Player Discussion: Adam Gaudette (#882)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Well we can do a Boeser and sign him at the end of next season, promise to play him a game to burn a year off the ELC. That's actually a really good incentive to sign.

Yep. Financially, going back for a 3rd year and signing prior to the end of next NHL season is the best bet. He gets 3 years of signing bonuses (about $275K) over only 2 seasons and he gets another year of experience which would tend to minimize his time in the AHL (assuming he's good enough to make the NHL). And his ELC ends a year earlier than if he went back for his senior year.

Given all that, if he opts for a senior year at the end of next season then I'd be pretty convinced that he's gone. But at this point going back for a 3rd year is business as usual, even if there's an argument to be made that going the AHL would be better for his development.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yep. Financially, going back for a 3rd year and signing prior to the end of next NHL season is the best bet. He gets 3 years of signing bonuses (about $275K) over only 2 seasons and he gets another year of experience which would tend to minimize his time in the AHL (assuming he's good enough to make the NHL). And his ELC ends a year earlier than if he went back for his senior year.

Given all that, if he opts for a senior year at the end of next season then I'd be pretty convinced that he's gone. But at this point going back for a 3rd year is business as usual, even if there's an argument to be made that going the AHL would be better for his development.

Yeah if he wants to go back to his senior year then he's a goner. But then he will be delaying his first RFA contract by 2 years. I think his agent will most likely advise against going back for the final year.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

a very encouraging tweet.
it really does sound like he intends to sign with van so I'm happy. I don't really care about Zach. It was more important to sign our own draftees.
I was getting a little concerned

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah if he wants to go back to his senior year then he's a goner. But then he will be delaying his first RFA contract by 2 years. I think his agent will most likely advise against going back for the final year.

Unfortunately it'd only delay it by 1 year because if he goes back for his senior year he'll hit the age where he only needs a 2 year ELC. And that's assuming that it's possible for the Canucks to burn a year of his deal at the end of next season. Sometimes it doesn't work out if his team makes the Frozen Four because the NHL regular season can be over before the NCAA is done. If that happens then he might not be delaying anything by returning for his senior year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I mean, technically he can't really have an "agent" until he's actually made that decision to turn Pro. It would theoretically void his remaining eligibility. But in practical terms, under the guise of "advisors" and whatnot...yeah, the point stands and is a good one.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
a very encouraging tweet.
it really does sound like he intends to sign with van so I'm happy. I don't really care about Zach. It was more important to sign our own draftees.
I was getting a little concerned

What else is he gonna say. I could totally see this guy going to UFA for Boston.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sigh... the Penguins do make sense for Aston-Reese though. The Penguins don't have much depth on the bottom lines and Scranton is closer to his hometown than Utica.

Correct, but in the modern world being 129 miles from home is not a whole big advantage over 252 miles away. It's 4 hrs vs 2hr and 19 minutes. Call it an hour and a 1/2 distance apart.

However, when you measure the distance to his Staten Island home from Vancouver, now you are talking some real estate.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
All the unnecessary worrying can finally stop.

Seriously? It's just going to get worse and worse until this time next year. And if if doesn't sign then, our collective heads will explode.

Personally, I'm fine with him going back to the NCAA... he's still got things to prove and some growing to do. We don't need to rush him, we're going nowhere for at least a couple of years.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
“I was just happy I was drafted, Gaudette told Daily Hive. “I took a lot of heat for being a Bruins fans then, but the past two years it’s been great. I’ve been given a lot of support from the Vancouver fans. It’s exciting to be able to have the opportunity to play for them some day.”

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-prospect-adam-gaudette-2017

If anyone starts fear mongering that he might go to free agency, seriously need to shut the **** up.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It seems crazy to me the way that posters still continue to read into cliched stock answers (that are basically a coached prerequisite) in player interviews as any indication of what they're likely to do.

In fact, if you couldn't find an example of anything that notes that he's happy to be with the organization, that would be so wildly out of the ordinary that it would be closer to clear indication that he's going to leave :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-prospect-adam-gaudette-2017

If anyone starts fear mongering that he might go to free agency, seriously need to shut the **** up.

The landscape has kind of changed for players coming out of college....The team what drafted them is only team capable of permitting them to play games at the end of the NHL season, thereby burning off one year of their entry level-contract.

This worked for both Boeser and Molino, and suspect it will be a big selling point for Gaudette and his agent....otherwise he has to wait until August after his senior year to become a UFA, and only has the option of the standard three-year entry-level deal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The landscape has kind of changed for players coming out of college....The team what drafted them is only team capable of permitting them to play games at the end of the NHL season, thereby burning off one year of their entry level-contract.

This worked for both Boeser and Molino, and suspect it will be a big selling point for Gaudette and his agent....otherwise he has to wait until August after his senior year to become a UFA, and only has the option of the standard three-year entry-level deal.

I think there's a chance it would only be a 2-year if he waited until after his Senior year. Depends on how they calculate birthdays for ELCs mid-season. He has an Oct 3 birthday and typically it's calculated as of Sep 15th of that season, which if so means he's 21 and it's 3 year, but if it's Aug 15 of 2018 he'd be signing for next season and would be 22 (2-year deal)

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Is there any chance that Gaudette changes his mind by Aug/Sep 2017 and actually come play for the Canucks? Or does NCAA rules not allow him to do that?

Wondering out loud.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Is there any chance that Gaudette changes his mind by Aug/Sep 2017 and actually come play for the Canucks? Or does NCAA rules not allow him to do that?

Wondering out loud.

He can and could have signed at any time after being drafted. The only thing that changes if he signs a pro contract is that he's no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017

Wondering out loud.

he could but once he played a game he couldn't go back to the NCAA

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It seems crazy to me the way that posters still continue to read into cliched stock answers (that are basically a coached prerequisite) in player interviews as any indication of what they're likely to do.

In fact, if you couldn't find an example of anything that notes that he's happy to be with the organization, that would be so wildly out of the ordinary that it would be closer to clear indication that he's going to leave :laugh:

Crazy to me that him saying positive things about Vancouver and it's fans should not be taken as positive news. How cynical would one need to be for this not to be good. Saying good things is at best neutral? Wtf.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Crazy to me that him saying positive things about Vancouver and it's fans should not be taken as positive news. How cynical would one need to be for this not to be good. Saying good things is at best neutral? Wtf.
When the default expectation/prerequisite for what to say about a team/city when asked, in order to not get yourself into trouble/make negative headlines is to say something positive and be as charitable as possible, absolutely, it's a neutral comment to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that he doesn't like the city or making assumptions one way or another, but how gullible does one have to be to think there's substance to these types of comments?

It's like re-assuring yourself after a loss with "Well, he said that we needed to give a 60 minute effort in the pre-game interview, so I'll take that as evidence that they were well prepared for this game. How cynical would you have to be to not think that's relevant?"

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
When the default expectation/prerequisite for what to say about a team/city when asked, in order to not get yourself into trouble/make negative headlines is to say something positive and be as charitable as possible, absolutely, it's a neutral comment to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that he doesn't like the city or making assumptions one way or another, but how gullible does one have to be to think there's substance to these types of comments?

It's like re-assuring yourself after a loss with "Well, he said that we needed to give a 60 minute effort in the pre-game interview, so I'll take that as evidence that they were well prepared for this game. How cynical would you have to be to not think that's relevant?"

Ya, bulletin-board material is antithetical to hockey DNA, as all of us know so well. So expect bromides
even from newly-drafted or unsigned players. However, cynical though I am, the conventional responses still
make me feel better . . . even though I'm a guy who lived in Manhattan for ten years during its darkest period
and you think you see through every scam there is.

My money is on Gaudette playing the season and then burning an ELC year when it's over. He gets to
play perhaps the major scoring role, play with his buddies, hang with his girlfriend, get stronger,
perhaps avoid a season in Utica, and then get suddenly rich. We passionate fans see Vancouver as
a disaster, but I think for draftees and free agents it looks a little different. Guys want to step in and play.
Well the Canucks need scoring, and younger players, big time. Word is out about all that. There's a new young coach.
It's a fresh start (haha supposedly). Talent is beginning to trickle in, such as Boeser who was an NCAA god as all the college guys are aware.
He got the red-carpet treatment, and so will Gaudette. I don't know how well the college guys know Dahlen or Goldobin or whoever the 2017
#5 overall will be, but their advisors do, and they'll put out the word that Vancouver has basically nowhere to go but up, and needs fresh young
talent to join the several young blue chips they've got here already. It's a good story for young players, even if we fans are forking sick to death
of the spinning wheels and empty heads in management.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I hope 701 is right and kinda makes sense reading that last bit about the time and oppurtunity for young guys like them. Other thing is Stecher signed here and he knew what a dumpster fire this organization is right now and still did it. Probably would not of played this much in any other team. Maybe theres some truth to that and guys like Gaudette are sure things but i guess we wont know til it happens and we gotta learn to be patient

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully they can get Gaudette signed when his college season at Northeastern is done and into the NHL lineup for a few games at the tail-end of next season....sort of an audition like Boeser and Molino this past year.

Reality is, Gaudette is likely far closer to helping them down the middle than anybody they draft in June.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
gaudette will come at a perfect time to center the 3rd line after the sedin contracts expires and sutter will be centering the 4th line where he belongs.

the problem is we need a top end elite 1C and dman.

lets see who we get this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad