Player Discussion: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - 4, 24, 65, 95, 107, 125, 155, 185

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman-Jones pairing would have been good for the future there. I think TB will regret that decision.

i agree, BUT we are discussing this with the benefit of knowing how things turned out. How could yzerman know that he would have been able to trade st louis for a fortune, callahand was going to produce offensively, johnson would come out of left field, palat, etc, etc. at the time yzerman took drouin i think he was looking for a st louis replacement.

either way, i think it is a bit premature to say that jones > drouin. give it another ~2 seasons and we can revisit this.

as far as the leafs are concerned, we need everthing. of the 3 players who reasonably could go at 4 i think hanifin is the most likely to reach his potential. imo hanifin will be a better defenseman at the nhl then strome/marner will be centers.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Order of preference excluding the big 2:

3. Hanifin
4. Strome
5. Marner
6. Zacha
7. Werenski
8. Rantanen
9. Provorov
10. Crouse
11. Barzal
12. Meier
13. Connor
14. Konecny
15. Sprong
16. Ek Eriksson
17. Zboril
18. Chabot
19. Merkley
20. Harkins
21. Kylington
22. Carlsson
23. Bittner
24. Roy
25. Larsson
26. White

Lands us a pretty prime looking prospect still at Nashvilles pick :)

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
i agree, BUT we are discussing this with the benefit of knowing how things turned out. How could yzerman know that he would have been able to trade st louis for a fortune, callahand was going to produce offensively, johnson would come out of left field, palat, etc, etc. at the time yzerman took drouin i think he was looking for a st louis replacement.

either way, i think it is a bit premature to say that jones > drouin. give it another ~2 seasons and we can revisit this.

as far as the leafs are concerned, we need everthing. of the 3 players who reasonably could go at 4 i think hanifin is the most likely to reach his potential. imo hanifin will be a better defenseman at the nhl then strome/marner will be centers.

No one knows how this has turned out yet. Drouin and Jones have been in the league for a miniscule amount of time, and no one knows how they'll look 5 years down the road. Both are blue chippers and nothing more.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada

3. Hanifin
4. Strome
5. Marner
6. Zacha
7. Werenski
8. Rantanen
9. Provorov
10. Crouse
11. Barzal
12. Meier
13. Connor
14. Konecny
15. Sprong
16. Ek Eriksson
17. Zboril
18. Chabot
19. Merkley
20. Harkins
21. Kylington
22. Carlsson
23. Bittner
24. Roy
25. Larsson
26. White

My target for the Nashville pick is either Carlo, Kylington or Roy in that order. I don't believe White will be there but if he is my ideaology of building from the blue line out can be thrown down the drain. White IMO unfortunately won't be there at 22-24.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
No one knows how this has turned out yet. Drouin and Jones have been in the league for a miniscule amount of time, and no one knows how they'll look 5 years down the road. Both are blue chippers and nothing more.
While I agree with you on almost all of this (it's way too early to call who is better, granted jones is looking better), Jones is already a solidified top 4 dmen on Nashville. He's beyond blue chipper at this point. He's a young dmen with top pairing potential.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I'm surprised people are so high on Carlo still. Obviously his size stands out, and he's definitely very raw. However, there's no way he's still a 1st rounder IMO. I have him below Juulsen and around Pilon for WHL defensemen. I would easily take Juulsen above Carlo. Carlo just hasn't showed consistent growth this year to warrant a 1st round pick, same with Bittner. These 2 kids always leave me wanting more.

Honestly I was more impressed and I'm more hopeful of the NHL potential of Wotherspoon than I am of Carlo.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Based on what is there...

We need to trade up with this pick. There is a drop off in talent at 20 and maybe even at 15. Toronto has plenty of B type prospects already. Leivo,Gauthier,Finn,Johnsson,Brown,Loov,Granberg,Leipsic,Percy,Valiev etc. We need to shoot higher and try get a Barzal rather than another top 4 Dman or another good checker.

With Percy,Loov,Granberg,Valiev,Nilsson and Finn we don't need another 5-6-7th D man.

Dubas implied, skill first, worry about getting size later.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
We need to trade up with this pick. There is a drop off in talent at 20 and maybe even at 15. Toronto has plenty of B type prospects already. Leivo,Gauthier,Finn,Johnsson,Brown,Loov,Granberg,Leipsic,Percy,Valiev etc. We need to shoot higher and try get a Barzal rather than another top 4 Dman or another good checker.

With Percy,Loov,Granberg,Valiev,Nilsson and Finn we don't need another 5-6-7th D man.

I don't think trading up would be to beneficial. Daniel Sprong is supposed to be around the Nashville pick and that kid has top 6 written all over him. He's a poor mans kessel really, great offensive ability though he's lacking in the defensive side of the game. He can easily grow into it and he could be a perennial 30 goal scorer.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

3. Hanifin
4. Strome
5. Marner
6. Zacha
7. Werenski
8. Rantanen
9. Provorov
10. Crouse
11. Barzal
12. Meier
13. Connor
14. Konecny
15. Sprong
16. Ek Eriksson
17. Zboril
18. Chabot
19. Merkley
20. Harkins
21. Kylington
22. Carlsson
23. Bittner
24. Roy
25. Larsson
26. White

I'd take Jeremy Roy over both Jakub Zbori and Thomas Chabot.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

If we want a Barzal we'd have to turn that into another top 10 pick and that'll be hard to do.

I don't have any issue picking wherever the second pick ends up. I don't really see the drop off at 20. Should be able to get a really good prospect there. The issue isn't where we are between 15-25, but rather what kind of prospect we pick. The key is to go for guys with high ceilings and take our swings. You can find excellent players out of the top 10, you just have to pick the right prospects.

But sure if we can pick up another high pick by moving guys out I'm all for that.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I know some posters have already discussed this stupid trade rumor by who else? - Eklund, than again I read the same rumor on Jeff Langridge at bleachersreport.com (again his sourse is also Eklund). I never bothered to comment initially as it does not make any sense, but let us examine this one more time, you comments are most welcome

To Carolina
- Kessel
- Kadri
- 3rd round pick

To Toronto
- 5th OA
- Semin

First of all Kessel himself is worth more than this 5th OA, no matter whether it's Hanifin, Marner, Strome or xyz (they are all still prospects and haven't proven any thing to be traded one on one for a elite established player), and than you give up Kadri and a 3rd round round pick for who? Alex Semin

Even though Kessel has gone through a rough season and I really do not have go into any details but Leafs should wait as long as they have to until the right deal is there (I don't care even if we have to). The 2nd part of this trade is even more laughable i.e Kadri and 3rd rounder for Semin. Kadri have already proven to be a legit 2nd line center with a room to grow and is still young. With your 3rd round pick even though there is no guarantee but you can still pick a serviceable asset. Semin used to be a good winger, but now his team is over and his career is downhill and he is making $7 M with 3 more years

I don't think if there is any truth to this rumor, and Leafs would even entertain this kind of a proposal

I know I have posted this on another thread as well

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

3. Hanifin
4. Strome
5. Marner
6. Zacha
7. Werenski
8. Rantanen
9. Provorov
10. Crouse
11. Barzal
12. Meier
13. Connor
14. Konecny
15. Sprong
16. Ek Eriksson
17. Zboril
18. Chabot
19. Merkley
20. Harkins
21. Kylington
22. Carlsson
23. Bittner
24. Roy
25. Larsson
26. White

One player you left out and one I like very much Yevgeni Svechnikov, he should go somewhere near the middle of the 1st round.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I know some posters have already discussed this stupid trade rumor by who else? - Eklund, than again I read the same rumor on Jeff Langridge at bleachersreport.com (again his sourse is also Eklund). I never bothered to comment initially as it does not make any sense, but let us examine this one more time, you comments are most welcome

To Carolina
- Kessel
- Kadri
- 3rd round pick

To Toronto
- 5th OA
- Semin

First of all Kessel himself is worth more than this 5th OA, no matter whether it's Hanifin, Marner, Strome or xyz (they are all still prospects and haven't proven any thing to be traded one on one for a elite established player), and than you give up Kadri and a 3rd round round pick for who? Alex Semin

Even though Kessel has gone through a rough season and I really do not have go into any details but Leafs should wait as long as they have to until the right deal is there (I don't care even if we have to). The 2nd part of this trade is even more laughable i.e Kadri and 3rd rounder for Semin. Kadri have already proven to be a legit 2nd line center with a room to grow and is still young. With your 3rd round pick even though there is no guarantee but you can still pick a serviceable asset. Semin used to be a good winger, but now his team is over and his career is downhill and he is making $7 M with 3 more years

I don't think if there is any truth to this rumor, and Leafs would even entertain this kind of a proposal

I know I have posted this on another thread as well

Be down on Kessel all you want, but he's easily worth that pick by himself without Semin coming back and adding Kadri and a 3rd rounder on top of that. You either get the pick for him alone or you keep him.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
When fans of the Anaheim Ducks watch games such as Thursday night’s thrashing of the Calgary Flames in Game 1 of their playoff series, there’s a good chance they thank their lucky stars that Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry are under contract for the next four seasons. (Oh, and if you happen to have both of them in a playoff pool, you’re probably clicking your heels together today as well. Click-click.)

They’re also probably pretty happy that Perry had such a poor showing in the CHL Prospects Game in 2003 and that Getzlaf was likened to “a poor man’s Patrick Marleau,” in THN’s Draft Preview that year. Because if not, Getzlaf would not have tumbled to 19th and Perry to 28th in that year’s draft and the Ducks would not have had the chance to take them.

Getzlaf and Perry, meanwhile, provide perfect examples of the vagaries of scouting. Back in 2003, scouts saw in Perry a player who had a lot of competitiveness, but whose skating needed work. And if you can believe it, some scouts were miffed that he didn’t seem terribly interested in the CHL Prospects Game that year. “You wonder when a guy doesn’t show up with all of us in the stands,” one scout was quoted as saying in THN’s Draft Preview that year, a publication in which Perry was ranked as the 29th-best prospect.

Getzlaf, who was ranked ninth in Draft Preview, was described by scouts as a guy who, “goes to the net with reckless abandon,” which doesn’t exactly fit his profile as an NHL player. Like Perry, scouts were concerned about his skating. Aside from comparing him to Marleau, we also had this to say about him: “Others believe he’s more in the Brad Isbister mold.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/a...ey-perry-best-1-2-draft-punch-in-nhl-history/

Found this interesting. Perry is kind of reminding me of somebody from this draft. I just can't seem to think of his name. hmmmmm

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
When fans of the Anaheim Ducks watch games such as Thursday night’s thrashing of the Calgary Flames in Game 1 of their playoff series, there’s a good chance they thank their lucky stars that Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry are under contract for the next four seasons. (Oh, and if you happen to have both of them in a playoff pool, you’re probably clicking your heels together today as well. Click-click.)

They’re also probably pretty happy that Perry had such a poor showing in the CHL Prospects Game in 2003 and that Getzlaf was likened to “a poor man’s Patrick Marleau,” in THN’s Draft Preview that year. Because if not, Getzlaf would not have tumbled to 19th and Perry to 28th in that year’s draft and the Ducks would not have had the chance to take them.

Getzlaf and Perry, meanwhile, provide perfect examples of the vagaries of scouting. Back in 2003, scouts saw in Perry a player who had a lot of competitiveness, but whose skating needed work. And if you can believe it, some scouts were miffed that he didn’t seem terribly interested in the CHL Prospects Game that year. “You wonder when a guy doesn’t show up with all of us in the stands,” one scout was quoted as saying in THN’s Draft Preview that year, a publication in which Perry was ranked as the 29th-best prospect.

Getzlaf, who was ranked ninth in Draft Preview, was described by scouts as a guy who, “goes to the net with reckless abandon,” which doesn’t exactly fit his profile as an NHL player. Like Perry, scouts were concerned about his skating. Aside from comparing him to Marleau, we also had this to say about him: “Others believe he’s more in the Brad Isbister mold.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/a...ey-perry-best-1-2-draft-punch-in-nhl-history/

Found this interesting. Perry is kind of reminding me of somebody from this draft. I just can't seem to think of his name. hmmmmm

I'm near positive no scout is taking what the hockey news says to seriously. If what the hockey news says is all it takes for players to rise and fall, well... Not that the points were bad but they had question marks and they fell, not much to read into tbh.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Good post. Anaheim changed their team for a decade when they drafted Getzlaf and Perry. There were questions marks about their point totals, skating, and skill heading into that draft. Reminds me of what they are saying about 1 or 2 prospects this draft.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
My want list:

3. Noah Hanifin
4. Dylan Strome
5. Mitch Marner
6. Pavel Zacha
7. Ivan Provorov
8. Zach Werenski
9. Mathew Barzal
10. Mikko Rantanen
11. Kyle Connor
12. Lawson Crouse
13. Denis Guryanov
14. Timo Meier
15. Joel Eriksson Ek
16. Thomas Chabot
17. Colin White
18. Oliver Kylington
19. Jansen Harkins
20. Travis Konecny
21. Daniel Sprong
22. Yevgeni Svechnikov
23. Jeremy Bracco
24. Ilya Samsonov
25. Nick Merkley
26. Jakub Zboril
27. Jake DeBrusk
28. Anthony Beauvillier
29. Vince Dunn
30. Noah Juulsen

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Be down on Kessel all you want, but he's easily worth that pick by himself without Semin coming back and adding Kadri and a 3rd rounder on top of that. You either get the pick for him alone or you keep him.

Phil Kessel at 8 mil is a hard sell for the 5th. I'd be reluctant to trade Strome or Barzal for Kessel straight up.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

3. Hanifin
4. Strome
5. Marner
6. Zacha
7. Werenski
8. Rantanen
9. Provorov
10. Crouse
11. Barzal
12. Meier
13. Connor
14. Konecny
15. Sprong
16. Ek Eriksson
17. Zboril
18. Chabot
19. Merkley
20. Harkins
21. Kylington
22. Carlsson
23. Bittner
24. Roy
25. Larsson
26. White

I'll play too. Order of preference:

3/4/5. Strome/Hanifin/Marner honestly don't care
6. Zach Werenski
7. Mathew Barzal
8. Ivan Provorov
9. Lawson Crouse
10. Pavel Zacha
11. Kyle Connor
12. Mikko Rantanen
13. Thomas Chabot
14. Travis Konecny
15. Timo Meier
16. Jeremy Roy
17. Colin White
18. Paul Bittner
19. Jeremy Bracco
20. Jakub Zboril
21. Yevgeni Svechnikov
22. Nick Merkley
23. Jansen Harkins
24. Denis Guryanov
25. Oliver Kylington
26. Daniel Sprong
27. Brock Boeser
28. Anthony Beauvillier
29. Joel Eriksson Ek
30. Vince Dunn

Think Chabot could be this year's Travis Sanheim and has top-pairing potential. He's my first choice for the NSH pick.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'm surprised people are so high on Carlo still. Obviously his size stands out, and he's definitely very raw. However, there's no way he's still a 1st rounder IMO. I have him below Juulsen and around Pilon for WHL defensemen. I would easily take Juulsen above Carlo. Carlo just hasn't showed consistent growth this year to warrant a 1st round pick, same with Bittner. These 2 kids always leave me wanting more.

Honestly I was more impressed and I'm more hopeful of the NHL potential of Wotherspoon than I am of Carlo.

You're not the only one. I like that he's 6'5, and moves pretty well, but outside of that, I'm "meh" on him.

I like Roy and Chabot, as far as D-men are concerned in the 20's. Vince Dunn is someone a few posters have opened my eyes to, as well. He can really command the play from the point. I don't think he's a reach at the Nashville pick, either.

snizzbone*

Phil Kessel at 8 mil is a hard sell for the 5th. I'd be reluctant to trade Strome or Barzal for Kessel straight up.

But what about Kessel for 5th + Semin? You only gain 1 mil and a few years in cap.. get rid of 7m of useless cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad