Prospect Info: Play Bad for Ekblad? (the 2014 draft thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornswaggle

Mar 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'm surprised that Nick Ritchie isn't getting more attention. Big, strong winger who seems unafraid to get a little physical. If the Canes drop a few spots I think he would be a great fit with Skinner/Lindholm. I have a bit of a draft crush after watching this highlights video.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I doubt these dorks have it in their heads to "tank" and they shouldn't of course. I hate this tanking mentality anyhow. the team should do the very best they possibly can drafting and developing no matter where they fall and should be going out there every single game busting their ***** and putting on the best show possible, period. they owe that much to the fans and anything less should be considered to be unacceptable.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I doubt these dorks have it in their heads to "tank" and they shouldn't of course. I hate this tanking mentality anyhow. the team should do the very best they possibly can drafting and developing no matter where they fall and should be going out there every single game busting their ***** and putting on the best show possible, period. they owe that much to the fans and anything less should be considered to be unacceptable.

I agree 100%, I think most of us are just at the point where we cheer our ***** of for wins, but aren't necessarily disappointed with losses :laugh:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The good thing about this draft for me is that it's about 10 deep with guys who could be impact players. Not entirely unlike last season where 7 of the 10 made the immediate jump (Drouin, Nurse, and Horvat as exceptions)

We could really use a natural winger and Ritchie does fit that perspective. I think if we're in striking range for him, he'd be a solid pick for us. Size and skill is something we need and if Nichushkin hadn't been Russian, it's probable that was the route we'd have taken last season. Talk about a kid who is physically ready... Ritchie might even be a meaner version of Nichushkin. I think the chances are quite strong that he sneaks into the conversation around the 4th-5th slot. There just aren't that many kids scoring 40 goals and picking up around 150 solid penalty minutes in the OHL as draft eligible players once the season is done. Something like a Nathan Horton type player with a wicked release on his wrist shot.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I've read some good stuff about Ehlers lately. His stock seems to be rising.

He's fast, has great hands, and is incredibly offensively talented. I just have trouble with guys on great teams in draft eligible seasons. How much is Drouin's presence aiding him? Plus, he's incredibly slightly built. Is he more than a Grabner? Also tough to gauge guys from nontraditional countries. No questioning the skill there though. I'm just not sure if he fits the image of what we need as much as a few other guys that could be available in the range.

Plus, the eye test bothers me a bit in terms of how many guys we see with tools like his actually producing with them in the NHL. Is the toughness there? He's going to be a magnificent gamble for a team outside the Top 5, but I don't think he goes higher than 7th or 8th. Two players that are world class talents playing together in junior can make for some amazing looking statistics.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He's fast, has great hands, and is incredibly offensively talented. I just have trouble with guys on great teams in draft eligible seasons. How much is Drouin's presence aiding him? Plus, he's incredibly slightly built. Is he more than a Grabner? Also tough to gauge guys from nontraditional countries. No questioning the skill there though. I'm just not sure if he fits the image of what we need as much as a few other guys that could be available in the range.

Plus, the eye test bothers me a bit in terms of how many guys we see with tools like his actually producing with them in the NHL. Is the toughness there? He's going to be a magnificent gamble for a team outside the Top 5, but I don't think he goes higher than 7th or 8th. Two players that are world class talents playing together in junior can make for some amazing looking statistics.

Not going to comment much on Ehlers.

Will just say, Drouin has very little factor in Ehlers succes. They are not even linemates.

Check out his thread and you will get a good picture of the kid.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1505805&page=19&highlight=ehlers

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
One of Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Fleury, Ritchie. Ehlers is really small, that's my concern. Fleury is underrated.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Not going to comment much on Ehlers.

Will just say, Drouin has very little factor in Ehlers succes. They are not even linemates.

Check out his thread and you will get a good picture of the kid.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1505805&page=19&highlight=ehlers

I know for certain just from boxscore checking that they've factored in on a number of goal together. Not sure how that happened if they don't play together, but the point does remain that having a superstar Junior player on your team slides matchups, and when your team is as deep and talented as Halifax it makes a difference.

I just don't know if I believe in his ability to overcome his obvious downsides.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I know for certain just from boxscore checking that they've factored in on a number of goal together. Not sure how that happened if they don't play together, but the point does remain that having a superstar Junior player on your team slides matchups, and when your team is as deep and talented as Halifax it makes a difference.

I just don't know if I believe in his ability to overcome his obvious downsides.

As I wrote, not interested in getting into a debate over Ehlers.

You are very welcome to check his thread. You will find all answers there :)

But ill give you this.

Ehlers and Jo play together on the 1st pp unit and also PK. And once in a while on the 1st line when feks. Gadoury has been injured.
Never said they did not play together, I said they were not regular linemates.

On most nights Ehlers plays on the 2 line with Andrews and Ryan.

I wouldn't just write this from checking boxscores, I watch him play frequently.
And I say, Jo benefits just as much from him. Ehlers has 12-13 1st stars and outshines Drouin on many nights aswell :)

Check his thread and you will see that his "obvious downside" is not really a hinder for him so far.

And im not getting into the whole Juggernaut team debate, has been discussed over and over again. And again you can check that on his thread :)

Im not trying to pull you down, just saying Ehlers has not benefited from Jo in the way many who do not watch them play think!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think Elhers goes in the top 5, I could see Ekblad dropping to 6th, maybe us?

Ekblad won't drop in my opinion. Especially past the Oilers. With the D crop this year being so razor thin, there might be a few teams trying to move up aggressively to secure him. I can't remember a draft with a Top 15 that was so sparse on defense. Ekblad and Fluery are really the only two you could consider before the middle of the round.

He's being picked apart because he's had eyes on him for so long. The same thing I said about MacKinnon last year and Tavares in his draft year. I won't go as far as to say that Ekblad will go 1st overall, but it would shock me 0% if he went 2nd regardless of who was picking. There are always going to be quick rising talents but scouts like a history of elite projection. The only thing that can hurt Ekblad is his skating and even that is being criticized too heavily.

And bet the farm that Reinhart goes 1st.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Ekblad won't drop in my opinion. Especially past the Oilers. With the D crop this year being so razor thin, there might be a few teams trying to move up aggressively to secure him. I can't remember a draft with a Top 15 that was so sparse on defense. Ekblad and Fluery are really the only two you could consider before the middle of the round.

He's being picked apart because he's had eyes on him for so long. The same thing I said about MacKinnon last year and Tavares in his draft year. I won't go as far as to say that Ekblad will go 1st overall, but it would shock me 0% if he went 2nd regardless of who was picking. There are always going to be quick rising talents but scouts like a history of elite projection. The only thing that can hurt Ekblad is his skating and even that is being criticized too heavily.

And bet the farm that Reinhart goes 1st.

But Edmonton needs a forward desperately...

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Which was exactly my point. Clearly that defense is a strong point that doesn't need to be bolstered with talent through the draft.

Why on earth would you draft defense when you have......

......Jeff Petry?.... Ummm.... I think they have a guy who's last name is Belov?.. Or something?... Not sure of his first name.... Ummm.... Schultz?... Oh wait he got traded.... And... Ummmm.....

Yeah, why would they draft defense?

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, we all know they're gonna draft a LW.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Pending who picks #1, I could see Bennett taken over Reinhart.....

It'll be a storyline leading up into the draft for sure, but no way it shakes out like that IMO. Scouting outlets wouldn't make any money if they didn't have some variance at the top of their lists. People like polarity. They like a different guy at the top spot on every list so they can validate who they think did a better job. But in truth, I would consider the chances that Reinhart and Ekblad don't go 1 and 2 to be dependent entirely upon where Buffalo finishes. Buffalo is going for a franchise forward, as they should. If they get jumped in the draft and Reinhart goes 1st overall, that's one of the few scenarios in which I could see Ekblad going 3rd.

As for the question about if the draft is weak or shallow this year, I would say it's a lot like last year. No generational talent type player as people like to hype, but good strong depth to the point that every non-playoff team should get a player that's going to be a true NHL contributor.

A lot of people are looking towards next year, already dubbed "The McDavid Draft", with great enthusiasm. There are a handful of guys in that group that could be stars. If we joined the 14 and 15 draft class, I would bet that 3 or 4 of the Top 5 picks would be from the 15 class.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Where are the dropoff points? Last year there was talk about the top 4 then the top 6/7, depending on how Nichushkin was valued. What's it like this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad