GWT: PL Matchweek 5

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Just watched the United game on replay. Absolute joke of an officiating disgrace.

United got the win but the VAR should never see another second of officiating.
Kangaroo Court level officiating in the second half. I agree with the penalty call on Shaw, but it was laughable that it should have been anything of consequence.

By the letter of the rulebook, a foul by a defending team on an attacking player in the attacking box is a penalty kick. Period. Ronaldo got fouled twice in his attacking box and nothing was called.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just watched the United game on replay. Absolute joke of an officiating disgrace.

United got the win but the VAR should never see another second of officiating.
The Zouma one in particular is completely outrageous. I can understand the first one somewhat, but the Zouma one is... very very bad.

Reactions: Jussi

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Romero was the least of our problems today. For a first start in such a mishmash of a defence that was solid.

Tanganga has been our best defensive player so far this season. Dier to his credit hasn't been horrible either. Left back is an issue, but I could see Romero and Tanganga making us OK defensively. Which will be a huge step up - even with those 3 clean sheets Spurs' defending hasn't been good for years now.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Zouma foul on Ronaldo was the only clear one for me. The others prior Ronaldo was trying to draw penalties. I’m fine with not rewarding someone trying to throw themselves into it. But the Zouma foul was clearly a penalty.

Shaw’s was clear cut as well. His arm was way too far out to be “natural”

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The Zouma one in particular is completely outrageous. I can understand the first one somewhat, but the Zouma one is... very very bad.

The only way you could say that isn't a penalty is if you believe Ronaldo was diving before any contact.

In which case Atkinson should be immediately fired for staring at a player dive in the box and just deciding it was a goal kick instead of a yellow the other way.

A call of goal kick there is completely indefensible.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The only way you could say that isn't a penalty is if you believe Ronaldo was diving before any contact.

In which case Atkinson should be immediately fired for staring at a player dive in the box and just deciding it was a goal kick instead of a yellow the other way.

I mean Ronaldo was looking for contact. But yeah, Coufal throwing his leg out makes it pretty blatant.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Yeah, the bad call on that one is Atkinson not carding Ronaldo.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Even former West Ham keeper Jussi Jääskeläinen (commentating on VSport in Finland) thought Ronaldo was robbed of a penalty twice.

CASE CLOSED!

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs have a single open play goal, and that was only because of some individual brilliance from Son. Also, the underlying stats are those of a relegation candidate. So f***ing embarassing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spurs have a single open play goal, and that was only because of some individual brilliance from Son. Also, the underlying stats are those of a relegation candidate. So f***ing embarassing.

Meanwhile even though they lost today it seems like Mourinho has finally learned his lesson and is coaching attacking football.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Meanwhile even though they lost today it seems like Mourinho has finally learned his lesson and is coaching attacking football.

Mourinho knows plenty about setting up attacks, he just prefers being more pragmatic/defensive. Nuno however seems absolutely clueless regarding attacking.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mourinho knows plenty about setting up attacks, he just prefers being more pragmatic/defensive. Nuno however seems absolutely clueless regarding attacking.

Yeah I'm not saying they should have kept him. But it is interesting how that's worked out. Also yes Nuno knows very little about attacking and everyone should have known that tbh.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yeah I'm not saying they should have kept him. But it is interesting how that's worked out. Also yes Nuno knows very little about attacking and everyone should have known that tbh.
I think they absolutely needed a change, but Nuno is sure as hell not the right guy.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I cannot stress how absolutely useless Spurs were in that second half like they couldn't possess the ball at all up the field. It was like a relegation team playing a top 4 side in that 2nd half.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
One should maybe have some perspective? Chelsea under Tuchel is the best defensive team in the world. Maybe the very best would create something in that second half, but very few are going to create a lot against Chelsea when they are 2-0 up.

Obviously Nuno hasn't done much in terms of developing attacking play, but I'll take that first half and see if we can play like that against more "normal" teams. If so I'm sure Spurs will create a lot. Question is more if that first half was just a random even or the first step towards something more permanent?

Reactions: bleedblue1223

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sucks that City decided to go into stupid mode and not spend money on a quality striker out there not named Kane. Also sucks Arsenal won't be part of it because this title race has the potential to be the most epic in EPL history.

Benrahma is the biggest unsung hero in the EPL bar none. Superb player.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
FIFA.png

This looks like something out of one of my FIFA career modes. The push for CL continues ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad