Plans, Trades, and Automobiles: Fixing the Winged Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
kronner has earned his position is staying there.

LH-LH point man are not that effective usually.. especially when both of them are more of a shooters instead of QBs.

so smith getting as much pp time as boyle and producing as much isn't realistic imo.

Okay... But we don't have a single RH D other than Sproul. Smith doesn't need to supplant Kronwall.

I just don't get it. We're going to sign Dan Boyle when Smith is supposed to be a player in his same mold -- only he's been given no opportunity to be a point producing D. It's baffling.

Should have traded him three years ago when other teams were interested if we weren't going to use him. At this point we've reduced his stock to nothing. Wasted pick; wasted asset.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Okay... But we don't have a single RH D other than Sproul.

marchenko and jensen say hello.. though neither probably won't be pp QBs.

Smith doesn't need to supplant Kronwall.

I just don't get it. We're going to sign Dan Boyle when Smith is supposed to be a player in his same mold -- only he's been given no opportunity to be a point producing D. It's baffling.

Should have traded him three years ago when other teams were interested if we weren't going to use him. At this point we've reduced his stock to nothing. Wasted pick; wasted asset.

i wouldn't go that far. misused asset. not wasted. at least not yet, we'll see.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It wouldn't suprise me if Marchenko could. But I don't see him as a 1st pp kinda guy. More than likely a 2nd pp qb. He has good hockey sense, is smart, and has run one in the khl. He is a 2 way defender so he isn't a guy you have to worry about being stupid and the puck getting taken the other way.

Jensen also is interesting. Prior to last year he was known as a offensive player but someone/something tightened his reigns down last year and he played a more def-d role. Though as I say this he appears to be right know a fast skating third pairing defender. But if he got more looks at offense next year in gr he might suprise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It wouldn't suprise me if Marchenko could. But I don't see him as a 1st pp kinda guy. More than likely a 2nd pp qb. He has good hockey sense, is smart, and has run one in the khl. He is a 2 way defender so he isn't a guy you have to worry about being stupid and the puck getting taken the other way.

Jensen also is interesting. Prior to last year he was known as a offensive player but someone/something tightened his reigns down last year and he played a more def-d role. Though as I say this he appears to be right know a fast skating third pairing defender. But if he got more looks at offense next year in gr he might suprise.

I would be down for playing Marchenko on the 3rd pair and 2nd PP, to alleviate the lack of RH situation.

Unfortunately I think there will only be 1 spot up for grabs for kids, and Ouellet appears to be the odds-on favorite by all accounts.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I would be down for playing Marchenko on the 3rd pair and 2nd PP, to alleviate the lack of RH situation.

Unfortunately I think there will only be 1 spot up for grabs for kids, and Ouellet appears to be the odds-on favorite by all accounts.

Yeah I'm not gonna be happy if two kid d prospects aren't on the roster next year. But I can hope and pray we could trade kindl for like a 4-6th rounder to a team that needs a lh d.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
[..]

trade Kindl+Almqvist+3rd round 2014 -> BUF, Ehrhoff -> DET sign Boyle/Salo/Morris/M.Greene

GR
Callahan-Athanasiou-Pulkkinen
X/Mantha-Nestrasil-Frk
Hoggan-McIntyre-Grant
Campbell-Aubry-Tvrdon

Oullet-Sproul
Paetsch-Marchenko
Evans-Backman
Jensen,Nedomlel,Nicastro

Mrazek
Coreau
Paterson

Kindl+Almqvist+3rd round 2014 for Ehrhoff? Well, that's what I'd call optimistic.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I've always wished Holland would scoop up Rundblad for cheep. I really don't understand why Pheonix hangs onto him he just rotted in their AHL affiliate and was healthy scratched after his one way deal because there system doesn't allow offense and there is no room for his game with Yandel and OEL locking down 1&2. I think the wings could develop him into a premeir defender. He is kinda like a Nyquist story on the Defense side.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It all comes down to health with this team. If they can stay healthy, I think we can compete with most teams, no matter who we sign or trade for.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
What did he say? I feel like I missed something important.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-David-Legwand-Kyle-Quincey-not-likely-return

From the "How I'd Fix this team" thread. The quote that everyone is referring to:

Holland said 11-12 of the forward spots are already accounted for on the current roster -- not leaving much room for any more movement -- as well as six of the seven defensemen expected to be on the roster.

"We'll let the rest of the month of June play out," Holland said.

Of course, he said similar stuff last summer (as he always does) and went out, and for better or for worse, made some signings, so who knows what might go on.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Also from that article:

The Red Wings would be interested in re-signing defenseman Kyle Quincey to a short-term deal if the price was right. But defensemen will be at a premium in a thin free-agent class, so Quincey is sure to explore the market and likely get a better offer from another team.

Only if he gets rid of Kindl and Lashoff. Quincey will get more elsewhere, however.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
both short and long term?

byflugien instead of boyle

gilbert instead of lashoff/oullete

vrbata/moulson instead of alffie

kronwall-byflugien
dekeyser-gilbert
ericsson-marchenko

zetts-dats-vrbata
nyquist-weiss-franzen
jurco-sheahan-abby
miller-helm-glendening

Gilbert? gross. There is a reason the Edmonton Oilers (a team desperate for capable dmen) traded him. That will by KFQ all over again, except we can sign him instead of trading our first for him. Easy pass.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Mantha is neither a sea creature nor a Godzilla monster. Discuss.

destroy.jpg

:laugh:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-David-Legwand-Kyle-Quincey-not-likely-return

From the "How I'd Fix this team" thread. The quote that everyone is referring to:

Of course, he said similar stuff last summer (as he always does) and went out, and for better or for worse, made some signings, so who knows what might go on.

Why does he say these things to the media? It comes off as so lazy. We've already decided 95% our team for next year and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet?

Kronwall
Ericsson
DeKeyser
Smith
Kindl
Lashoff

Even if you add an UFA defenseman, that defense is still laughable.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Not too mention, Boyle kept falling down the depth chart on a semi mediocre blue line in San Jose. He faced pretty sheltered minutes of the season and still put up negative corsi numbers. Signing Boyle would be a mistake, I'd much rather have a kid in place. And if we must have a one or two year stop gap, Tom Gilbert is much better than Dan Boyle at this point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why does he say these things to the media? It comes off as so lazy. We've already decided 95% our team for next year and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet?

Kronwall
Ericsson
DeKeyser
Smith
Kindl
Lashoff

Even if you add an UFA defenseman, that defense is still laughable.

I would hope it's at least a bit of posturing saying that, "hey, we might make a move but we don't have to so we're not going to over pay to trade/sign your guy." That has to be the hope, at least.

Also from that article:

Only if he gets rid of Kindl and Lashoff. Quincey will get more elsewhere, however.

I have no real idea what Quincey did to inspire us to re-sign him. Holland needs to move on from these guys that came up way short this past season.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Gilbert? gross. There is a reason the Edmonton Oilers (a team desperate for capable dmen) traded him. That will by KFQ all over again, except we can sign him instead of trading our first for him. Easy pass.

This is possible. This was his best season ever though, both points and corsi wise. Could be an anomaly. Would be better than Boyle however. But I'd still rather go the kid route. Ouellet seems NHL ready to me.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This is possible. This was his best season ever though, both points and corsi wise. Could be an anomaly. Would be better than Boyle however. But I'd still rather go the kid route. Ouellet seems NHL ready to me.

Personally, I would rather take a chance on a guy like Boyle who has proven to be a top 4 but regressed with age than a guy like Gilbert who has never established himself as a top 4 on a competitive team.

Not too mention The panthers dont even seem interested in retaining his rights. So two basement dwelling teams (FLA, EDM), tried him and decided to move on.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

gilbert would only be welcome if we first got big buff in my scenario.

rt shot, 900k last year so cant be crazy expensive, increases quality depth and then pair ericsson and marchenko

3 left
3 right

much better then who we were embarassed with a month ago

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
#1 target in trade should be Byfuglien.

-Puts up 50 points a year with a bomb from the point.
-Can QB a PP, leaving the Wings with at least Kronwall as the other.
-Can also play the big-bodied forward with good results.
-Only signed for 2 more years.

As the kids develop, the Wings have the option of bringing say, Sproul(or whoever) up and moving Byfuglien to forward. If they struggle, send them down and bring Byfuglien back to defense. It gives the Wings a lot of options in acquiring him.

#2 target should be Stralman. He's not a PP QB, but you also don't have to give up assets to get him. He'd be a quietly effective top 4 guy, that plays defense. Him paired with Ericsson would be a soild shutdown pair IMO.

#3 target should be Niskanen. Everyone knows why, but he's down on this list because of term and salary. I could really his signing blowing up in a teams face. He'll at least get Carle money, probably more.

#4 target: Everyone else.

-Boyle is probably the best of this bunch. Who cares about money, term is the important thing with him. No more than 2 years, 1 would be better. The best thing about Boyle is that he doesn't have to be "the guy" on offense in Detroit. Kronwall takes that position. Seeing him in SJ this past year, he looked like he was pressing so hard to be that all-star offensive dman that SJ needed since they shifted Burns to forward. In Detroit, he'd have to play good defense and score on the 2nd PP unit.

I'd hope the Wings don't go for a top forward in this UFA class. Just about all of them have something I don't like in them.

Plus, I feel Pulkkinen is just about ready, and fills the need of shooter for the Wings.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Hopefully we don't sign someone just to make a signing. We should have two players in mind and if we don't land them, move on. Signing Dmen just to sign them won't help us any.

I'm interested to see what wingers they are looking at...

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Hopefully we don't sign someone just to make a signing. We should have two players in mind and if we don't land them, move on. Signing Dmen just to sign them won't help us any.

I'm interested to see what wingers they are looking at...

I like Moulson and could see a 6x6 contract. Whats the word out of Vaneks camp? Still seeming line Minny? It seems if they sign Vanek they'll have a lot tied up in their top 4 forwards

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Eklund has been saying Markov to Detroit is a good possibility. I'd like that

on the trade forum, habs fans are saying that bergevin is only offering him one year deal.. that should ring some alarm bells.

i'm ok with 2 years but 3 years.. he's already lost a lot of mobility. and another lefty. and plays left side.

so 3 years at 6 mil with full NTC it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad