Vancouver
brandonsutter.jpg

Back to the infirmary.

Previous threads

Last edited by a moderator:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Say what you will of him, I just hope he doesn't become a Ballard, and by that I don't mean a bad player for us, just a guy that was relatively healthy his entire career until he came to us, then had freak and weird injuries for the rest of his career.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Such bad luck. Comes in with reliability and health being one of the selling points.... Injuries.

welcome to the Canucks

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Is this a situation like Hamhuis where he can't eat solid food and loses weight due to drinking his meals? ****. Sutter is a beanpole already. :(

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Say what you will of him, I just hope he doesn't become a Ballard, and by that I don't mean a bad player for us, just a guy that was relatively healthy his entire career until he came to us, then had freak and weird injuries for the rest of his career.

Really cruddy the way Sutter's tenure here has started off injury-wise. So frustrating that we seem to take these generally healthy players, and turn them into injury magnets in Vancouver. I mean...that injury last night, that's just bad dumb luck. :dunno: Sucks.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
If it's just lower jaw it's not as bad but he'll still have to be fixated (wires or elastics) and plated, so soft food, but healing time should be quicker.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's a shame that people will resort to pointing to his injuries to explain why he hasn't performed well, while completely ignoring his historical numbers which are similar.

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery though. Don't like to see anyone get hurt.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This is why you don't sign a player before he plays a single game for you. The guy has been injured over half the year, could have got us a nice discount (well a GM capable of skilled negotiating could).

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011

Ballard had hip surgery before ever joining the Canucks. He was still recovering when we traded for him. Gillis swapped a 1st round pick and a former 1st round draftee for what amounted to damaged goods.

You're right that Sutter was by and large healthy before this year.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
This is why you don't sign a player before he plays a single game for you. The guy has been injured over half the year, could have got us a nice discount (well a GM capable of skilled negotiating could).
Yeah, but what if he stayed healthy and scored 25 goals, then we'd have to pay him almost 4.5 million.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Really cruddy the way Sutter's tenure here has started off injury-wise. So frustrating that we seem to take these generally healthy players, and turn them into injury magnets in Vancouver. I mean...that injury last night, that's just bad dumb luck. :dunno: Sucks.

It just seems to happen, I don't know why. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Ballard had hip surgery before ever joining the Canucks. He was still recovering when we traded for him. Gillis swapped a 1st round pick and a former 1st round draftee for what amounted to damaged goods.

You're right that Sutter was by and large healthy before this year.

Doesn't change the fact he was relatively healthy before that. Lots of players do fine after that surgery including Kesler, and Lack.

Yeah, but what if he stayed healthy and scored 25 goals, then we'd have to pay him almost 4.5 million.

what from his 500+ games makes you think that was likely? We paid him on the high end. It would have always most likely been less.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Too bad. Not that it really makes much difference to the lineup, they were essentially using him as a non-effective scoring center anyways. Hopefully this allows McCann to see more icetime but apparently Cracknell is playing instead?

what from his 500+ games makes you think that was likely? We paid him on the high end. It would have always most likely been less.

That's their point. Best case scenario he scores 25, at which point he still could have been easily had for 4.5. Our lovely management group signed him for that anyways.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yikes!...did you have to remind us that Sutter's $4.5m deal cuts in next season?...but looking at it positively if he's jinxed injury-wise, at least they'll be more cap relief on LTIR...and if the Canucks are set in the middle with Henrik, Bo and McCann then he instantly becomes the most expensive fourth-line centre in hockey.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Too bad. Not that it really makes much difference to the lineup, they were essentially using him as a non-effective scoring center anyways. Hopefully this allows McCann to see more icetime but apparently Cracknell is playing instead?

That's their point. Best case scenario he scores 25, at which point he still could have been easily had for 4.5. Our lovely management group signed him for that anyways.

And I am agreeing with that.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yikes!...did you have to remind us that Sutter's $4.5m deal cuts in next season?...but looking at it positively if he's jinxed injury-wise, at least they'll be more cap relief on LTIR...and if the Canucks are set in the middle with Henrik, Bo and McCann then he instantly becomes the most expensive fourth-line centre in hockey.

McCann can't even beat out waivers guys like Cracknell or Vey, he has a long way to go to pass Sutter. Used properly Sutter is a good bottom 6.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
McCann can't even beat out waivers guys like Cracknell or Vey, he has a long way to go to pass Sutter. Used properly Sutter is a good bottom 6.

:laugh:

Jared McCann can and has beaten those waiver guys out. We just have an idiot coach.

Sutter is an overrated average 3C.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's a shame that people will resort to pointing to his injuries to explain why he hasn't performed well, while completely ignoring his historical numbers which are similar.

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery though. Don't like to see anyone get hurt.

How has he not performed well? He's basically paced for a 20 goal, 35 pt year, with decent defense, decent faceoffs, a better possession player than he was touted as, a better forechecker than he was touted as, with the same lack of creativity and offensive IQ that he was touted as. Unless people were expecting 50+ points, he's basically performed how he should.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
How has he not performed well? He's basically paced for a 20 goal, 35 pt year, with decent defense, decent faceoffs, a better possession player than he was touted as, a better forechecker than he was touted as, with the same lack of creativity and offensive IQ that he was touted as. Unless people were expecting 50+ points, he's basically performed how he should.

he played 20 games this year. I'm not judging one way or the other but his production is really on way too small of a scale to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad