GWT: PL Matchweek 6

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Lol yeah Potter is levels clear of Nuno...Nothing mediocre about the way he gets this Brighton team to play.
The argument I am making isn’t so much about the manager.

Both of them are better managers. We can argue how much. I think Potter has zero pressure where he’s at. For what it’s worth, when he came in to Brighton, he had a big winless stretch after an initial result or two from what I can recall. But that’s getting afield.

I think with the players out, the players in, and Kane being want away, even a bit better manager is likely struggling.

Has Nuno been poor? Probably. But I don’t think it’s all on the manager. That’s my only argument. It takes a while to overhaul a big club and handle a lot of ins and outs for anyone.

No one is confusing Nuno with the best manager in the sport. I just think Spurs are a job that a lot of better options passed on for a reason.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Ten hag from Ajax? lol he's levels ahead.
I didn’t have time to specify, but I did above. I don’t think Nuno is better than either. And I do agree Ten Hag is a good bit better. Being asked to do a different job than Nuno has really done for the last bit, but apples to oranges.

I meant more, you could swap either and Spurs are likely still looking for direction. It’s a really hard job. Nuno deserves a bit of the blame, but he was choice at minimum 4-5.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also have no problem saying I think Nuno is a decent manager and for a bit did a good job at Wolves. He clearly helped get something out of some talent and had them playing decent until the wheels fell off last season.

But I think Spurs and the job itself was always going to be a landmine. Best player wants out. Coming in post Jose. Rebuilding needed. Questions about who’s picking the players and what style they want to be. Lot of vets either gone or needed to be. It was a big task. Probably too big for Nuno if they’re going to be out for blood in September

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's not so much about Spurs losing but rather the way they're playing.
Spurs could be mid table and play offensive football under different coaches and people wouldn't be mad and would say "it's going to take some time".
Here we know that even after Nuno settles in, Spurs will be boring to watch.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol, watched the game and that was fun. I thought it was boring for a derby, but it had its moments. Absolutely brutal decision by the goalkeeper, you're a minute or two to get three points and you decided to do a long ball right to a Gulls player. Facepalm to the max, but Maupay made that match interesting tauting the crowd. Oh man he pissed them off when the players were heading towards the tunnels, reminded me of Malice in the Palace.

Reactions: robertmac43

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What does "coming off Jose" mean? Is that any worse than coming off Ferguson or Wenger? Or is it better?

If anything if Mourinho is even close to as "bad" as many on here seem to think it should be the easiest task in the world to take over from him - release all that energy. Nevermind Nuno taking over for Mason.

Evilo is more or less correct in his analysis. As an exmaple a lot of Spursfans didn't want Sherwood to continue, but that had nothing to do with his results. They were more or less as good as any Spursmanager early on. Just that most understood that there were glaring holes in his tactical setups. The same is true with Nuno - and unlike under Sherwood it is not only bad, but also extremely boring (most games under Sherwood was a complete chaos - but the chaos led to some goals at least).

And I'm saying this knowing that Nuno is no fool. And I'm sure the analysts at Spurs understand football better than me (and Spursfans in general). So when I comment on "mistakes" I think managers are doing I'm humbly aware of that. On the other hand I have watched these players for a lot more games than Nuno ever has. And what we are currently seeing is borderline absurd from a tactical point of view (or at least the execution of the tactics). Even under Sherwood I wouldn't have used such strong words.

Can he learn? Conte suddenly found a formation that worked for Chelsea after having looked quite stale. It is not impossible, but nothing to suggest Nuno is anywhere near Conte in general quality - so not holding my breath. Right now if I were to make a silly prediction I would say it is 80% probability for him not being a Spurs manager 12 months from now.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The argument I am making isn’t so much about the manager.

Both of them are better managers. We can argue how much. I think Potter has zero pressure where he’s at. For what it’s worth, when he came in to Brighton, he had a big winless stretch after an initial result or two from what I can recall. But that’s getting afield.

I think with the players out, the players in, and Kane being want away, even a bit better manager is likely struggling.

Has Nuno been poor? Probably. But I don’t think it’s all on the manager. That’s my only argument. It takes a while to overhaul a big club and handle a lot of ins and outs for anyone.

No one is confusing Nuno with the best manager in the sport. I just think Spurs are a job that a lot of better options passed on for a reason.

The losing streak was a lot due to Potter completely changing the way Brighton played. The adjustment from Hughton to Potter was a tough one for the group plus that season he was relying a on a lot of players still there from the championship squad.

I just think you put a Manager that has a focus on possession and fluid attacking play and this Spurs team looks better. Why would Kane buy into a system like Nuno's? The guy wanted to leave this summer and had the possibility of playing for Pep, but instead got stuck with Nuno! :laugh:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Winning will solve the fan’s complaints. As it always does. Go read We Go Marching On, or the Leeds page at not 606, or any of their fan forums. Right now, playing fun football isn’t enough for a significant number of their fans. I’m sure everyone else loves watching Leeds. Their fans, right now? Go read their opinions. Nothing is more fun than winning.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
An attacking possession manager, and they might look better, but are they still shipping goals? I think there's a number of flaws that aren't completely manager related. But who knows. It takes a while with anyone.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad