Prospect Info: Play Bad for Ekblad? (the 2014 draft thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not to mention the closest things we had coming in to a hot shot prospect were Lindholm and Murphy. Both have struggled, both have been good at times. But it's not like we were absolutely loaded with young depth talent just waiting for a chance like Tampa. Sad fact of the matter is that we had some drafts absolutely blow up in our face: 2005, 2008, 2009, could even argue 2006 as well but we didn't have a first that year and Cup >>>>>>>> good draft that year. 07 was a good draft at least, but that and trading alone don't fix the other 4 years.

You can't get basically NOTHING from half a decades worth of drafts and be effective long term. The good news is 10 and 11 are looking better, but how many times have we been in that song and dance over the years? 08 was looking like the draft to put us back on the map long term... until they hit the AHL and just stopped developing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the common ingredient is right there, "until they hit the ahl". Something has been off with our process over the years. They are either rushed right in or stall in the ahl. So few spend a year or two then play big roles. Dwyer and bellemore are the big successes right now and neither were expected to make it over the prospects they've climbed over. Of all the dmen we had lined up....bellemore? Who cares, we'll take him but we could use some more consistency out of that process and have needed it for years. Consistent role players out of the ahl can help keep the costs down. Actual productive players developed internally can change the face of a team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
-7 on a team that's -42? Yeah that's not that bad. Team USA was -52 last year as well FWIW, so a -17 for Wesley isn't entirely unexpected. Not good, but in context it's not bad at all. I wouldn't spend an early round pick on him, but kid wouldn't be a bad pick from say the 4th round on.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Certainly wouldn't shock me to see the Canes pick him in the 7th round or something like that if they think someone else might sign him. Pretty much a guarantee he'll be at prospect camp invitee if he doesn't get drafted by anyone though.

yohockey

Nov 14, 2008
Well we took Zach Boychuk before Erik Karlsson in that draft so we'll probably end up taking Glen Wesley's son before him in this draft.
Good point. Getting Wesley kid like getting another Stahl brother. His kid was -17 pNTDP and was basically asked to leave and now "earned" a spot with Plymouth Whalers. Give me a break. Take the last name off his jersey and he is playing pond hockey.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
7 - W Anton Karlsson - Frolunda Jrs (SWE) - 6'2/194
Nepotism opportunity #2! We have his brother Erik in the system already! You won't find a prospect in this draft with more mixed opinions on him. Great size already and one of the youngest players in the draft. VERY physical and competitive player, the only question is how high is his upside. Very likely to be a top 6 forward, but has the potential to be much more to some, and the potential to be a rather average top 6er to others. Has been more inconsistent then Kempe to date.

Think a bigger and more physical Dustin Brown, with better hands and less leadership.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Back to back losses, and dropping fast in the standings. The Canes have pretty much dug a hole they will never be able to get out of. Time to plan for a draft!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm thinking Josh Wesley in the 5th and Alex Peters, brother of Justin and Plymouth Whaler, in the 3rd. 36th NA skater, 6'3'' 207 defenseman.

Lock it in.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Back to back losses, and dropping fast in the standings. The Canes have pretty much dug a hole they will never be able to get out of. Time to plan for a draft!

Remember last time we said this and I said it was a bad idea and then we won 5 in a row and were in a playoff spot?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
New piece on Wesley on the Canes site: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701945

Seriously would not be shocked to see him be our 3rd or 4th round pick, whether it's a good pick or not is another debate.

Article makes him sound worth a 3rd rounder. No bias there right :sarcasm:

They're just preparing us for the inevitable.

Michael Smith did a good job, but he missed the obvious question, IMO. Keegan Lowe is in our system because he outright asked his dad *not* to draft him so he could get a fresh start somewhere other than Edmonton where he wouldn't be "Kevin Lowe's kid" forever. How does Josh feel about potentially being drafted by Carolina?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think that's a very valid question kev, but I also think that being "Kevin Lowe's kid" in Edmonton would likely be a pretty different kind of experience than being "Glen Wesley's kid" in Raleigh.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Imagine (if we somehow prefer Ekblad over Bennett and Draisaitl; and we draft in top 3) our right side of the defense in next ten years: Ekblad, Faulk and Murphy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad