GWT: PL Matchweek 5

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
As a LFC fan I laughed. That should be the defining comment about his career.

why? He played full seasons at Southampton, pre-Klopp at Liverpool, and played 30 PL games last season for Brighton. Seems like the comment about his career is a system that wears many down, wore him down.

Reactions: Blender

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
One should maybe have some perspective? Chelsea under Tuchel is the best defensive team in the world. Maybe the very best would create something in that second half, but very few are going to create a lot against Chelsea when they are 2-0 up.

Obviously Nuno hasn't done much in terms of developing attacking play, but I'll take that first half and see if we can play like that against more "normal" teams. If so I'm sure Spurs will create a lot. Question is more if that first half was just a random even or the first step towards something more permanent?

That is definitely the big question. If that's how he wants to play then it doesn't look bad. Problem is, there was nothing resembling that in the 3 previous games, all against worse teams. Is there a word that combines "skeptical" and "optimistic"?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is definitely the big question. If that's how he wants to play then it doesn't look bad. Problem is, there was nothing resembling that in the 3 previous games, all against worse teams. Is there a word that combines "skeptical" and "optimistic"?

Time will tell. I'm not very optimistic, but I thought a couple of the posts here (and a lot elsewhere among Spursfans) were quite a bit over the top in terms of negative over that 2nd half.

Under Tuchel Chelsea have conceded 18 goals in 37 games. 1 goal this season in the league. 14 goals in total in 24 league games since he took over. As soon as Spurs go 2-0 down everyone know they are not coming back - neither are probably any other team going 2-0 down to Chelsea this season. Maybe Liverpool could get back at their best. Teams like United and City would of course create more than Spurs did, but no-one should expect Spurs to be at that level all things considered.

And as long as Kane plays like a complete donkey it doesn't really matter who the manager is. Spurs are not going to score a lot - or even create a lot - even against average teams when you main man is completely off.

Play like that first 45 with Kane 80% of his normal self and Spurs will be competitive in most games. Personally, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect Spurs to be able to play a first half like that already. And it is not like I think that first half is the absolute best Spurs will be able to play this season.

Reactions: Jack Straw

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
why? He played full seasons at Southampton, pre-Klopp at Liverpool, and played 30 PL games last season for Brighton. Seems like the comment about his career is a system that wears many down, wore him down.
Wear so many player down like Salah, Gini, VVD (yes it was a fluke injury) and Robertson? They are always fit. I don't believe the issue is the system. I would say about Lallana it was more bad luck than anything.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, that is the problem in keeping a disgruntled player (Kane). The lack of form and motivation is not surprising.

In a sense, LFC were in a similar boat with both Suarez and Coutinho but the team in general were playing amazingly well so both Coutinho and especially Suarez found their motivation to perform at their best. That being said both were sold less than a year after their request of a transfer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yes, that is the problem in keeping a disgruntled player (Kane). The lack of form and motivation is not surprising.

In a sense, LFC were in a similar boat with both Suarez and Coutinho but the team in general were playing amazingly well so both Coutinho and especially Suarez found their motivation to perform at their best. That being said both were sold less than a year after their request of a transfer.

I was quite openly OK with selling Kane this summer, but I also think he'll be fine. I don't think it is only because of the transfer saga that he is struggling. He has never been good in August and a longer than usual summer tournament probably cost him some as well.

Suddenly he is back at it. I guess I would have been more worried if Spurs had started the season like this with Kane flying.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just saw highlights from United’s game.

I can see why from the ref angle that the first
foul on Ronaldo wasn’t called a penalty but the Zouma one was clear from ref’s angle.

Yeah I'm fine with the no Pen call on the first, but that last one was pretty clear IMO.

Matic on. United ok with the point?

He subbed on for Fred, so it's a net gain regardless.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Now that I finally had some time:

That Burnley-Arsenal game was really ugly, not a lot of chances from either team.

Sarr definitely is a striker and not a winger and it seems a coach has finally noticed that.

After the first few games it seems Wolves have gone back to attacking like they were under Nuno. All they do is give the ball to Traore and hope that he knocks in a decent cross even though that doesn't happen very often. They keep playing like that and they'll be far closer to a relegation team than a team with those players should be.

It is very hard to watch Joelinton play football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad