Player Discussion: Brandon Sutter | III

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Way to take the spirit of what i said so literally.
The Point... His speed creates flash offense.
He is a rush player offensively.
Looking forward to seeing what he can do over 82 with us.

Video of his 5 goals..

I've never seen so much excitement over a 30 point player.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I've never seen so much excitement over a 30 point player.

Yep. What did we give up for Higgins in 2011? Oberg and a 3rd? Something like that would have left me content with acquiring Sutter, cause honesty Higgins was probably a slightly better player when we acquired him. Would have a longer highlight vid at least.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep. What did we give up for Higgins in 2011? Oberg and a 3rd? Something like that would have left me content with acquiring Sutter, cause honesty Higgins was probably a slightly better player when we acquired him. Would have a longer highlight vid at least.

Well Higgins was a potential rental and there was the Roy for Connauton and a 2nd deal too.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well Higgins was a potential rental and there was the Roy for Connauton and a 2nd deal too.

Roy was like twice the player. Sure it didn't turn out, but he was close to ppg player. He put up 22 points in 30 games that season, and was one "bad season" where he still put up more points than Sutter ever has, from being point per game.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Well it was a difference of 1 year in their UFA eligibility (Higgins was UFA that summer, Sutter had 1 year left on his deal before UFA). Bit more risk that Higgins tests the UFA water but then Sutter could have done the same after a year if Benning hadn't extended him to a fat contract.

It makes a difference but not that much tbh.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Didn't realize I was exuding so much excitement.

More of a general optimism... but I understand how optimism is like some sort of toxin for posters like you.

What's there to be optimistic about when paying $4.3M for a 30 point 3C who will be in the 2C role?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Roy was like twice the player. Sure it didn't turn out, but he was close to ppg player. He put up 22 points in 30 games that season, and was one "bad season" where he still put up more points than Sutter ever has, from being point per game.

Does Derek Roy even play hockey anymore?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Sutter looked good in his first 20 games as a Canuck, and he was on pace for 21 goals and 37 points. I personally don't consider that as awful production for a player making just over 4mil per year, especially considering the position Sutter plays and what other attributes he brings to the table. The Sutter contract shouldn't even be discussed, it's the least of our problems.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Sutter looked good in his first 20 games as a Canuck, and he was on pace for 21 goals and 37 points. I personally don't consider that as awful production for a player making just over 4mil per year, especially considering the position Sutter plays and what other attributes he brings to the table. The Sutter contract shouldn't even be discussed, it's the least of our problems.

I'm mostly staying out of this thread, but 37 points from a forward that gets the most ice time on your team (including 1st unit PP time with the Sedins) is not good production.

I don't really feel like arguing about this anymore, but I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise about Sutter's production.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm mostly staying out of this thread, but 37 points from a forward that gets the most ice time on your team (including 1st unit PP time with the Sedins) is not good production.

I don't really feel like arguing about this anymore, but I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise about Sutter's production.

Because some people don't care about the context, and will defy logic just to support whatever this stupid management does. That includes pumping up a mediocre hockey player like Sutter.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, people just seem to treat it like all 37-point seasons are equal. Which is really weird.

If Derek Dorsett comes out and scores 37 points next year from the bottom 6 while playing 12 minutes/game with no PP time, that's absolutely freaking exceptional.

If Henrik Sedin scores 37 points next year while playing 19 minutes/game of #1 center icetime with #1 PP time, that's absolutely freaking awful.

Brandon Sutter getting 37 points while splitting his time between being a #1 Sedin winger and being a #2 center getting spoonfed offensive zone starts, lots of PP time, and leading the team in icetime? That would really suck.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
what if he gets 36 goals and one assist (bounced off Virtanens face)?

Yeah right

I think the Sutter question going into next year are how many games will he play cause of being so injury prone or whatever

My guess is 55 games in the season with 16 pts. With lots a PP time under WD until hes fired in January and then the new coach will try to play him less on the PP until Benning and Lingoof breath down his neck to overplay Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad