more needed player.

Given our prospect depth up front, and organizational depth at LHD vs lack of depth at RHD, Id be interested to see what we could get in a 2 for 1 swap.

Whats the best RHD prospect we could get for something like Kapanen + Percy? Would any teams be interested in that?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Given our prospect depth up front, and organizational depth at LHD vs lack of depth at RHD, Id be interested to see what we could get in a 2 for 1 swap.

Whats the best RHD prospect we could get for something like Kapanen + Percy? Would any teams be interested in that?

Not a good idea. I gather they feel they have just made an NHL line for transplant in Lindberg Nylander Kappy.

It has all the elements of a complete NHL line.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm a fan of his game.

I like the way that he steps up to continue plays in the offensive zone. He does this a couple ways by using his stick to knock away from the team trying to break out and I've seen a couple times where he steps around the winger that's waiting on the half wall.

He's a really strong skater and he pushes the play really well.

Needs to work on defensive zone reads a lot better. He seems to be looking around to see who he has to cover too often and that 1-2 seconds is the difference between the NHL level and sitting in the pressbox/in the AHL.

I really wish his partner wasn't in the same boat as he was. It's tough to have that support and learn how to play your game when the other guy is trying to do the same thing.

I'm not sure if he's the answer going forward. He could be a Tim Erixon type where he just stays on until the end of the season and he's moved. If they actually see something in him, then he'll remain on the 3rd pairing and they'll have to find a veteran to come in and play the defensive role. ie. Braydon Coburn, Willie Mitchell

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Has played pretty well when you consider how much time he has spent in the press box.

Last game he got caught once where the forward deked him out of his jock strap. Luckily it was called as an offside or the player was gone with a completely open lane to the net. He's gritty which is good, it does take him out of the play sometimes, but not too bad. He has looked lost on a few occasions, but I would expect that with the lack of games he has taken part in.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know what his ceiling would be really but I liked his game vs Calgary the other night.

Good skater, good shot, plays the body. I noticed one thing he does really well is play off the puck with a lot of movement. Noticed when we are transitioning in the neural zone, he builds up speed off the puck so he can take his D partner's pass in stride and jump right up with the forwards.

Fairly decent bottom pairing guy for now. If he ever becomes anything more, I'll be happy.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not a good idea. I gather they feel they have just made an NHL line for transplant in Lindberg Nylander Kappy.

It has all the elements of a complete NHL line.

Think it's more likely we see Timashov instead of Kapanen, who'd do better on a line with Komarov and Kadri.

But I agree, not likely we see Kapanen dealt. They specifically sought this kid in the Kessel trade, he was on Shanahan's list going into that draft when we took Nylander, and we were in talks to deal Phaneuf and likely were hoping to grab Kapanen as part of that.

They will have Kapanen play over the next 3-5 years at least, barring the unrealistic scenario that he just fizzles out completely.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
As for Corrado, I like his game a lot. Still needs a bit of polishing but overall he has good tools. At the very least he's great trade bait.

But we're assembling a mobile d-corps so he's a lock on that front.

I really wish some one in the Press could figure out why he sat out so many games. It has to go beyond putting specific players in the best possible light for trade value.

Maybe a deal for Phaneuf was in the works earlier in the year and fell through?

I just can't see the rationale for sitting him out that long, and why he and his agent would be okay with it the whole time. At some point you'd have thought they'd make some sort of comment, anything...

Or even the media... They tried to make it a story and that got hushed up pretty quick...

This new regime really seems to control the media...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
As for Corrado, I like his game a lot. Still needs a bit of polishing but overall he has good tools. At the very least he's great trade bait.

I really wish some one in the Press could figure out why he sat out so many games. It has to go beyond putting specific players in the best possible light for trade value.

I just can't see the rationale for sitting him out that long, and why he and his agent would be okay with it the whole time. At some point you'd have thought they'd make some sort of comment, anything...

Or even the media... They tried to make it a story and that got hushed up pretty quick...

That's what I was thinking too. Too bad he had to wait so long but what is done, is done

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I definitely have liked what I've seen so far. For those calling his cap as a bottom pair, don't forget how young he is.

The problem we have now (and it is a good one to have) is that we have too many nhl ready d prospects - as has been mentioned by others. We lost Granberg already, I don't want to see us lose another, a trade will hopefully go down.

Could not agree more with his age ....He is a better overall D man than Percy at this point and is gaining confidence as the season goes on. He is a lot better than I thought when we picked him up.

We need to move at least two of our prospect D man or risk losing them on waivers next season. Frankie could be moved and we could get a decent to good return if he continues his good play or we keep him as he seems to still have some up side.

pacman25

Mar 15, 2013

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/02/13/the-provies-the-night-the-earth-shifted-in-vancouver/

At the end there is a conversation with Corrado and it seems like he seperated his shoulder and broke his arm in the playoffs and needed the extra time to get back into game shape after not being able to train in the off season

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/02/13/the-provies-the-night-the-earth-shifted-in-vancouver/

At the end there is a conversation with Corrado and it seems like he seperated his shoulder and broke his arm in the playoffs and needed the extra time to get back into game shape after not being able to train in the off season

Wow, very interesting, seems Frankie wasn't being shunned by Babcock as the media wrote the story. It's aways down in that page:

In his answer there was a revelation that’s a bit of a game changer, in the way the story has been told to this point.

And that would be the comment “separated shoulder.â€

To this point, no one knew that Corrado suffered a separated shoulder during the playoffs and played through it. It depends on degree, but generally it’s a 3-5 week rehab for NHL players before they can play again.

Q: Did that impact you for weeks?

Corrado: Months.

“It happened in the first round. It was Game 3 against Chicago. At home. I separated my shoulder. I played the rest of the playoffs with it.

“It’s one of those things that take a long time to heal. Throughout the summer, especially when you have a late summer like that, there wasn’t much I could do.

“I had to let it heal. When it got time where I could really push it, it was basically training camp.â€

Corrado missed five games during the playoffs. Missing those games was not because of the separated shoulder.

In fact, in Round 2, Corrado broke his hand. The five games he missed were spent icing it.

So, he just played through a broken hand and a separated shoulder and was given up on by a team who concluded he had a poor training camp even though he couldn’t work out in the summer?

That’s some story, and it changes the complexion of what went down.

It also was a reason Corrado didn’t play much with the Leafs when he arrived.

“It was easier in (Toronto) because there was a plan. I knew they had a plan for me.

“They had a picture of when they wanted me to play.

“Knowing that there was a group who had a plan for me, made things easier.

“They talked to me, let me know.

“‘Keep getting stronger,’ they said.

“The time off, I got a lot of time to work out and that heped because I missed the time in the summer.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad