OT: Planet of the Humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Also, I don't think this is up to farmers to solve. They need to use the best tools available to them to earn a living, grow as much food as sustainably possible on the land they have to work with, and to enjoy their lives while they do so.

Really, governments are the only ones who truly start making the policy changes required to incentivize the changes we need. Until it starts happening there, most of our efforts, while noble, really don't amount to much. Most of the things I try and do on a personal level make very little difference overall but in an effort to not be a hypocrite about these things, I at least am trying.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I have a feeling I know more about oil and gas than you could ever dream of knowing...

We should see a farming boom right now then since the market has been severely oversupplied for a while... Making more oil available doesn't change any other constraints in farming, I have a feeling farmers around the world are able to go buy all the oil and gasoline they need and they are more likely constrained by land and funding.
You don’t know anything about me, and clearly somebody who eats oil knows a lot more about oil than I do.

Reactions: harpoon

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Also, I don't think this is up to farmers to solve. They need to use the best tools available to them to earn a living, grow as much food as sustainably possible on the land they have to work with, and to enjoy their lives while they do so.

Really, governments are the only ones who truly start making the policy changes required to incentivize the changes we need. Until it starts happening there, most of our efforts, while noble, really don't amount to much. Most of the things I try and do on a personal level make very little difference overall but in an effort to not be a hypocrite about these things, I at least am trying.
Big government is not your friend. They have a host of other friends to take care who helped them get elected. Telling you what they think you want to hear happens primarily every 4 year’s. and that’s the guys who might actually get elected. The ones who will never be elected get to spew 24/7/365.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Big government is not your friend. They have a host of other friends to take care who helped them get elected. Telling you what they think you want to hear happens primarily every 4 year’s. and that’s the guys who might actually get elected. The ones who will never be elected get to spew 24/7/365.

There;s an awful lot of people pretty happy for big government's stimulus cheques etc right now. They are not big ole meanies when it comes to keeping them away from being homeless/starvation.

That being said, the government is the only hope of solving the climate change issues. It's why so many of us feel incredibly discouraged at the state of things and why I mostly feel like we're screwed long term.

Reactions: PerformanceMcOil

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
You don’t know anything about me, and clearly somebody who eats oil knows a lot more about oil than I do.
You said more oil out of the ground feeds more people. I was asking if they're just eating it because there's no evidence of a farming boom with these cheap oil prices right now (aka the world is flush with oil).

Apparently you're so sure that more oil = more food, do you work in the oil industry? Have you seen any projections at work that support this idea? Where are you getting this conclusion from?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Smart people are on it.

The top people are actually generally kicking the can down the road for the next government.
Smart people have been developing oil and gas technology for over 100 years. Don’t get me wrong. I fully support options for better living. But incremental efficiencies on a developed technology should not be over looked as an important addition to the ability of the earth to sustain its populations.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Smart people have been developing oil and gas technology for over 100 years. Don’t get me wrong. I fully support options for better living. But incremental efficiencies on a developed technology should not be over looked as an important addition to the ability of the earth to sustain its populations.

Agreed. Isn't that exactly what I said?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
You said more oil out of the ground feeds more people. I was asking if they're just eating it because there's no evidence of a farming boom with these cheap oil prices right now (aka the world is flush with oil).

Apparently you're so sure that more oil = more food, do you work in the oil industry? Have you seen any projections at work that support this idea? Where are you getting this conclusion from?
I’m a chemical engineer and have been around the oil gas chemicals and fertilizer industry for about 40 years. Which means that hopefully I can see and investigate a lot more interesting things still to come. Hopefully it’s not all riots and interest groups.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I’m a chemical engineer and have been around the oil gas chemicals and fertilizer industry for about 40 years. Which means that hopefully I can see and investigate a lot more interesting things still to come. Hopefully it’s not all riots and interest groups.
Oh, so you're not on the E&P side at all, gotcha. Since you'e a chemical engineer in that field, you would also know that natural gas is an excellent feedstock for fertilizer and chemicals, and the current petrochem and GTL projects that are being proposed in AB.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This thread has also had a lot of reports and is OT. Time to lighten the moderating load a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad