Player Discussion: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - 4, 24, 65, 95, 107, 125, 155, 185

Status
Not open for further replies.

91Kadri91*

again, i repeat myself. This franchise, if we want to contend someday, we need players who can anchor their own lines. A lot of people are throwning names of compliemntary players (colin white for example, he benefited immensely from bracco/matthews)

He didn't play (directly) with Matthews (my mistake with Bracco), and you could same the same thing about Larkin (with Eichel) who looks like a fantastic prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:

91Kadri91*

Stealing this post from another thread because I think its a great post

Thanks for the shout-out, but all the credit goes to The Projection Project (they have twitter for any of you who have it; follow them).

I really like how Svechnikov looks using this projection model, especially with how scouts perceive him (high talent but high risk). Sprong also looks really good, especially considering how high his perceived potential is.

Also, I really, really want the Leafs to pick Schemitsch at 95 if he's available.

91Kadri91*

MVS more likely to be a NHL calibre player than Hanifin? I've never seen MVS is he actually that good?

There needs to be context, too, and it's actually mentioned in the article. MVS played centre as well, so his point production was particularly high, making his NHLe very high. Also, the sample size is particularly small for Hanifin (37 games), and his post-WJC production (16 points in 20 games) would give him the highest NHLe of any defenseman.

The projection model is still in the early stages, but it's very promising nonetheless.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Yakov Trenin, 6'2'' and 179 lbs, rookie from Russia, played in Q for Gatineau, was played as LW at first, but in last few months he took enormous number of faceoffs, in playoffs twice as much as next player on his team, and he was 52,5% in playoffs. He was moved at C in February, which was confirmed by guys on QMJHL board.

Interesting prospect, with ugly skating, but seemed really effective. Could be in the running for late 1st round, but hopefully he falls to our 3rd round pick.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sportsnet Final Draft Rankings 2015

1). Connor McDavid, C, Erie Otters (OHL) – 6-foot-1, 190 pounds
2). Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (NCAA) – 6-foot-2, 195 pounds
3). Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA) – 6-foot-2, 205 pounds
4). Dylan Strome, C, Erie Otters (OHL) – 6-foot-3, 190 pounds
5). Lawson Crouse, LW, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) – 6-foot-4, 210 pounds
6). Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 200 pounds
7). Mitchell Marner, RW/C, London Knights (OHL) – 5-foot-11, 165 pounds
8). Mikko Rantanen, F, TPS (FIN) — 6-foot-4, 210 pounds
9). Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 180 pounds
10). Zachary Werenski, D, University of Michigan Wolverines (NCAA) – 6-foot-2, 215 pounds

11). Oliver Kylington, D, Farjestad (SHL) – 6-foot-0, 180 pounds
12). Timo Meier, F, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL) – 6-foot-1, 210 pounds
13). Nick Merkley, RW/C, Kelowna Rockets (WHL) — 5-foot-10, 185 pounds
14). Pavel Zacha, C, Sarnia Sting (OHL) – 6-foot-3, 215 pounds
15). Travis Konecny, LW/C, Ottawa 67s (OHL) – 5-foot-10, 180 pounds
16). Filip Chlapik, C, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) – 6-foot-1, 185 pounds
17). Evgeni Svechnikov, LW, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL) – 6-foot-3, 205 pounds
18). Kyle Connor, C, Youngstown Phantoms (USHL) – 6-foot-1, 175 pounds
19). Jakub Zboril, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) – 6-foot-2, 185 pounds

20). Colin White, C, USNTDP (USHL) – 6-foot-0, 180 pounds
21). Jérémy Roy, D, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL) – 6-foot-0, 183 pounds
22). Daniel Sprong, RW, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) – 6-foot-0, 190 pounds
23). Thomas Chabot, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) – 6-foot-2, 180 pounds
24). Brock Boeser, RW, Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) – 6-foot-1, 190 pounds
25). Paul Bittner, LW, Portland Winterhawks (WHL) – 6-foot-4, 195 pounds
26). Brandon Carlo, D Tri City Americans (WHL) – 6-foot-5, 185 pounds
27). Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George Cougars (WHL) – 6-foot-1, 180 pounds
28). Jordan Greenway - LW, U.S. National U18 Team (USDP) – 6-foot-5, 223 pounds
29). Vince Dunn, D, Niagara IceDogs (OHL) – 6-foot-0, 185 pounds
30). Jake DeBrusk, LW, Swift Current Broncos (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 175 pounds

Some surprises on the last as Zacha @ 14 behind Kylington @ 11 and Kyle Connor @ #18 are some of the ones that vary from my list.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There needs to be context, too, and it's actually mentioned in the article. MVS played centre as well, so his point production was particularly high, making his NHLe very high. Also, the sample size is particularly small for Hanifin (37 games), and his post-WJC production (16 points in 20 games) would give him the highest NHLe of any defenseman.

The projection model is still in the early stages, but it's very promising nonetheless.

Yeah I noticed. If I had done those lists, I would probably have excluded players with so small cohort size, especially with MVS and his ice time as center.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sportsnet Final Draft Rankings 2015

Some surprises on the last as Zacha @ 14 behind Kylington @ 11 and Kyle Connor @ #18 are some of the ones that vary from my list.

Sprong may be around at 24. Like his game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regarding Crouse - he's never scored at a noticeable rate at any level of play (at least for what we have online records for). I think anyone who think's he's suddenly going to develop top six scoring rates when facing the best defenders and goalies in the world in the NHL will be in for a disappointment.

He's a good player, I wouldn't hate it if the leaf's drafted him (assuming they get another first in the 10-20 range), but really can't see how a team could pass on guys like Barzal, Provorov, Rantanen, Marner, Zacha, Werenski, ect for him. I suspect he's going to be the 'surprise drop' at the draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If anything, Sportsnet list just confirms this is a deep draft. Connor at #18 is ridiculous IMO.

Crouse at 5 is not an outlier based on Mac's, ISS and CSB lists.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 22m 22 minutes ago

Pronman has D.Strome going to the Leafs with the 4th pick with Marner going 3rd to Arizona. Starting to feel that's how things will unfold

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Regarding Crouse - he's never scored at a noticeable rate at any level of play (at least for what we have online records for). I think anyone who think's he's suddenly going to develop top six scoring rates when facing the best defenders and goalies in the world in the NHL will be in for a disappointment.

He's a good player, I wouldn't hate it if the leaf's drafted him (assuming they get another first in the 10-20 range), but really can't see how a team could pass on guys like Barzal, Provorov, Rantanen, Marner, Zacha, Werenski, ect for him. I suspect he's going to be the 'surprise drop' at the draft.

I actually believe that Crouse will be top6 wing. I believe he'll be someone like Landeskog, so 60points and really good D. If we had another top10 pick and we had drafted C at 4OA, I would love to take Crouse.

In my eyes, he's smaller gamble than Zacha, who could develop into a superstar, but on the other hand has much higher risk not ever reaching his average potential, that's top6 player.

At the moment I have Crouse with Rantanen(he'll be better offensively, but not so good on D) at 8th. After McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, Barzal, Strome, Provorov. And before Connor, Werenski, Zacha, Meier.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

When Sam Bennett returned to Kingston from injury Crouse put up 7-8-15 points in his last 11 games had Bennett played more than just 11 games Crouse would have put up much bigger numbers.

Scouts evaluate play and not base their evaluation on points only particularly on lower scoring teams. Leadership, physicality, hockey IQ, skating, 2-way play, size, strength etc etc all factors going into BPA analysis.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
When Sam Bennett returned to Kingston from injury Crouse put up 7-8-15 points in his last 11 games had Bennett played more than just 11 games Crouse would have put up much bigger numbers.

Scouts evaluate play and not base their evaluation on points only particularly on lower scoring teams. Leadership, physicality, hockey IQ, skating, 2-way play, size, strength etc etc all factors going into BPA analysis.

So you're saying he needs an almost elite prospect that was clearly to good for the OHL to have a higher contribution offensively?

Doesn't scream like a top 5 prospect to me. I like Crouse but unfortunately, his upside is of a prospect that doesn't really look like it will be of a top end player. I'm sure he'll contribute very well at the NHL level though.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia

That is correct. Therefore I can see Crouse as top6 winger, more likely 1st line winger, that does all the dirty work and contributes as much as he can. He would look great with Nylander I believe, William doing his magic and Crouse putting pucks into the net.

Crouse won't be Ovechkin, where he'll be main playmaker on his line, but I believe he can be Landeskog or someone similar, with great defense and also some scoring touch.

He could be good complimentary piece, maybe better JVR(30+30 guy, but Crouse seems to be really good in defensive part of game).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If anything, Sportsnet list just confirms this is a deep draft. Connor at #18 is ridiculous IMO.

Crouse at 5 is not an outlier based on Mac's, ISS and CSB lists.

True. And i certainly don't think that Crouse at #4 is an outlier - he's high on a bunch of lists. I just can't say I agree with them.

It's going to be an exciting draft day, to say the least.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So you're saying he needs an almost elite prospect that was clearly to good for the OHL to have a higher contribution offensively?

Doesn't scream like a top 5 prospect to me. I like Crouse but unfortunately, his upside is of a prospect that doesn't really look like it will be of a top end player. I'm sure he'll contribute very well though.

Playmaking centers drive a teams offense thus the "strength down the middle" team building strategy.

Kingston was 18th of 20 teams in goals for and one of the lowest scoring teams in the OHL.

If your comparing a player on that verses London (+100 goals) and Erie (+130 goals) then you can't punish the player on points on a much lower scoring team when projecting him as a NHL.

Carolina might be deciding how he will look playing wing beside Eric Staal not concerned how many goals he scored being centered by Juho Lammikko as a junior. ;)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 22m 22 minutes ago

Pronman has D.Strome going to the Leafs with the 4th pick with Marner going 3rd to Arizona. Starting to feel that's how things will unfold
I really hope not. Strome has hit "I'd prefer not drafting him" territory for me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Playmaking centers drive a teams offense thus the "strength down the middle" team building strategy.

Kingston was 18th of 20 teams in goals for and one of the lowest scoring teams in the OHL.

If your comparing a player on that verses London (+100 goals) and Erie (+130 goals) then you can't punish the player on points on a much lower scoring team when projecting him as a NHL.

Carolina might be deciding how he will look playing wing beside Eric Staal not concerned how many goals he scored being centered by Juho Lammikko as a junior. ;)

Because he didn't have a great supporting cast or a playmaking center, his offensive game was fairly underutilized? It's a big cop out to me. At no point when I saw him play multiple times that I saw a player that was ready to explode offensively but just needed that one player to help out.

If you're going to be drafted top 5 in a very deep draft, you better have the ability to drive offence and to do more then simply be a poster boy of intangibles and physicality with above average overall skill level.

We want a special player at #4. A player that can generate offence and be 'the' player on his line, not one that supports it. Crouse is a supporting player and needs to have that special player next to him so that he can look good, sort to speak. I like Crouse but to me he's in that #8-13 spot where his overall game is great along with great size and a good skater, but the skill level is still fairly questionable and quite frankly, the ceiling isn't overly high.

Marner and Strome are the kind of players that will dominate and drive the offence on their line. Elite skill level. That's the skill level you want from your top 5 player or your top prospects.

Crouse, Barzal and other players around the upside bracket are nowhere near that kind of skill level and upside, at least to me. They are good prospects with intriguing potential and who knows what really happens but I just don't see the Crouse hype.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Because he didn't have a great supporting cast or a playmaking center, his offensive game was fairly underutilized? It's a big cop out to me. At no point when I saw him play multiple times that I saw a player that was ready to explode offensively but just needed that one player to help out.

If you're going to be drafted top 5 in a very deep draft, you better have the ability to drive offence and to do more then simply be a poster boy of intangibles and physicality with above average overall skill level.

We want a special player at #4. A player that can generate offence and be 'the' player on his line, not one that supports it. Crouse is a supporting player and needs to have that special player next to him so that he can look good, sort to speak. I like Crouse but to me he's in that #8-13 spot where his overall game is great along with great size and a good skater, but the skill level is still fairly questionable and quite frankly, the ceiling isn't overly high.

Marner and Strome are the kind of players that will dominate and drive the offence on their line. Elite skill level. That's the skill level you want from your top 5 player or your top prospects.

Crouse, Barzal and other players around the upside bracket are nowhere near that kind of skill level and upside, at least to me. They are good prospects with intriguing potential and who knows what really happens but I just don't see the Crouse hype.

Yeah, i just don't see the hype with him either. He comes across as a "high risk, low reward" type, particulalry when talking about him in the top 5/10 of the draft. Because, what's his upside really? Even his biggest supporters seem to think he needs a better offensive player to be paired with him for him to produce.

With the #4 pick, I want a player that will dominate the ice, and drive his line on his own, not a passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad