Player Discussion: Adam Gaudette (#882)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
Not worried. Seems like a great kid and there's nothing wrong with getting more of his degree finished and continuing to develop. He's taken major strides this year and next year should be exciting.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I kind of expected this. We've heard management (as well as other commenters) talk about him being a year away from the NHL. Not that this is set in stone, but if he leaves college now, the chances are he will spend the majority of the season or even the entire season in the AHL next season. If he spends another year in college, he may be ready to crack the NHL lineup without much AHL seasoning.

There's no need to panic now. There's always a risk, but not many guys go through 4 years of college just to be able to sign with another NHL team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Very worried. Canuck nation must be worried considering how good hes gonna be but looks like his head is in the going the other direction :(

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I kind of expected this. We've heard management (as well as other commenters) talk about him being a year away from the NHL. Not that this is set in stone, but if he leaves college now, the chances are he will spend the majority of the season or even the entire season in the AHL next season. If he spends another year in college, he may be ready to crack the NHL lineup without much AHL seasoning.

There's no need to panic now. There's always a risk, but not many guys go through 4 years of college just to be able to sign with another NHL team.

Yeah. Anyone entering panic mode at this point about Gaudette doing this just so he can sign somewhere else needs to cool their jets. We're not on the doorstep of that problem for a while still.

I don't really see it as a particularly surprising development. In fact, i would've expected as much. Would've been surprised if he had opted to go Pro for next season.

Going back to what will probably be a weaker team there may hurt his numbers and his stature with the fans, but ultimately...if he's not good enough to go back and take on an even bigger role successfully next year in the NCAA, he'd likely have had a very rough first AHL season anyway. He'd be perfectly well within reason to want to go back and prove that he can do this without all the same veteran support around him. The NCAA is a very good development environment, great opportunity to play high level hockey while having the time and facilities to focus on doing what he needs to do to get himself physically ready for the grind of the Pro game.

The end-goal isn't just to climb the ranks as quickly as possible...it's to be prepared and even thrive when climbing ranks. And to develop into a quality NHL player in the long-run. A 5th round pick spending 3 years in College before making the jump is hardly a crisis detrimental to their NHL future. I think a year in the AHL after that even, is still pretty likely. Which is...completely fine. :dunno:

Some folks are just massively impatient when it comes to prospects and waiting on them to develop. This is how draft and develop works. It takes time. I mean...Johnny Freaking Gaudreau spent 3 full years in the NCAA. Hardly seems to have ruined his development. :laugh:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I'm happy that Gaudette is returning to the NCAA's. No need to rush him. Let the kid get his college degree, let him gun for a championship, and let him play an integral role on his team. Put him in a winning environment over there.

When he gets to the NHL, let him be super ripe.

I support this decision on his part.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'm happy that Gaudette is returning to the NCAA's. No need to rush him. Let the kid get his college degree, let him gun for a championship, and let him play an integral role on his team. Put him in a winning environment over there.

When he gets to the NHL, let him be super ripe.

I support this decision on his part.

Except next year he will be only one year from UFA and going to Boston will be to temting for him. Way too risky I really hope we get a competent GM by then to somehow convince him :(

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I really wouldn't worry about Gaudette not signing at this stage. If he doesn't sign a year from now then start worrying a bit but for now there are much bigger things to worry about as a Canucks fan.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I really wouldn't worry about Gaudette not signing at this stage. If he doesn't sign a year from now then start worrying a bit but for now there are much bigger things to worry about as a Canucks fan.

Agreed

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Oh good. Like Pierre McGuire said, doesent think he's psyicsally ready for pro hockey, although he's gotten bigger and much better. Not surprised he's back anyone surprised he didn't sign ? I'm not. We still have 1 full year after next season just like what happened to demko to sign him.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Oh good. Like Pierre McGuire said, doesent think he's psyicsally ready for pro hockey, although he's gotten bigger and much better. Not surprised he's back anyone surprised he didn't sign ? I'm not. We still have 1 full year after next season just like what happened to demko to sign him.

Plus he's already taken the big step offensively as a sophomore. So, with another year like this one or better as a Junior, there wouldn't be anything left for him as a senior.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

going back for the 3rd year is no sweat, he's most likely sign this time next year. However if we don't sign him this time next year I'll start worrying as that will probably mean he's thinking about a 4th year. You just don't want it to go down to the 4th year as this time in the 4th year its only a couple of months to hold out for the right to pick your own team is too tempting for many.

Still I'd rather have seen him go to Utica for next year.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
going back for the 3rd year is no sweat, he's most likely sign this time next year. However if we don't sign him this time next year I'll start worrying as that will probably mean he's thinking about a 4th year. You just don't want it to go down to the 4th year as this time in the 4th year its only a couple of months to hold out for the right to pick your own team is too tempting for many.

Still I'd rather have seen him go to Utica for next year.

Well we can do a Boeser and sign him at the end of next season, promise to play him a game to burn a year off the ELC. That's actually a really good incentive to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad